Mattress Pads
Mar 23, 2010 10:11 AM

Greetings!

I have just bit the bullet and bought a Shifman Belize from Bloomingdales.  After two rounds of 2000 dollar mattresses sagging after 6 months (I weigh 130 pounds), I decided it was worth the investment. 

I want to protect this is best I can – night sweats, spills, etc.  I drink my morning coffee in bed and have my evening tea.  Any recos for mattress protectors?  Your site is a blessing.  Wish I had found it 2 years ago.

Sweet Dreams!
S

Re: Mattress Pads
Reply #1 Mar 26, 2010 2:36 PM
I just did the very same thing – bit the bullet and bought a latex foam mattress with box spring from Original Mattress Factory – and I was wondering about mattress pads. OMF had two "waterproof" models for sale, one with a terrycloth cover ($40) and one with a quilted cover ($55). Waterproof would protect from spills, but wouldn't it also cancel out the breathability of latex and start to feel clammy? There was no mention of the waterproof fabric also being breathable. (In my experience with outerwear, even Gore-Tex and the like is never truly waterproof and breathable, you get more of one or the other.)

Also much thanks for the words of wisdom on this site. We were considering memory foam – whew!

Reply #2 Mar 26, 2010 3:13 PM
I have tried SO many mattress pads. I've returned those I could, and have a closet full of those I couldn't.

I finally found one waterproof pad that I love, (bought it for my Tempurpedic). It's made by Southern Textiles, a company owned by Leggett and Platt. It's a micro-plush material on top that is thin, waterproof,  breathable, doesn't hold heat, and the best part ... it doesn't feel like or sound like it's plastic!

TP brand and other waterproof pads I've tried all felt like sleeping on plastic bags or had very short, scratchy feeling terry cloth on top.

Company link

Where to find link

I got mine on ebay for 55.00.

Please know the above is my opinion only, your milage may vary.smiley

Natalie.

This message was modified Mar 26, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #3 Oct 8, 2010 11:52 AM
Natalia wrote:

I have tried SO many mattress pads. I've returned those I could, and have a closet full of those I couldn't.

I finally found one waterproof pad that I love, (bought it for my Tempurpedic). It's made by Southern Textiles, a company owned by Leggett and Platt. It's a micro-plush material on top that is thin, waterproof,  breathable, doesn't hold heat, and the best part ... it doesn't feel like or sound like it's plastic!

TP brand and other waterproof pads I've tried all felt like sleeping on plastic bags or had very short, scratchy feeling terry cloth on top.

Company link

Where to find link

I got mine on ebay for 55.00.

Please know the above is my opinion only, your milage may vary.smiley

Natalie.

Natalie,

How is your Southern Textiles microplush pad working out? Are you still using it?

Recent Posts