need to cool down at night
Jun 5, 2008 9:25 PM
I used this forum last year when we purchased a Jamison latex. We thought we made a good buy but I had tons of shoulder pain (only 28 now) and it was the mattress. We exchanged it for a sealy (the only other brand the store carried). So now we have what I consider a cheap mattress when we originally went to purchase something much nicer. It is one that has a made in topper and is not flippable. After only two weeks you could see impressions. This is something that we expected with this type of mattress. The shoulder pain did go away but now I am so hot that I cannot sleep at night. We cannot afford to keep buying a mattress each year. We are hoping to keep this one for a few more years. Is there something I can put on top to help cool me off. I am not a hot person by nature. We have the fan on high at night and the inside temp down lower than we have ever had it before. I cannot sleep and get up in the morning soaking wet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: need to cool down at night
Reply #1 Jun 5, 2008 9:50 PM
Bedfan

Some feel a wool fleece pad under the bottom sheet helps circulate a little air . . others feel exactly the opposite.

Reply #2 Jun 6, 2008 6:09 AM
You didn't mention if your pillowtop was memory foam or if you have a mattress pad in place. Sometimes a standard mattress pad will provide enough insulation from the foam to keep you cool. If you've already tried that and it hasn't worked... well I see you've already got fans going and the thermostat turned down....

If you're convinced the pillowtop is causing the problem you could just remove it. (Check out the threads on mattress surgery) You could replace it with a latex topper. Latex sleeps much cooler than MF.

And while this has nothing to do with the mattress, you're only 28. Certainly too young for the usual reason women get night sweats. Still you might run it by your doctor. There are other conditions that can cause this problem in someone your age.

Reply #3 Jun 6, 2008 8:41 AM
I am not having night sweats. I can sleep on other mattresses and not sweat. It is the topper that is on the bed. It never cools down. I am sunken into the same hole at night and cannot get away to let the spot cool down. We did think about cutting it off, but I am worried that the mattress underneath may be horrible. However, I had not thought about cutting it off and replacing it with a new topper. I really want to stay away from latex because of the last bed we had. I would love to buy a new bed, but we cannot afford to keep buying mattresses that do not work. I hate the thought of spending any money to make this one work, but I will look into the options recommended. Thanks.
Reply #4 Jun 6, 2008 8:42 AM
Oh forgot to mention, we do have a cotton mattress pad and a protect a bed. We have tried both and also tried no pad and nothing helps. It does not help that we live in GA. It is already in the 90's and will only get hotter.
Reply #5 Jun 6, 2008 1:20 PM
Was the latex bed you had before synthetic latex or talalay or ??  I have read complaints about the Sealy latex which is all synthetic compressing.  What Sealy bed is it you have?  Does it have memory foam in it?  I had a spring mattress (europa) that had memory foam in it and it compressed immediately.

Hope you find a solution.
This message was modified Jun 6, 2008 by Leo3
Reply #6 Jun 6, 2008 2:45 PM
sager66 wrote:

Some feel a wool fleece pad under the bottom sheet helps circulate a little air . . others feel exactly the opposite.

Does anyone use wool pads?  Do they help pressure points on the hip area?
Reply #7 Jun 11, 2008 5:58 AM
ga99 wrote:
I am not having night sweats. I can sleep on other mattresses and not sweat. It is the topper that is on the bed. It never cools down. I am sunken into the same hole at night and cannot get away to let the spot cool down. We did think about cutting it off, but I am worried that the mattress underneath may be horrible. However, I had not thought about cutting it off and replacing it with a new topper. I really want to stay away from latex because of the last bed we had. I would love to buy a new bed, but we cannot afford to keep buying mattresses that do not work. I hate the thought of spending any money to make this one work, but I will look into the options recommended. Thanks.

As Emily Litella would say--That's very different. Never mind... Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I really think pillowtops should be illegal. Of course I'm being facetious, but they are just the worst things ever invented to sleep on. They sag almost immediately and are usually so overpadded with soft, soft foam that you just smother in them if you can sleep at all without your back killing you from lack of support.

I know you're reluctant to perform surgery on the mattress, but I think that might be the only real solution. And really, what have you got to lose other than a lot of sweaty sleepless nights? I think someone on the forum reported on removing a pillowtop but I'm not sure if I read it in the new forum or the old one. You could search.

Putting anything over the pillow top--even a very expensive wool topper is only going to give you more to sink into. Then you'd be smothering in foam and wool besides. Removing the pillowtop is the only way to go. I think you can make your current mattress work for you by modifying and customizing. If you don't care for latex or MF there are other kinds of high quality foams like HR, which you can get in a variety of ILDs to suit.

Reply #8 Jun 25, 2008 10:13 AM
Leo3 wrote:

Does anyone use wool pads?  Do they help pressure points on the hip area?

My wife has used wool pads quite a lot and with good results. They aid with ventilation during the night, as she was constantly fidgeting and waking up. They did not give her any discomfort and have solved the problem perfectly!
Reply #9 Nov 26, 2008 9:21 AM
i dissagree with the post saying that mattress toppers are rubbish... i do think youll get what you pay for and so if you choose a memory foam mattress topper or a latex mattress topper around the 3 to 4 inch think then you'll experience the best nights sleep ever...the memory foam mattress topper one (i have a 4inch for the campervan) does retain almost 12 degress C of body temp but we bought a latex one for our bed at home and that is like sleeping on air! it really is lush and doesnt retain body heat...

Recent Posts