Mattress/topper ideas for side sleeper
Jan 19, 2014 9:57 PM
I am a chronic side sleeper.  I suffer the usual problems of pains on my shoulders and hips as well as my arms falling asleep as the result of sleeping on my side.  This causes me to have toturn to my other side numerous times every night.

I'm currently sleeping on an old standard queen mattress with a thin cheapo sponge/foam topper.  It doesnt have near enough give and is simply too hard for sleeping on my side.   My plans are to replace my mattress and topper for some newer, better quality components.  

My new mattress would be a standard firm queen.  I want to use a 3inch thick, 5lb memory foam topper and then above that a fitted plush pillow topper.   Would that be a good solution to my side sleeping pains?

The expensive mattress route for me doesnt sound good.  I've seen all types of mattresses go flat with time requireing the whole thing be replaced.  Worn toppers are cheaper and easier to replace.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

This message was modified Jan 20, 2014 by a moderator
Re: Mattress/topper ideas for side sleeper
Reply #1 Jan 24, 2014 11:41 AM
Your thinking sounds good. 

Im not sure about putting a pillow topper over memory foam. The memory foam might not get warm enough to conform to your body. 

Re: Mattress/topper ideas for side sleeper
Reply #2 Apr 17, 2014 12:39 PM
Orly wrote:

I am a chronic side sleeper.  I suffer the usual problems of pains on my shoulders and hips as well as my arms falling asleep as the result of sleeping on my side.  This causes me to have toturn to my other side numerous times every night.

I'm currently sleeping on an old standard queen mattress with a thin cheapo sponge/foam topper.  It doesnt have near enough give and is simply too hard for sleeping on my side.   My plans are to replace my mattress and topper for some newer, better quality components.  

My new mattress would be a standard firm queen.  I want to use a 3inch thick, 5lb memory foam topper and then above that a fitted plush pillow topper.   Would that be a good solution to my side sleeping pains?

The expensive mattress route for me doesnt sound good.  I've seen all types of mattresses go flat with time requireing the whole thing be replaced.  Worn toppers are cheaper and easier to replace.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Orly. Side sleepers need a cushy sleep surface.  The problem is when a side sleeper has a lower back that does not like a soft sleep surface.  Companies like flobeds deals with this problem well by creating zoned mattresses where the chest/shoulder area is different than the bottom area.  In addition to zoned latex you should know that people swear by 5lb memory foam to deal with the shoulder problem. Mattdud

Recent Posts