Need help with latex topper pad on top of innerspring mattress configuration
Sep 29, 2010 2:34 PM
I am a 35 year old, 6 ft, 178 pounds, side and back sleeper, with an ideal comfortaire air bed sleep number of 55, needing to replace my 10 year old IKEA full size mattress. My research and budget suggest that I should try the $289 2" Talalay of ILD 19 latex topper pad from habitat furnishings on top of my current mattress, which I may replace with another $350 IKEA inner spring mattress.

I am wondering if any of you have tried this configuration (latex topper from habitat furnishings on top of a generic inner spring mattress) and what your impressions might be. Would the layers slide?

Here are the factors I've considered so far:

1) Avoided cheap integrated latex because it will sag

2) Habitat furnishings have a 180 trial period for their topper pads, so if I don't like latex which I never tried I can return it.

3) Price is reasonable and I can always keep and use the mattress if the latex is not high quality.

Here's a link to their site if you want to have a look http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/latex_mattress_topper_pads.html

Thanks so much for you time,

Yiannis

This message was modified Sep 29, 2010 by yiannis
Re: Need help with latex topper pad on top of innerspring mattress configuration
Reply #7 Oct 3, 2010 5:37 PM
Leo3 wrote:

I agree with the previous poster that 2" is not enough.  I started with 2" of 24ILD, and added another 2" 24ILD.  It is nice and cushy now.  Perhaps too cushy, LOL.  But I think I probably could have gotton away with 3".

Leo3, are you using the 24ILD talalay latex from RMM?   How do you like it?

They could add 1" if the 2" is not enough.  Gunmann, have you done any research on whether 2 1" pieces would feel noticeably different than 1 2" piece?  That is an issue that has not been explored enough on this forum.  My assumption has been that there would not be much difference, but I have never tested it.

Re: Need help with latex topper pad on top of innerspring mattress configuration
Reply #8 Oct 3, 2010 7:30 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
sandman wrote:

They could add 1" if the 2" is not enough.  Gunmann, have you done any research on whether 2 1" pieces would feel noticeably different than 1 2" piece?  That is an issue that has not been explored enough on this forum.  My assumption has been that there would not be much difference, but I have never tested it.

Sandman,

Every mattress factory I have worked in has glued latex layers together (using latex adheasive) so there is no shifting of layers.  if you use the same ILD two 1" layers feel like one 2" pad.  If you use different ILD's as long as you put the softer ILD on top you will get a mix.  If you put the firmer on top it will feel like the firm one!

Gunman4440

Reply #9 Oct 3, 2010 8:03 PM
gunman4440 wrote:

Sandman,

if you use the same ILD two 1" layers feel like one 2" pad. 

Gunman4440

I disagree.  I think 2 x 1" layers will feel slightly softer than 1 x 2" layer if they are not glued together.  Being separate, the top layer will have more opportunity for lateral displacement in response to the body weight whereas with a solid 2" piece, body weight will cause more downward displacement that I think could result in a slightly firmer feel.

Reply #10 Oct 4, 2010 1:27 AM
sandman wrote:

Sandman, Yes I am using the 24ILD talalay from RMM, 2" layers and then got another 2" over 2 months ago I think.  Now it is soft and cushy.  My shoulders and hips are good now.  But if I add anything other than my trusty soft poly blanket it is no longer soft sad.  I do find though side sleeping my leg (right below the hipline) maybe sinking a bit much and it kinda feels like pushing back sometimes.  If I didn't have the heat factor I probably could sleep through it.  The room is 78 degrees, and yes if only the room was cool I wouldn't have this sauna of a mattress problem.  I can't turn the a/c down though.

Reply #11 Oct 4, 2010 6:03 AM
DianeK wrote:

I disagree.  I think 2 x 1" layers will feel slightly softer than 1 x 2" layer if they are not glued together.  Being separate, the top layer will have more opportunity for lateral displacement in response to the body weight whereas with a solid 2" piece, body weight will cause more downward displacement that I think could result in a slightly firmer feel.

the top layer will have more opportunity for lateral displacement  can you please explain what that means.

Reply #12 Oct 4, 2010 11:10 AM
Leo3 wrote:

.  The room is 78 degrees, and yes if only the room was cool I wouldn't have this sauna of a mattress problem.  I can't turn the a/c down though.

The warm room is probably most of the problem.  There is no general agreement on ideal temperature, but most say somewhere in the 60-72 degree range.  For me, I tend to think high 60s, so your might have a room 10 degrees hotter than ideal.  That is hard to overcome.

Reply #13 Oct 4, 2010 11:13 AM
I really have to get an a/c and bite the bullet and pay the higher electric bill, if it is true that a warm room is the culprit. And I suspect from my own recent experience, that it is.
Reply #14 Oct 4, 2010 12:15 PM
requin wrote:

I really have to get an a/c and bite the bullet and pay the higher electric bill, if it is true that a warm room is the culprit. And I suspect from my own recent experience, that it is.

Maybe you can get an a/c for just your bedroom.  That way you don't have to cool down the whole house.  The Chilipad might be worth a try if returnable.

Reply #15 Oct 4, 2010 12:21 PM
If I get a/c, it would indeed be just for the bedroom (and maybe the adjoining workout room). 

I'm still debating the chilipad. I'm somewhat concerned about being able to feel the tubes/seams as I'm sensitive to that. It does offer a 90 day trial so maybe I'll give it a shot..but at over $400....gee whiz wally that's a lot of money. I think i could get an a/c for less than that..and the chilipad does use electricity too.

There was a used one on ebay going for about $100 but I passed as the seller did not answer some questions before the auction ended.

ETA--Last night I checked the temperature in the room and it wasn't as cool as the previous night when I slept w/out hot spots.  I woke as usual with hot spots so I really do see a pattern starting to emerge. I have to get a better thermometer as the one I'm using is a tiny little keychain thing about 2" high..hard to see actual temp but I can see when it hovers around 60. Seems I slept w/out overheating when it was just under 60 or so, but over 60 the latex still overheated.  A better thermometer will help narrow it down. Then if I get a/c I'll know what to set it at.

I also think if I eat too much spicey food (even black pepper), I overheat more. Odd but true, I think..

This message was modified Oct 4, 2010 by requin
Reply #16 Oct 4, 2010 4:23 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
DianeK wrote:

DianeK;

Your logic seem sound, however please understand even if the two peices were not glued togeather the flat surfaces have so much texture - like really soft sand paper that they are not going to act indepentently any way.  When we place layers of upholstery in a mattress, we don't want them to shift so we glue them to stay in place.  Buy the way the glues used do not in ay way change the feel , affect the feel, have any long term odor, have and any effects that OHSA or the AQMB in any way objects with.

Recent Posts