Latex Mattress
Jan 22, 2012 4:51 PM
I am looking for a new mattress and considering all except inner springs.  I ran across this site and have been reading about two companies, Flobed and SleepEZ.  Both seem to offer latex sections that make up the mattress. Here's my question.

Don't these sections separate and add to the compression of the mattress?  With these sections, it seems that this would make the mattress sag very quckly.  Flobed had a vZoptin one that has even more separate pieces.  Can anyone tell me if I way off base here?

Thanks,

Monte

Re: Latex Mattress
Reply #1 Jan 22, 2012 8:01 PM
No, it doesn't work like that.  Not sure I understand your logic but maybe it's me.  As far as the vzone from Flobeds, the vzone layer has velcro holding the strips together in the zoned layer and then it is covered by the soft convoluted layer.  You don't notice any separation of the layers or sections of the vzone.  Compression resulting in sag will happen when the poly foam layersor any layers don't spring back and stay compressed and give no support remaining compressed.  Flobeds latex and Sleepez latex provide support and push back and shouldn't stay compressed....thus the advantage of latex.   I believe memory foam springs back more slowly and generally, will give less support.  Now the different softnesses of latex (lower ILD numbers) will compress more giving more softness and less support than higher ILD numbers (which are more firm) so there is a trade off.  I hope this helps some but maybe someone else can explain it better.  Poly foam seems to generally stay more compressed over time and mattresses with that type of foam will often start staying compressed (sagging) in anywhere from several months to a year or so.  My last Simmons World Class, started giving us noticeable sag after about 9 months causing back pain.  This seems to be a common story on this forum.
Reply #2 Jan 22, 2012 9:25 PM
@Sall - Thank you for the information.  Not to enact the "princess and the pea", but are you saying you will not feel the join sections of any of the layers when lying on the mattress?  And they don't slip around either?   I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of mattress "parts".

Monte

Reply #3 Jan 23, 2012 3:18 PM
monte wrote:

@Sall - Thank you for the information.  Not to enact the "princess and the pea", but are you saying you will not feel the join sections of any of the layers when lying on the mattress?  And they don't slip around either?   I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of mattress "parts".

Monte

You can't feel the seams but you can feel the different zones.  There is friction between layers and they don't slide around....latex layers are not slippery.  Maybe if you dive on them hard from an angle some layers might separate but I don't get in bed that way.  For the Flobeds and Custom Sleep Design mattresses and most others, I think they come with a case which helps to hold them in place.

Reply #4 Jan 26, 2012 2:43 PM
Sall wrote:

You can't feel the seams but you can feel the different zones.  There is friction between layers and they don't slide around....latex layers are not slippery.  Maybe if you dive on them hard from an angle some layers might separate but I don't get in bed that way.  For the Flobeds and Custom Sleep Design mattresses and most others, I think they come with a case which helps to hold them in place.

I have a sleepez mattress.  The layers of latex are zipped into a cover, there is no where for the layers to slide.  Each layer weighs between 35-50 pounds.  Moving a latex mattress is a lot like moving a very large dead body--and if you've ever tried to move a dead body before, you know how difficult it is.  If not, take my word for it.  :)

This message was modified Jan 26, 2012 by thewayiseethings
Reply #5 Jan 26, 2012 5:18 PM
Sall wrote:

You right about that. Hav eyou ever tried to slide to rubber erasers together. They grip like crazy

Recent Posts