LATEX: without wool/cotton covers?
Jul 10, 2014 3:04 PM
I am considering buying a slab of Talalay latex, with just a thin cotton cover (like a sheet), and adding a topper if necessary.  I would buy it from a foam shop.   Considerably cheaper than getting one with a thicker wool/cotton cover that makes it more like a regular mattress.

Just wondering if this would work.  Why would I need that thick outer mattress?  Main reason for buying latex is to avoid dust mites -- daughter is extremely allergic.  Wouldn't the wool/cotton thick outer mattress attract more dustmites than the plain latex slab?  With a thin outer covering, we could remove it and wash it frequently, as we do with her sheets, to avoid the allergens.

Is the main reason everyone sells these with outer mattress covers because of the flame retardent regulations?  So they do wool/cotton to avoid using chemicals, but to comply with the regs?

Has anyone done this -- just buy the slabs and put your own thin (washable) covers over them, and let it go at that?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Re: LATEX: without wool/cotton covers?
Reply #1 Jul 11, 2014 4:10 PM
beanish wrote:

I am considering buying a slab of Talalay latex, with just a thin cotton cover (like a sheet), and adding a topper if necessary.  I would buy it from a foam shop.   Considerably cheaper than getting one with a thicker wool/cotton cover that makes it more like a regular mattress.

Just wondering if this would work.  Why would I need that thick outer mattress?  Main reason for buying latex is to avoid dust mites -- daughter is extremely allergic.  Wouldn't the wool/cotton thick outer mattress attract more dustmites than the plain latex slab?  With a thin outer covering, we could remove it and wash it frequently, as we do with her sheets, to avoid the allergens.

Is the main reason everyone sells these with outer mattress covers because of the flame retardent regulations?  So they do wool/cotton to avoid using chemicals, but to comply with the regs?

Has anyone done this -- just buy the slabs and put your own thin (washable) covers over them, and let it go at that?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Beanish.  I think you are on the right track for reducing the amount of dust mites in your daughter's bedding.  I question the comfort level of a single sheet over latex but it is worth a try.  You should not be afraid to use a washable mattress pad and wash it each time you do the sheets.  Traditional mattresses have layers upon layers of cotton/wool and other materials that allow dust mites in.  The problem is that you cannot wash them out.  With your solution you can do just that.  Let us know how it goes.  Mattdud

Reply #2 Jul 13, 2014 5:18 PM
I have just a washable wool filled mattress pad and top sheet over my foam.  

The wool mattress pad might help regulate temperature by absorbing some moisture/reducing humidity.  Also, it might help protect the latex from sweat and body oils. 

I don't worry too much about dust mites, but I can wash it whenever I want to. 

Reply #3 Aug 5, 2014 1:39 PM
Hi, in theory what you are describing would work however, there are 2 issues.  The first is that the latex will dry out fast as it is exposed to air.  What happens when it drys out is it gets brittle and crumbles.  The second is the fire retardant issue.  By law, the manufacturers are putting a layer of fire retardants in along with the wool and cotton.
This message was modified Aug 5, 2014 by a moderator

Recent Posts