Innerspring Mattress with Latex Top?
Jun 15, 2009 5:24 PM
After initially being interested in the Sleepez Euro Innerspring Mattress with the latex topper it appears that they do not ship this model.  As an alternative is anyone aware of any Innerspring Mattresses with latex top layers that avoid all the foam that the S brands use? Thanks.
This message was modified Jun 16, 2009 by robdmb
Re: Innerspring Mattress with Latex Top?
Reply #1 Jun 18, 2009 12:45 AM
I think you are on the right track. I took the top off my Sealy Posturepedic and replaced the 2.5" thick polyurethane with a 1" 32 ILD talalay topper. It was a good move. I went from hating my bed to loving it. I wrote a review and described the inside of my bed here: Sealy Posturepedic Reserve, Firm - Reserve, Queen size, Firm

Matt
Reply #2 Jun 18, 2009 8:16 AM
Thanks for the response. Ideally I want to avoid having to do mattress "surgery." Thats why something like the Sleepez where it unzips and you replace it looked appealing.
Reply #3 Jun 18, 2009 9:53 AM
i cant advise a make or model that you can buy as im based outside the US so i am do not know of types and brands you may have access to. but if you are looking for a sprung mattress i would advise buying a pocket sprung mattress with whatever type of top layer you feel most comfortable, i would very rarely advise an open coil or continious coil for a main bed. but take your time not just researching the techincal side online but get out to your local shops and try as many as you can, you will soon begin to understand what you do and do not like. whatever anyone says you will not be able to pick the right mattress without practical knowlege of it.

im also glad you have decided against doing your own surgery on a mattress, in my opinion that is a very bad idea and the poster giving that advice is irresponsible for doing so. one of the highest paid and longest trained people making a mattress is the 'tape edger' his job is to seal the side material with the top and bottom, a special sewing machine is needed to properly secure the matt together as the stress this seem is put under when using the bed is very high, and if this goes the the whole unit will suffer, i could go on about the facts that many different glues react badly to foams and latex, and if they are not bonded they will creep, and the fact that many spring units use the material edgeing to keep some of there shape but im sure you get my point.

i have been in the trade for a long time and spent a lot of time in many factorys and i would assure you that not even professional bed makers would try this with a home tool kit.

good luck with your search and keep us posted on your outcome.

This message was modified Jun 18, 2009 by Marshall
Reply #4 Jun 18, 2009 12:54 PM
All I was trying to relay was my bed with the latex over the springs feels good and supports my back well, and my bed felt bad and gave no support with "all the foam that the S brands use." So I think you are on the right track. I don't, and didn't, advise you do mattress surgery unless you are stuck with a bed you can't sleep on.

I hope someone here chimes in with a good recommendation.

Matt
Reply #5 Jun 19, 2009 10:34 AM
It seems Costco currently sells a latex bed made by Stearns and Foster that I might try. Its called the Dover Court and consists of the following:

• Luxurious Knit Cover
  • FlameGuard™ High Loft Fiber
  • 1” Hypersoft®
  • .4" Smart Latex™
  • 2" Infinilux® with VRT™
  • .79" Smart Latex™
  • Versare Inner Panel
  • 3" IntuiSoft™ Smart Latex™
  • 8.75" Smart Latex™ Support Core
  • Cloth handles
  • Metal corner guards
  • LTD™ Low Profile Box Spring
  • Mattress thickness: 16.5”

All the latex layers should remain solid right and not subject to sagging? I know there is some foam in here too buy hopefully it would be ok.
Reply #6 Jun 19, 2009 8:01 PM
I'm surprised they didn't include unobtanium equal-weight-bearing handles.   I get annoyed when manufacturers try to confuse consumers.
Reply #7 Jun 20, 2009 10:07 AM
Marshall wrote:

im also glad you have decided against doing your own surgery on a mattress, in my opinion that is a very bad idea and the poster giving that advice is irresponsible for doing so. one of the highest paid and longest trained people making a mattress is the 'tape edger' his job is to seal the side material with the top and bottom, a special sewing machine is needed to properly secure the matt together as the stress this seem is put under when using the bed is very high, and if this goes the the whole unit will suffer, i could go on about the facts that many different glues react badly to foams and latex, and if they are not bonded they will creep, and the fact that many spring units use the material edgeing to keep some of there shape but im sure you get my point.

i have been in the trade for a long time and spent a lot of time in many factorys and i would assure you that not even professional bed makers would try this with a home tool kit.

good luck with your search and keep us posted on your outcome.

Many folks on here have performed mattress surgery on a mattress that was just not right for them. It's not an irresponsible idea, it's often the very best decision they could make, given the circumstances they end up with. To replace the cheap PU foam that is in most all of the current S brand mattresses with a layer of latex or good memory foam has literally saved the mattress for many of these folks. 

Bill

MY ADVICE THAT NEVER CHANGES

No, you dont NEED a firm mattress.  -   Yes, alot of people not only want, but need a firm mattress.

Whatever kind of mattress you choose, if its really cheap it WILL be crap. - On the whole, I would agree with this, but there are exceptions. If you shop right, cheap can be good.

Buying a mattress topper just proves you didnt buy the right mattress. -  That may be the case, but again, it often times is the very best solution to a nasty problem.

If you have bought a mattress without trying it ... good luck!  -  I would agree with this, and also would offer good luck even if you have tried it.  In fact, these are the worst cases...... go to the store, try it out, it's great in the store, and then after 3 nights it's literal hell!  I know this one firsthand.

This message was modified Jun 20, 2009 by BillB
Reply #8 Jun 20, 2009 2:28 PM
BillB wrote:
</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: &quot;Helvetica&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Many folks on here have performed mattress surgery on a mattress that was just not right for them. It's not an irresponsible idea, it's often the very best decision they could make, given the circumstances they end up with. To replace the cheap PU foam that is in most all of the current S brand mattresses with a layer of latex or good memory foam has literally saved the mattress for many of these folks. </span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: &quot;Helvetica&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"></span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: &quot;Helvetica&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Bill</span></p><div class="size12" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; BORDER-TOP: #ccc 1px solid; MARGIN-TOP: 25px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">MY ADVICE THAT NEVER CHANGES <p>No, you dont NEED a firm mattress. - <em><strong>Yes, alot of people not only want, but need a firm mattress.</strong></em></p><p>Whatever kind of mattress you choose, if its really cheap it WILL be crap. - <em><strong>On the whole, I would agree with this, but there are exceptions. If you shop right, cheap can be good.</strong></em></p><p>Buying a mattress topper just proves you didnt buy the right mattress. - <em><strong>That may be the case, but again, it often times is the very best solution to a nasty problem.</strong></em></p><p>If you have bought a mattress without trying it ... good luck! - <em><strong>I would agree with this, and also would offer good luck even if you have tried it. In fact, these are the worst cases...... go to the store, try it out, it's great in the store, and then after 3 nights it's literal hell! I know this one firsthand.</strong></em></p></div>

my this could end up going on for a while, maybe we should get our own thread rather than take up room and highjack this one. but just let me know if your intrested to find out why your wrong on a lot of these points. i most certainly do not want to get into an argument over it but i do prefer to dispell misconceptions and help people make the right choice in the future.
This message was modified Jun 20, 2009 by Marshall
Reply #9 Jun 20, 2009 4:36 PM
I know there are big concerns about the S companies but can anyone comment on the seeming quality of the layers in the latex mattress described above?
Reply #10 Jun 20, 2009 8:49 PM
In looking at this bed at the Costco site, its got a great big thick pillowtop, which will only break down in time. I know Costco has a wonderful return policy, but I would stay away from it. Do a search for pillowtops on this forum and you will almost universally find that they are not recommended, they are made of cheap PU foam that feels great for a while then breaks down and forms a rut.
If you need more comfort for a firm mattress, a latex or memory foam topper will usually work for most people.

Recent Posts