Inner Spring vs Pocket Coil
May 12, 2010 9:25 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm choosing a mattress at Gardner Mattress in Salem, MA...Just can't decide if I should go with an Inner Spring or a Pocket Coil.  Both have 2" of latex on top, 3" felt too soft for me.

The Inner Spring is a very low coil count at 260 with very thick gauge.  Will that lump up?  Other problems?

I worry the pocket coil won't last as long, but at 125 lbs and only me in the bed, maybe I', wrong...maybe it's what's ON TOP that matters (latex).

Both have either no PU or very little PU, and they have a no-charge refund policy (30 day trial if I want to switch out).

I can't afford an all-latex, so I have to choose between these two.  HELP!  Thanks

This message was modified May 19, 2010 by a moderator
Re: Inner Spring vs Pocket Coil
Reply #1 May 12, 2010 12:33 PM
Personally I think pocket coils get a bad rep some times because there are a lot of cheaper ones coming in over seas these days, and 99% of mattresses out there that use a pocketed spring also use a copious amount of standard PU foam over top of them.  As always if you eliminate the major source of the problem (cheaper foams) I think either one of these mattresses will be reliable. 

One thing with coils to keep in mind is that the hardness of a coil has absolutely no reflection on the durability of the spring.  If I had the full specs of each coil (actually all i need is spring count (and what size of mattress that count is based on) coil gauge, and the number of turns of wire in each spring) I can get you the actual spring rates to demonstrate this (within 90% accuracy). 

Reply #2 May 12, 2010 9:09 PM
budgy - Isn't 260 way too low for a spring count? I think you once posted a full size mattress should be minimum 300 with the high end being 500 or more? Do I remember that incorrectly/
Reply #3 May 12, 2010 9:52 PM
no, you are right...260 is pretty low....really the lowest ive ever seen in person for a double is 312...which is also pretty low and basic. 
Reply #4 May 13, 2010 3:10 PM
Thanks, Folks.

I hope I haven't made a mistake.  I did go and buy the inner spring (and actually, the coil count was 206!) with 2" of 19ILD talalay latex.  I don't know...I don't think Gardner would make a bad mattress, but I do worry that the very low coil count will lump up.  I can always change...it doesn't get dleivered for 3 weeks.

All their steel is made by that really good company - I for get the name, Legat something or other.  VERY thick gauge inner springs, low count might = lumps.  I'm a side sleeper who digs her elbows in while reading on stomach each night!

So tough to make the choice.  THANKS for any additional advice you have.

Reply #5 May 13, 2010 5:50 PM
Is the model you purchased on the Gardner web page or is it a custom model just for you?    The only ones with latex on top which they show are the "Ivory Plush Top" and the "Pocket coil".   I tried both of those in the store and liked the plush top best.    I don't think you can go wrong with a Gardner product.

Mark

Reply #6 May 13, 2010 7:50 PM
Hi Again mark,

yes - it's the Ivory Plush Top!  I do remember you saying that's the one you liked.  Here's a VERY cool link to the exact insides of it.  I do hope it holds up and doesn't get lumpy, even w/the low coil ount - but as you say, anything from them should be very good.

http://www.gardnermattress.com/ivoryquilted.html

Reply #7 May 13, 2010 7:50 PM
Hi Again mark,

yes - it's the Ivory Plush Top!  I do remember you saying that's the one you liked.  Here's a VERY cool link to the exact insides of it.  I do hope it holds up and doesn't get lumpy, even w/the low coil ount - but as you say, anything from them should be very good.

Reply #8 May 18, 2010 8:23 PM
lookingnow wrote:

Hi Again mark,

What size mattress are you getting? For a twin 206 coils might be okay but it does seem too few for a Full...

I really like their approach - it looks like they do things by hand, and I like the cotton and latex... I just wonder why they put a layer of polyester and a layer of PU foam in there? Without those it might be really great. I wonder if you could get them to make it with latex for that layer instead of pu foam, and leave off the polyester or replace it with ??

Budgy, why would they put those layers in there? What could they be replaced with? And where can I buy cotton to try a layer of cotton like that?

Reply #9 May 18, 2010 9:54 PM
my guess is they still use those layers to make the mattress softer.  im not really sure the best place to source from but I am sure getting cotton batting is not overly difficult to do.  although unlike foam layers, getting natural fibres into place and preventing them from shifting around does require a little bit of skill id imagine.
Reply #10 May 19, 2010 2:19 PM
budgy wrote:

Personally I think pocket coils get a bad rep some times because there are a lot of cheaper ones coming in over seas these days, and 99% of mattresses out there that use a pocketed spring also use a copious amount of standard PU foam over top of them.  As always if you eliminate the major source of the problem (cheaper foams) I think either one of these mattresses will be reliable. 

One thing with coils to keep in mind is that the hardness of a coil has absolutely no reflection on the durability of the spring.  If I had the full specs of each coil (actually all i need is spring count (and what size of mattress that count is based on) coil gauge, and the number of turns of wire in each spring) I can get you the actual spring rates to demonstrate this (within 90% accuracy). 

So Budgy, what brands are good for pocket coils nowadays?

I had a Simmons years ago and liked it a lot at first but within a year it began to hurt my back. I think when I moved it to a new apartment, the coils went askew. Is this not a common problem with pocket coils any more? That they go askew during moving, sometimes during delivery?

I would consider buying pocket coils for my next mattress if I thought they would not migrate, and would last at least a couple years...

And as to doing surgery on a pocket coil mattress - would it be essentially the same, just as do-able? Thanks for your continuing to share your expertise re springs and latex. I'm sure that everyone here appreciates it as I do!

Recent Posts