Need DIY help making a Simmons Beautyrest NXG
Jul 26, 2011 9:08 PM
Me: 5'11" 230lbs (side, stomach sleeper but can deal with anything)
Her: 5'6" 115lbs (side, back sleeper but sleeps very hot)

We've tried several different beds and we've found one that we really like.

Simmons Romana P/T Plush King Size located at Mattress Giant.

We liked that the bed felt cool, laying on it for 15-20 minutes was still cool.  We didn't like the tempurpedic because we sank too far into it (delux model) and could feel the foam reforming around us when we moved.  

From the marketing material it's (from top layer to base)

1 1/2" NXG w/ gel lining 
1/2" latex
2" memory foam 
on top of coils.

It looks like it's the Simmons Beautyrest NXG bed http://www.simmons.com/products/brands/beautyrest/collection.cfm#nxg

I was looking at going with this setup

6" core 36ILD talalay latex
2" mid-core 32 ILD talalay latex
2" topper 20 ILD talalay latex

Am I wasting my time trying to recreate the mattress we liked?  FBM would cost $1300 ish where the mattress we liked was $3500.
This message was modified Jul 26, 2011 by voet
Re: Need DIY help making a Simmons Beautyrest NXG
Reply #1 Jul 26, 2011 10:00 PM
My opinion is that going with the talalay latex set up will be much better than going with the Simmons mattress.  The only concern I would have is maybe you are a little too firm with the middle and top layers of latex for side sleeping.  If you start with what you have, you might have to add another inch or two of soft latex....my guess is maybe another one inch of 20 and/or at least one of 14, based on my experience.  Others will probably weigh in on this too.  The latex should last longer and be more supportive.  The 1/2 inch of latex in the NXG mattress is useless and a marketing gimmick in my opinion.
Reply #2 Jul 27, 2011 5:53 AM
There are a couple of recent threads on DIY mattresses.  The recent reviews of FBM seem to be positive and the quality of latex looks very good.  I think for the money, a DIY latex mattress will give you many years of quality sleep.  Have you tried sleeping on a pure latex mattress?  Some people don't like the feel of latex.
Reply #3 Jul 27, 2011 7:31 AM
Thanks for the replies.  We haven't slept on a pure latex bed but we did lay on a few in the store.  One was a 2" soft on top of a 5" core that felt ok to me but to her she wanted something a bit softer.  

I think I'll take Sall's advice and go 6" ILD 36, 2" ILD 32, 2" ILD 20, try that and add another 1" 20ILD or less on top.  

I keep hearing horror stories about every mattress that we find. Some people complain that the PU foam in the simmons gives out after just a few years. For $3500, I want something that can last.  My thinking with DIY is that if we have any issues, say with the top losing its form, it's just a $250 replacement for that layer to buy another layer assuming it's out of warranty.

Reply #4 Jul 27, 2011 10:41 AM
If the mattress would be too high, you could even reduce your lower level to 4" to reduce the overall height.  
Reply #5 Jul 27, 2011 11:01 AM
I've seen mattresses go from 8" to 15" in size.  Is there a recommended size to be at or is it just personal preferrence? 

While I'm game for anything, she's going to be skeptical until she tries it.  Would it be possible to purchase the 2" topper and 2" mid to try this before spending another $700 on the base 6" core?

This message was modified Jul 27, 2011 by voet
Reply #6 Jul 27, 2011 1:52 PM
voet wrote:

I've seen mattresses go from 8" to 15" in size.  Is there a recommended size to be at or is it just personal preferrence? 

While I'm game for anything, she's going to be skeptical until she tries it.  Would it be possible to purchase the 2" topper and 2" mid to try this before spending another $700 on the base 6" core?

You can do that if you have a base to use for support.  However, just putting it on the floor or a hard surface probably won't give you the same feel since the floor or base won't "give" like the 36 ILD would.  I would say that your size would be determined by the bed, sheets you have, etc.  For example, if you buy a mattress pad or sheets, you might have to get a larger ones for a 15" mattress than an 8" one.  Also, I would think that anything over 12 or 13" would be overkill unless the size of the bed required it.  Most seem to target between 10-12"  but it is mostly personal preference.

Being that your wife sleeps very hot, you might consider buying one of these:  http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/?ref_src=froogle

They are very nice and would "cool" off any mattress, whatever you get.

Plus, for a lot less than $3500, you could find a custom manufactured all latex mattress.  You might do some searches for the area you live in.  Here is one example:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/long-post-about-my-bedding-tribulations-final-relief-through-our-purchase-custom-sleep-design/24378-0-1.html

While, Trigger's bed cost $4500 that was with an adjustable bed.  I'm sure the cost without the adjustable bed is closer to $2500 for a King size.  I have an adjustable bed but I'm not sure I would do that again.  It's a luxury I don't need to get a good night's sleep.

This message was modified Jul 27, 2011 by Sall
Reply #7 Jul 27, 2011 2:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendation for the wool pad, that one looks good.

What's the difference between buying from FBM or going to a local place to have one custom made?

Reply #8 Jul 27, 2011 3:25 PM
voet wrote:

What's the difference between buying from FBM or going to a local place to have one custom made?

I've never bought anything from FBM but some of the reviews have been less than stellar.  Search for them on this forum for info. 

A custom mattress will be one that is designed for you by someone who knows what they are doing.  FBM, it's up to you. 

Reply #9 Jul 28, 2011 12:21 AM
haervoet wrote:

Most likely price.  If you know what you want DIY can be very cost effective.  I agree that FBM reviews have had ups and downs, but two recent reviews here have been positive.  There was a thread that had pics of the latex and it looked good.  No defects, discoloration, tears and the pieces were all the same size.

YMMV

Recent Posts