MountainAir Sensations
Feb 4, 2008 11:33 AM
Has anyone tried this mattress from Denver Mattress?  It is their version of a chambered air mattress support (like Select Comfort) with a 2" latex (possibly Talay but maybe Dunlop) top comfort layer.  What does anyone think of this combination where a bad back is the main concern and pressure point relief is secondary.  Thanks
Re: MountainAir Sensations
Reply #1 Feb 5, 2008 6:35 PM
It would help if you'd have given a url, but I found it:
http://www.denvermattress.com/groups_1-184-0-0-0-4.htm

Here's the description:

"Featuring a 2” Eco-Friendly Talalay Latex Comfort Layer, Next Generation Tri-Zone air chambers, a whisper quiet leak-free pump, and independent head, lumbar and foot support for both you and your partner all created with legendary Denver Mattress quality. "

I have never tried an air bed. I like that it is tri-zoned so you can adjust the zones of your mattress, and if you like 2" of Talalay on top, that could work.

Potential problems that I see are:
What if you do not like how Talalay feels? then you'll have to go out and buy a new topper at a cost of 100-300 depending on what size your bed is... and what kind of topper you buy...
What is the ILD or IFD of the Talalay topper?

If you don't like it you're going to have to rip open that beautiful topper and replace the topper with something you like.

If you don't like the bed you're going to have to pay shipping back to them. How much will that cost from where you live?

If you are sold on an air bed, I'd look for one nearby that is a basic model, no topper or hardly any topper. Then add your own topper.
Buying ANY mattress with a built in topper is a mistake in my view because if you don't like it at some point later, you've got to rip it out of there.

You might check out flobeds.com's air and latex. Not sure if it's any cheaper but I imagine it's built so you can replace the topper and try different ones. Not sure if they have a zoned one, though.

Maybe they're worth it but air beds seem so over-priced, to me...

Buy a 4" core base of HR foam ILD 41 or so, and then put a some layers of latex and/or memory foam on top. Much cheaper!
Reply #2 Mar 16, 2008 8:58 PM
it has been awhile since you posted our message...did you get the MountainAir?  I am considering this bed with the topper?  I bought one of their beds in Aug and it gets more uncomfortable each and every night.  DMC said they will do a one time exchange and I thought I might try the air bed?  any thoughts or suggestions/
Reply #3 Mar 26, 2008 9:34 PM
Polarbear - I did not purchase a bed yet.  Since I didn't get any replies on this forum, and the saleguys at DM are really pushy, and I haven't heard very many good things about DM, I have put off my looking around.  Tempted to buy one of their Doctor's Choice spring beds and try some latex toppers over the mattress....  Sorry for the delayed reply - I haven't been checking the forum much since it hasn't been much help as far as DM.
Reply #4 Mar 28, 2008 4:50 AM
I wouldn't buy anything from a pushy salesman. You know they are only interested in one thing. Making a sale. Look around elsewhere. You should feel comfortable before you buy the mattress as well as after.

And I agree with Jim. Don't buy a mattress with a built-in topper. Comfort levels with latex are very personal. You're better off adding your own topper that can be exchanged for a different ILD or thickness if you need to tweak it, or easily replaced down the line if your needs change.

Recent Posts