Matress topper - help needed
Feb 7, 2014 5:35 PM
We had a 10 yr old mattress (traditional innerspring and pillow top) which was in need of replacement

My wife remembers very fondly of her grandmother's foam latex mattresses, how plush, soft and supportive they are, so naturally we decided to spend the bucks to get a latex mattress.  She is handicapped (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosed at 11 yrs of age ... we are 65.  She has artifical hips and knees and metal supports in her neck) and whereas she needs a very soft mattress, she also needs a very supportive environment.  Her shoulders require padding, heels are irritated by firmness, and we currently place folded towels under her arms for support.  She sleeps 90% of her time on her back which may be due to her inability to turn or scoot easily.  Anyway, we purchased a 4 layer latex mattress; 2 layers are medium, then going up the stack is a soft and on top is an extra soft.  In addition, we had sewn into the top of the mattress cover an extra one inch of extra soft latex foam to give what was presumably an extra plush feel.  When we ordered it, I actually was afraid it might be TOO soft for her.

Now to the problem.  It is not only not too soft, but surprisingly does not give her the arm/shoulder support she needs, and her heels rub on the mattress and she is awakened with the back of her heels feeling almost "abraded" since her skin is very subject to any source of friction.  the latex mattress itself is quite comfortable for me, who has no particular physical needs other than a good nights sleep, so we find value in maintaining as much of the function as possible.  So we decided to look into getting a mattress topper (3 " +/-) that might give her the extra "plush" that she requires.  We have looked into a WOOL topper, but are being told that its fluff will compact after weeks or so, and would need to be rejuvenated quite frequently otherwise  my wife would find herself sleeping on pad which would be not as supportive as when we purchased it.

We looked at memory foam, but you "sleep IN" memory foam, and when she lies on it, she sinks in, and then cannot move.  She feels pretty much like a beached whale, even though she weighs less than 120 lbs.  We considered a "convoluted foam pad" of three inches of egg crate soft foam, but since most mattress pads are not returnable, I am hesitant to spend a lot of money getting more foam that is no more supportive than the 3" of extra soft that currently is on our latex bed.  Feather bed toppers are purported to not hold its fluff  and "down alternative" seems to be the "mystery meat" of toppers.

Does anyone have any experience that I can draw upon to resolve what had proven to be a very difficult situation for us?  Since latex mattresses have very little edge support, just replacing the medium layers with soft will complicate her ability to sit on the edge.  If it is too firm, she wakes up in terrible pain all night long.  We purchased an inexpensive fiber fill mattress pad just to demonstrate whether the fiber fill would take the edge off her discomfort enough to give us confidense we are going in the right direction.  YES it demonstrated that for about 2 weeks, and the fiber fill compressed and she lost all of her support

Finally, I, as a general rule, have found not retailers of mattress toppers that allow returns.  therefore the only way I know to accomplish a solution is to resolve myself to buying a topper for our king size bed for anywhere between 500 and 900 bucks, well acknowledging the fact that if it does not work, I will have to just consider it a cost of experimentation.

If anyone can opine on a direction, we would truly appreciate it.

Larry

This message was modified Feb 9, 2014 by charnlar
Re: Matress topper - help needed
Reply #1 Feb 25, 2014 2:22 PM
Charniar,

I have an all latex mattress and am experimenting with pressure relief options for the top.  A latex salesman told me to add either 1" or 1 1/2 " convoluted Super soft polyfoam over the latex, under the mattress cover to take the 

"hardness" edge off of the latex.  I have ordered a 1 1/2" convoluted super soft polyfoam form here:  http://www.foambymail.com/SS_2/super-soft-foam-mattress.html   It is very inexpensive.  

What is your mattress cover made of?  The cover can have a tremendous effect on the feel of a mattress.  Some have some soft polyfoam quilted with the cover for softness.  I have found that wool will mat down and then is less effective

as a pressure relief material, but some like the wool toppers.  Latex to me has a hard feel even in soft ilds. 

This company here:  http://invigocollection.myshopify.com/collections/toppers    has a return policy, if you can package a topper back up and send back.  It isn't easy.  You can call and ask for advice on choosing a topper.  

I'm not sure what work for her if the latex is not supportive enough and still not soft enough.  Maybe the extra soft latex is too soft for support or the support layers aren't firm enough?    Might have to go firmer somehow then add an inch of super soft polyfoam or something else.  Does the mattress feel supportive to you?  

Just some ideas... I too am not comfortable on my latex yet.

This message was modified Feb 25, 2014 by a moderator
Reply #2 Feb 27, 2014 1:49 PM
Thank you for your response.  My current Mattress is 4 layers of latex, extra soft-soft-medium and medium.  The mattress cover is non-woven cotton, with an inch of wool, and an extra layer of (1 inch) "super soft" latex.  When I talked to the manufacturer, they make a convoluted topper, but again it is wool plus a layer of egg crate.  The indication was that it will relieve pressure points, but not necessarily add "cush", however you define that.  At one point we considered a wool topper, but were told, as you mention, that it settles and unless I fluff it ever couple of weeks, it will not provide the support my wife needs.

We have found that HER needs are probably not something most sales people are used to dealing with.  Yes, it needs to be soft enough for her to feel supported, but not so soft that she cannot "scoot" to position herself in bed. The latex SEEMS to give the support she needs but is hard on her heels and shoulders. 

I will definitely check out the link below, and do indeed appreciate the information.

Reply #3 Feb 27, 2014 2:46 PM
I will write again when I receive the 1 1/2" polyfoam to try on top of my mattress.  I will let you know if it helps and if it feels different than the soft latex.

Not sure if your mattress has a zipper... if it does you can experiement with unzipping it or keeping it off and laying directly on the latex just to get more information and 

feedback from her.  A mattress cover can give a hard feel too.  I cut mine off in desperation when I realized it was too thick and stiff and gave a hammock effect to the latex below.

I will buy a stretch mattess cover to encase all my layers once I am satisfied.  Hopefully, that day will come.

Some women who need a very soft mattress top use feather beds.  I know they are expensive though. I've slept on them in Europe when I was young and thought they were amazing.

I am using this as a mattress pad currently:  http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Plush-Bamboo-Top-Mattress/dp/B008URGSWO   It gives some additional softness under sheets, but I'm not sure 

if it hinders the feel of the latex.  My feet, ankles, hands feel like they have much more softness to rest upon.    I also use cotton knit sheets that are very soft also, (from THe Company Store).  

Recent Posts