Mattress surgury or buy new?
Dec 23, 2013 11:43 AM
Dear Forum users,

I am hoping to get some help from the people on this forum to decide whether I should attempt surgery on my Beautyrest masttress or just buy a new one.  The mattress is 6 years old and appears to be the equivalent of the currently selling Simmons Beautyrest World class recharge. I want to get something  new or fix the one I have because I am a side sleeper and the last two years I have been getting neck pains when I try to sleep and my arm is falling asleep.  I attribute this to the large impression that has formed where I sleep.  I have seen several great discussions regarding the surgery route and though from the research on foams that I have done on the internet show the cost that look like it could approach half a new mattress.  So my questions are:

1.  If I buy a new mattress what is the bst type to avoid this problem in the future?  I assume something without a pillow top and a bit firmer.  This I hope would last longer due to the higher density foams but also would allow me to put a mattress topper on it if I want it softer and if that wears out I can just replace the topper instead of having to due the surgery in the future...

2. If I try surgeury how much am I looking at to make this mattress as new?  Can someone please recommend a website to buy the HR and latex foams from?  I know the Talady cesion is popular, a 2 inch king size is $600 on sleeplikeabear.com.  My worry is that if I go this route I could end up spending close to $800-$1000 on foams and not get the right ones and enp up not being able to return them.

Re: Mattress surgury or buy new?
Reply #1 Apr 15, 2014 2:50 PM
jarede7 wrote:

Dear Forum users,

I am hoping to get some help from the people on this forum to decide whether I should attempt surgery on my Beautyrest masttress or just buy a new one.  The mattress is 6 years old and appears to be the equivalent of the currently selling Simmons Beautyrest World class recharge. I want to get something  new or fix the one I have because I am a side sleeper and the last two years I have been getting neck pains when I try to sleep and my arm is falling asleep.  I attribute this to the large impression that has formed where I sleep.  I have seen several great discussions regarding the surgery route and though from the research on foams that I have done on the internet show the cost that look like it could approach half a new mattress.  So my questions are:

1.  If I buy a new mattress what is the bst type to avoid this problem in the future?  I assume something without a pillow top and a bit firmer.  This I hope would last longer due to the higher density foams but also would allow me to put a mattress topper on it if I want it softer and if that wears out I can just replace the topper instead of having to due the surgery in the future...

2. If I try surgeury how much am I looking at to make this mattress as new?  Can someone please recommend a website to buy the HR and latex foams from?  I know the Talady cesion is popular, a 2 inch king size is $600 on sleeplikeabear.com.  My worry is that if I go this route I could end up spending close to $800-$1000 on foams and not get the right ones and enp up not being able to return them.

Jarede.  You should buy new.  The Sbrands only seem to last for 6 years these days.  Your mattress is beyond the surgery stage.  You are correct that you should avoid mattresses with squishy tops if you wan to avoid deep impressions in a the years to come.  The best results that I have read about here are from people who purchased a firm bed then adjusted the comfort level with a topper. Mattdud.

Re: Mattress surgury or buy new?
Reply #2 Apr 30, 2014 10:39 AM
Buy new. No question about it. 

Recent Posts