natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Oct 6, 2010 1:43 PM
Hi Folks,

Back to experimenting with surgery mattress... tried my "stack" with and without even a relatively thin 10 year old basic cotton skirted pad (JC Penney)... no more than 3/16 inch thick... and the difference was huge.  Much better without the pad.. which stiffened up and firmed up my top layers of 4 lb mem foam and 19 lb latex so that the comfort supplied by them without the pad was.... almost unnoticeable!  So soft and flexible pad is very important, as many here have commented.

So here is the question:  which of these do you have. like, and recommend.. or would you choose?

1.  Walmart (Sandman's)   Out of stock but $169 delivered?

2.   St. Dormeir    $169 free shipping at cuddledown.com   - Nonreturnable

3.   Natura washable  $169 at Bed & Bath order online only.... + 8% sales tax + $15 shipping o= $198 maybe less 20% coupon... but returnable?

I am inclined to go with returnable Natura, though folks here rave about St. Dormeir. 

Thoughts, anyone?

thanks!  shovel99

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by shovel99
Re: natura vs. st. dormeir wool filled mattress pad? A Poll!
Reply #1 Oct 6, 2010 1:48 PM
I haven't tried any of the 3 but were it me I would definitely go with something returnable.  I've lost too much money on nonreturnable bed stuff.

I've seen and handled the Natura pad at a local store (didn't get to lie on it though) and it's very nice, but for me, the seams are a possible problem (diamond quilt pattern).

The St Dormeir ...isn't there also a 3-6 week wait time as they are individually made? (maybe not at cuddedown but I saw that was the case at other online shops).  Something to keep in mind too.

Reply #2 Oct 6, 2010 2:03 PM
there has to be a stocking dealer of Dormeir somewhere.  I can only sell to Canadians but we stock in the standard sizes. 

we used to sell TONS of the Natura washable wool pads.  I actually still have one on my bed.  Over the last year we have moved almost every mattress pad we sell into the Dormeir's, some people may like the smoother fabric on the Natura's better however the Dormeir is more functional.  Keep in mind most places will take back a mattress pad if it has not been used and is sent back in original packaging... It is doubtful any place will offer a full refund on a used bedding item...sounds like returning used underwear to me.

Reply #3 Oct 6, 2010 2:09 PM
The Dormeir is very flexible and I would think would be the least likely to stiffen up your top layers. The skirt is very generous and stretchy so you can get a good fit on the mattress without having the top pad tight as a drum like other fitted pads.
Reply #4 Oct 6, 2010 2:22 PM
The walmart one is really a topper and not a fitted mattress pad.  It is not washable.  It has a nice feel, but does affect the feel of the latex/memory foam.  They did charge shipping and tax at walmart.com, but I believe it is available elsewhere.

The Natura is washable and pretty nice, but does affect the feel as well.  Fairly thick (for a mattress pad) and not a stretchy type of fabric on top. The skirt size is pretty generous, so you can put it on more loosely.

I have never used, but I think that the St. Dormier would have the least affect on feel because it more stretchy and perhaps a little thinner (l think it has a bit less wool) than the Natura.  That is the one I would buy right now if starting from scratch and wanted a washable wool filled mattress pad.  Not sure how different in actual use it would be.

Anything will probably affect the feel, so the least affect would be to use an extra sheet (maybe jersey material??) or two.  Some say jersey is hot, but I think that is mainly if you use it as a top sheet.  Below, I assume it would breath and be a bit more protective than a thinner cotton sheet.

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by sandman
Reply #5 Oct 6, 2010 2:28 PM
budgy wrote:

there has to be a stocking dealer of Dormeir somewhere.  I can only sell to Canadians but we stock in the standard sizes. 

Does anyone know of anywhere in the US that has these in stock?

Reply #6 Oct 6, 2010 2:29 PM
shovel, Berkeley Ergonomics makes a really nice cotton stretchy mattress cover, but it's over $250. 
Reply #7 Oct 6, 2010 5:42 PM
I agree with what Sandman said.   I have the Natura washable wool pad and love it, BUT if I had to order again today I'd get the Dormeir for two reasons-softer stitching lines and stretchy sides.   

I found the best price on the Natura at :  http://thecleanbedroom.com/Organic_Mattresses/Mattress_Pads/Natura_Cotton_and_Wool_Mattress_Pads.htm   With little effort you can find a code online that gives you another 10% off.   I think I paid $137 for Queen size with free shipping.    I also visited their showroom in Kittery, ME before I ordered from them online.   

Reply #9 Oct 6, 2010 9:56 PM
Thanks to All.  Will report back on any choices and results.
Reply #10 Oct 6, 2010 10:20 PM
Doesn't seem like there are many choices if you just want a simple fitted cotton mattress protector.  I found this on Amazon.   I guess you either get a thicker pad which will affect the feel, or just a glorified sheet.  This might be a bit thicker than a sheet, so possible it would work a bit better.

There is also the Tempurpedic protector  which should not affect the feel that much.  Says breathable, but waterproof so not so sure how well it would breathe.

Reply #11 Oct 8, 2010 6:40 PM
requin wrote:

Hard to believe nobody keeps these in stock in US.  Very strange.  I can't find any place within reason of the price of course.

Reply #12 Oct 20, 2010 1:54 AM
requin wrote:

Many Duxiana stores stock them.  I just picked one up today at a Duxiana store in my area.  They are 'private labeled' by Duxiana, but the packaging states that its the Dormeir, and it is.  If you don't have a Dux store near you, I would imagine that they would ship it to you, and it would still be faster than any other route I was able to find.  Also, check with snuggledown.com, I believe their shipping estimate was approx 2 weeks.

I will admit, had it not been for the folks touting the pad on this site, I would have walked away from the Dormeir mattress pad.  It does not look like a quality item at first glance, IMO.  The lady pulled it out of its package because I wanted to see how thick/thin it was and I was like "eek!".  I just didn't expect it to look like it does, and its rather scratchy.

So I have it on my new (one week old) Sam's Club "American Sleep Organic" mattress, which is latex.  I could tell a difference immediately after putting it on.  I've been lounging in bed for about 5 hours now, and it helps with temperature regulation.

This message was modified Oct 21, 2010 by Angel
Reply #13 Oct 21, 2010 10:50 PM

I took the Dormeir off last night, I much prefer my mattress without it.  If anyone is interested in it (king size), send me a PM.  Thanks!

Reply #14 Oct 21, 2010 11:25 PM
I noticed this tonight for anyone who may be interested. It doesn't say so but I'm pretty sure it's the Natura ... exactly the same features, look, and even name ... and it's the least expensive I've seen anywhere.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11535460&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|28683|492&N=4047337&Mo=28&pos=2&No=16&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=492&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=

Phoenix

Reply #15 Oct 21, 2010 11:52 PM
Good catch Phoenix.  I noticed the other night when browsing that they are selling one of Natura's pillows, so I think you are right.
Reply #16 Oct 22, 2010 12:17 AM
Angel wrote:

I took the Dormeir off last night, I much prefer my mattress without it.  If anyone is interested in it (king size), send me a PM.  Thanks!

That is bad news frown since it can't be returned.  Why didn't you like it?  Kinda scared now since I ordered once last week! crying

Reply #17 Oct 22, 2010 12:21 AM
Phoenix wrote:

I noticed this tonight for anyone who may be interested. It doesn't say so but I'm pretty sure it's the Natura ... exactly the same features, look, and even name ... and it's the least expensive I've seen anywhere.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11535460&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|28683|492&N=4047337&Mo=28&pos=2&No=16&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=492&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=

Phoenix

I think that one has been discussed before here.  It looks like a Natura, but I think the only washable one they have does not have a waterproof barrier or the silver in the cotton.  So, maybe this is something they made just for Costco?   I worry about the breathability of anything waterproof.

Reply #18 Oct 22, 2010 12:31 AM
It has the breathable waterproof barrier and the ionic silver ... same as the Natura protect deluxe (same name) and the same layers of cotton, wool, and membrane... and they're both washable.

Course it could be different but it sure looks the same.

Phoenix

Sorry I meant protect deluxe and this is it at the natura site http://www.naturaworld.com/mattress-protector-deluxe

This message was modified Oct 22, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #20 Oct 22, 2010 12:37 AM
Phoenix wrote:

It has the breathable waterproof barrier and the ionic silver ... same as the Natura protect plus (same name) and the same layers of cotton, wool, and membrane... and they're both washable.

Course it could be different but it sure looks the same.

Phoenix

You could be right.  I have not seen that one before.  I think it may be new to their lineup. 

Reply #21 Oct 22, 2010 1:03 AM
It was actually one of the things that impressed me about them. I use colloidal silver often as an antibiotic or when I'm coming down with something, and it's always worked well for me ... just a little slower than antibiotics.

Phoenix

Reply #22 Oct 22, 2010 1:08 AM
Phoenix wrote:

It was actually one of the things that impressed me about them. I use colloidal silver often as an antibiotic or when I'm coming down with something, and it's always worked well for me ... just a little slower than antibiotics.

Phoenix

Have you done any research on how it works in this kind of physical format?  I can't find anything on it.  I can't even figure out how or what their lining is that the silver is in, or on, or...

maybe I'm just too tired right now!

Reply #23 Oct 22, 2010 3:40 AM
No nothing formal although I do know that ionic or colloidal silver kills bacteria and viruses on contact so it would make sense that it could have an effect on keeping a mattress "clean". It's an interesting idea in theory but I really don't know how well it would work in practice. Some of the descriptions at some places are kind of misleading because they imply that somehow it's the silver that makes it waterproof rather than the membrane. I have found out in this search that I really really don't like "unclear" advertising or descriptions. It's just so much work to get to the bottom of things sometimes.

Phoenix

Reply #24 Oct 22, 2010 11:18 AM
Phoenix, 

With all of your internet research you must be aware of Paul Karason and his experiences with colloidal silver. 

You might want to check this out:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria

Philip

Reply #25 Oct 22, 2010 12:17 PM
Yes , very aware of him and others. I think the medical profession as a whole would love it if people believed that anything even resembling normal use could in any way lead to argyria and thats not even taking into account the type of colloidal silver that is used or other nutrients used in combination with it. http://www.clspress.com/tox.html

In the article you cited, the amount considered safe (no risk of argyria or anything else) over the course of a lifetime is "1 liter of 10 ppm colloidal silver per month for a 66 kg person". That's every single month. That's a LOT of colloidal silver taken every single month for the rest of your life.

I could cite you many more references but I'll leave it to you to do your research if you are interested.

It is probably one of the most beneficial "natural medicines" in my view and I am only one of probably dozens of people I know personally that have used it to great effect over a long period of time. Even my 2 kids grew up with it's use.

Now the alternatives ... including the widespread and indiscriminate use of antibiotics and other medicines ... that's another story that I would hope most of us are aware of.

And even if some crazy people took so much colloidal silver (or anything else that can harm you in crazy doses for that matter), that they turned into "greys" the harmful effects would still not approach the "effects" of some of the much more powerful "medicines" that are regularly used and prescribed by the conventional allopathic medical profession http://www.examiner.com/alternative-medicine-in-detroit/deaths-caused-by-conventional-medicine

It's another one of those "topics" that I've done a lot of research into except this research has been over the course of many many years. It's of course outside the scope of a mattress forum though (laughing).

Phoenix

Reply #26 Oct 25, 2010 2:05 AM
I ordered the Natura from Walmart yesterday and I'll report on it when it arrives. My original plan was to go with a thinner mattress pad so it wouldn't affect the feel of the mattress but I like sleeping on wool as well. I didn't get wool in the mattress itself and chose the down alternative because it doesn't compress as much and get "hard" when it compresses but in a mattress pad that wouldn't be an issue (it can be "fluffed" and/or replaced). We sometimes have a glass of wine or something in bed as well so I wanted it waterproof/breathable as well just in case. Combine this with the deal they were offering and I just couldn't resist.

If it does turn out to be too thick and/or affect the feel of the mattress in a negative way, I can always return it and get something thinner.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #27 Oct 25, 2010 4:11 PM
Phoenix, link please for your Natura?

Did you do a review on your mattress on the review section on this forum?  We need all the help we can get here on reviews.  wink

Reply #28 Oct 25, 2010 4:39 PM
The mattress pad was the one I mentioned earlier from Costco.

I'd be happy to do a review on my mattress ... probably in the next few days ... although I've mentioned them a few times in different threads. The mattress itself though was custom built so the review wouldn't refer to an actual mattress or specs that someone else could buy "off the shelf" as much as to a manufacturer ... although anyone could certainly duplicate the specs if they wanted to. I'm assuming that it would still be appropriate for the review section? If it is, I'll wait till I've slept on it for a week and then give the "official review".

Phoenix

Reply #29 Oct 25, 2010 5:58 PM
I searched at Walmart for Natura mattress covers and there was only CSN ones.  What good deal did you get?  I see the link for Costco, thanks, is it the same and is it cheaper?  Let us know what you think of it.

There is a section "Review" next to the forum link on this website.  More people should post their reviews there, they don't seem to as much, guess they expect people to scour the forum.  Not as good for reviewing a mattress.  Yes your review on your particular mattress specs would be helpful. I do see reviews for latex mattress that are custom built, so it is still helpful.

Reply #30 Oct 29, 2010 7:08 PM
I agree with Diane. I have the Dormeir on my FloBed and love it. It's soft and very stretchy. Doesn't change the feel of the bed at all... except it cooled me down this summer, and now that it's cold at night, it's very cozy. I tried the SnugFleece pads, two different ones and found they made the bed much firmer. Yes, the Dormeir is thinner than you'd expect when you open it, but it works... at least for me. And I love that's is washable. smiley

As always, just my opinion,YMMV.

Best to everyone,
Natalie

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #31 Oct 29, 2010 8:39 PM
Diane  i dont see her post what did she say for you to agree.
Reply #32 Nov 12, 2010 3:34 AM
Well I received the Natura from Costco. Actually that's not quite accurate since I'm in Canada at the moment and won't be able to give my personal review for some time but I did ask my sweetie a lot of questions about it and here is the second hand review.

It is thinner than the other Natura's that we saw and probably much closer to the Dormier in thickness (my guess would be about 8oz/sq yd). It doesn't seem to change the feel of the mattress one way or another and she says she really likes how it feels on top of the mattress. It is well made (and she looks carefully at stuff like this) and the sides fit easily over the mattress and stay there. There is no "crinkly" feeling from the waterproof/breathable membrane.

The one thing she mentioned is that it had a very strong smell (she is very sensitive to smells) and that she had to air it out for a couple of days before it went away. It is now gone though and she is very happy. She will be sending me pictures of it when she has a chance (top and bottom) and when I get them I will post them here.

All in all a very happy purchase :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #33 Nov 12, 2010 10:41 PM
Phoenix wrote:

Well I received the Natura from Costco. Actually that's not quite accurate since I'm in Canada at the moment and won't be able to give my personal review for some time but I did ask my sweetie a lot of questions about it and here is the second hand review.

It is thinner than the other Natura's that we saw and probably much closer to the Dormier in thickness (my guess would be about 8oz/sq yd). It doesn't seem to change the feel of the mattress one way or another and she says she really likes how it feels on top of the mattress. It is well made (and she looks carefully at stuff like this) and the sides fit easily over the mattress and stay there. There is no "crinkly" feeling from the waterproof/breathable membrane.

The one thing she mentioned is that it had a very strong smell (she is very sensitive to smells) and that she had to air it out for a couple of days before it went away. It is now gone though and she is very happy. She will be sending me pictures of it when she has a chance (top and bottom) and when I get them I will post them here.

All in all a very happy purchase :)

Phoenix

Glad your significant other is happy with the Natura.  Give us a review after you have used it a month.  Pictures would be great too.  I have come to the sad conclusion though no mattress cover will ever work for me.  crying

I thought I loved the Dormeir until the fifth night, I do love it for back sleeping, but side sleeping caused worse hip pain than before.  Yes I do feel the stitching.  Guess I have more weight in the hips than the skinnier folks here, or they don't side sleep.  My latex is 4" of 24ILD.  So not everyone loves the same thing.  I don't have a mattress cover built in the Dormeir is directly over the latex, maybe that is the difference.  I sink in more.

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #34 Nov 13, 2010 12:49 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Glad your significant other is happy with the Natura.  Give us a review after you have used it a month.  Pictures would be great too.  I have come to the sad conclusion though no mattress cover will ever work for me.  crying

I thought I loved the Dormeir until the fifth night, I do love it for back sleeping, but side sleeping caused worse hip pain than before.  Yes I do feel the stitching.  Guess I have more weight in the hips than the skinnier folks here, or they don't side sleep.  My latex is 4" of 24ILD.  So not everyone loves the same thing.  I don't have a mattress cover built in the Dormeir is directly over the latex, maybe that is the difference.  I sink in more.

I am astounded that the Dormeir is affecting you that much - it is so thin I never would have thought it could cause problems for you.  So sorry to hear that because as you know I love, love, love mine.

Reply #35 Nov 16, 2010 7:28 PM
Here are the promised pictures of the Natura waterproof/breathable/washable wool mattress pad from Costco as promised. They (like my mattress pictures) were taken in artificial light so the colors aren't quite accurate.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 16, 2010 by Phoenix
St. Dormier Pad arrived. Nice quality, does add some firmness... and sleeps warmer.. so the jury is still out.??
Reply #36 Feb 3, 2011 9:18 AM
Came from Cuddledown.com through McGlaughlin Interiors.. not sure how that worked?... $184 "on sale" shipping included.

Very high quality product made my surgery project look like a real mattress again!

Definitely adds some stiffness (compared to only a sheet over the stack), and feels warmer even than sleeping only on a sheet over top layer of 1" 4lb memory foam, if you can imagine that.  As an engineer, having a hard time believing that it can be 'warmer in winter' (yes) and 'cooler in summer' (???????), and may have it long enough to find out.

The first night I woke up with the stabbing pinched shoulder pain... 1st in months, when experimenting with the cotton flannel sheet blanket.

But the curious thing is that after a day or two, I started sleeping OK on it... even "better."

I am suspicious that the improvement was that I adapted to the firmer mattress by sleeping on my back to escape the shoulder crunch... and then the firmer feel was better for my lower back problems.   There is some extra give from the plush top vs. only a sheet... so a layer of 14 ILD may work just right.. or some other combination might be perfect.

Since I have at least 2 half ;pieces of at least 6 different firmnesses and materials, I can now retry them all with the new topper.

From set theory:   6x6x5x4x3x2 possible combinations for 6 inches high, or 4,320 possibilities.... 11.8 years at just once per night.  I'll be back in touch!

Shovel99/ Paul

This message was modified Feb 3, 2011 by shovel99
Reply #37 Feb 3, 2011 8:09 PM
So everyone seems to think that Dormier product is best if you want the least change to your existing mattress. But what if (like me) you are looking to soften (pillowtop up) your mattress? Is one of the Natura toppers better?

Also, I assume that in general toppers have more wool in them than pads, so if you want plushness/softness you want a topper, not a pad?

I guess the bad thing about toppers is that they usually don't have straps or any other way to attach to the mattress, so they can slip around?

Steve

Reply #38 Feb 3, 2011 8:17 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

So everyone seems to think that Dormier product is best if you want the least change to your existing mattress. But what if (like me) you are looking to soften (pillowtop up) your mattress? Is one of the Natura toppers better?

Also, I assume that in general toppers have more wool in them than pads, so if you want plushness/softness you want a topper, not a pad?

I guess the bad thing about toppers is that they usually don't have straps or any other way to attach to the mattress, so they can slip around?

Steve

Natura topper + Dormeir works well....you can't really machine launder wool toppers anyway.

Reply #39 Feb 4, 2011 2:04 PM
"you can't really machine launder wool toppers anyway."

Actually there are washable wool toppers now, like this one from Natura: http://www.naturaworld.com/topper-washable

It's about 1.25" thick which should help in terms of softness. I was hot on this because I fear that any wool will eventually compress and form body impressions, and I thought that washing would "fix" the body impressions. However, I asked about this on the Natura website and they said that "Washing will not guarantee refluffing." So now I am less interested.

In addition, it doesn't have straps or anything to hold it in place, just sits on top of the bed. And its pretty pricey ($360 for king). So, still looking...

Steve

This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by st3v3k4hn
Reply #40 Feb 4, 2011 4:08 PM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

"you can't really machine launder wool toppers anyway."

Actually there are washable wool toppers now, like this one from Natura: http://www.naturaworld.com/topper-washable

It's about 1.25" thick which should help in terms of softness. I was hot on this because I fear that any wool will eventually compress and form body impressions, and I thought that washing would "fix" the body impressions. However, I asked about this on the Natura website and they said that "Washing will not guarantee refluffing." So now I am less interested.

In addition, it doesn't have straps or anything to hold it in place, just sits on top of the bed. And its pretty pricey ($360 for king). So, still looking...

Steve

that washable topper is not nearly as thick as the non-washable ones for the same price.  and out of the 10 or so that we sold, I had one or 2 customers have theirs bunch up on them in the wash.  

A Dormeir and a comfort plus topper could be had for not much more than the price of the washable topper.  and you would be getting 43 oz of wool per yard versus 18.  

Reply #41 Feb 4, 2011 5:18 PM
budgy wrote:

1. that washable topper is not nearly as thick as the non-washable ones for the same price.  
  2. and out of the 10 or so that we sold, I had one or 2 customers have theirs bunch up on them in the wash.  
  3. A Dormeir and a comfort plus topper could be had for not much more than the price of the washable topper.  and you would be getting 43 oz of wool per yard versus 18.  

1. Yes I noticed that! $360 for the washable, $250 for the classic which is essentially the same size/weight/height.
  2. Very useful feedback! So if washing the topper doesn't help refluff it, what's the big advantage to having a washable topper? Just easier to clean if you spill on it or something? (Not a problem for me, my wife is allergic and we have an allergy cover that would keep the wool clean.)
  3. Why buy both the Natura and a Dormier? Why not (for example) get the thicker "super" topper they make? Roughly 4x the wool of the classic for less than twice the price? http://www.naturaworld.com/bedding-topper-plus Has anyone tried this? It looks like it would be awesome for a little while, but I'm worried it would be like my old feather bed and need fluffing all the time.

I am so worried about body impressions that I don't think I want more than an inch or 2 of wool. Natura says the classic is 1.25" thick which sounds about perfect to me. I'm just trying to figure out if this would be softer than Dormier?

Steve

Reply #42 Feb 5, 2011 7:34 AM
I have decided that I don't like the feel of the St. Dormier and will be selling it.  Anyone in this thread interested?  It has been slept on perhaps a week, and has been covered by a sheet,

and will come As New in the original packing.  I am thinking $140 shipped to Conus?  Does that sound fair?

Good luck to all.

Shovel99/Paul

Reply #43 Feb 5, 2011 12:35 PM
what kind of allergy cover do you use?  I recommended a pad + topper only because of hygiene.
Reply #44 Feb 5, 2011 1:39 PM
DianeK wrote:

I am astounded that the Dormeir is affecting you that much - it is so thin I never would have thought it could cause problems for you.  So sorry to hear that because as you know I love, love, love mine.

Thanks.  I am just like Edison... who after 10,000 failures someone asked if he should give up.  He replied "No, I have just eliminated one more way it cannot be done, so I am making progress."  Or so the story goes. 

paul

Reply #45 Feb 5, 2011 2:02 PM
budgy wrote:

what kind of allergy cover do you use?  I recommended a pad + topper only because of hygiene.

I think its the barrier 2 from here: http://www.missionallergy.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=6

I would rather not have it but wife is very allergic to dust mites and insists on a cover. it feels pretty soft to me, i don't think it affects things much...

Recent Posts