ikea latex (sultan engenes) softer than expected
Nov 22, 2011 2:14 PM
I'm concerned that my ikea mattress is both too soft and also softer than it was in the store. Please let me know if anybody has a similar experience, or any advice.

After sleeping on a cheap ikea foam mattress for years (sultan flataker I think), I upgraded to the sultan engenes. It's a 7-inch mostly-synthetic mattress rated "firm" which is ikea's medium level of firmness. In the store it was much more comfortable than the "most firm" sultan elsfjord which is only 5.5 inches. It was, however, softer than a pricier 8-inch mostly-natural latex model called the sultan edsele (also rated "firm," the medium level). The models in the store were placed on thin, springy birch slats.

To ensure a firmer feel (and save money), I got the wider, harder pine slates which are much cheaper. When I got the mattress home it felt much softer than in the store. After sleeping on it for a few nights, it still feels a bit too soft. It almost seems to sag a bit in the middle of the two halves of my queen frame, though they are half-covered in pine slats. My original mattress - the flataker - was also rated "firm" but felt anything but. It was hard as a rock. I never had any back problems from it, but I tossed and turned quite a bit. I stopped tossing and turning on the new engenes, but my back is a little sore (though it may be too early to tell).

I have a few questions. (1) How many inches should an average person "sink" into a medium/firm mattress? I sink about an inch and a half, and I weigh 165 pounds. Is this normal for a 7-inch latex mattress? I expected the engenes to be at least as firm as it was in the store, when I put it on harder slats. (2) Should I be able to feel the slats under my mattress? The engenes seems thin and soft enough for me to detect where the slats are, when I sit on the side of the bed. This is unexpected - I thought a latex mattress would be firm enough to prevent this. (3) Given that I can exchange this, should I upgrade to the 85% natural latex version, which felt firmer, and might be closer to my previous mattress?

Thank you for your advice. It seems that upgrading to a much more expensive, better-made mattress doesn't necessarily lead to a better night's rest.

Re: ikea latex (sultan engenes) softer than expected
Reply #1 Nov 25, 2011 12:50 AM
I do sell mattresses for several different retailers accross the country over the last 5 years. Having said that, I would direct your experience to IKEA as a whole. I currently own several pieces of IKEA furniture (dresser and dinner table). My experience has led me to understand that the pieces IKEA sells in most cases are designed with a coupe of things in mind:

• Wood is typically not solid hardwood, but some type or versino of laminate, pressboard or composite material
  • Pillows are stuffed with poly material that is designed for looks not daily function
  • Kitchen ware (larger that utensils) are usually not designed for long term use or even (sometimes) designed to be machine washable (???)
  • The same goes foe mattresses and sofas

The furniture at IKEA is designed to be very attractive, once assembled it should not be moved and (if you move) it is most likely disposable which is why it is priced at a disposable price.

I am in no way stating that IKEA has crap.... it is just designed for a very specific function. If you spend more than 7 hours during every 24 hours you should expect the mattress system to last you approx. 3 years (regardelss of the warranty) and if it is supposed to last longer: USE THE WARRANTY CLAIM. While I do not ever advocate that more expensive is necessarily better. I will say that the most common "middle of the road" brand I know (based on consumption and pricing) is Englander and on their website they state that to get a "good" bed you will need to spend between $1200 and $1600 and yet they typically sell Queen pillow tops for around $600

I suggest that when you testyour bed, take your pillow, lay in your sleeping position for at least 12-15 minutes (if it even feels comfortable at first) and if your back muscles feel like they are melting or releasing then buy that bed... make sure it has a warranty and make sure your back is able to weigh in on the purchase... the dollar amount is deceiving. I do not put a lot of trust in the IKEA mattress for most people of a voting age for very long...

Sleep Well "marshmallow"!

Reply #2 Nov 25, 2011 12:10 PM
Thanks, guymakessense, for your input. I agree with your assessment of ikea. I prefer to buy furniture elsewhere, but ikea often hits the sweet spot between good design and affordability.

While my new mattress feels comfortable enough, it still leaves me with a sore lower back. After sleeping on a very firm, thin, extremely cheap foam mattress for years, I'm a bit dissapointed that a slightly more plush, better-made mattress hasn't translated into better sleep. Perhaps I should just buy a new foam mattress to fit my (now larger) bedframe. I have no doubt that the latex mattress I got from ikea would suit a large number of people very nicely ... I think I just require a much firmer mattress. I suppose I should count the much-cheaper prices for foam mattresses as a blessing, then, and stick with the cheap foam I had before.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply #3 Dec 5, 2011 5:16 AM
I prefer the solid pine slats too, but like all effectively zero deflection foundations they do break down your foam faster than flexible slats or springs will.  If your setup still isn't working out for you & you're still within Ikea's exchange period, I'd recommend trying the firmer synthetic version instead, & either going back to the flexible slats, or seeing if you can't find a true box springs, or better yet extract an innerspring from an old mattress to put between your solid foundation & latex block. 
Reply #4 Dec 19, 2011 1:15 PM
Thanks for your advice. Just for closure, I thought I'd post the rest of the story.

It sounds really counterintuitive, but the more flexible (sultan laxeby) slats actually make the mattress "feel" firmer. When you apply pressure, the slats give a little, but the mattress deforms less. Upgrading to these slats turned an otherwise lifeless mattress into a springy, comfortable bed. I would recommend that anybody getting a decent mattress (especially latex) spend the extra money and get the birch slats. The pine ones are only really good for very firm mattresses, which won't flex much anyway.

While the new slats made a huge difference, the engenes was still a little on the soft side. It wasn't any different than in the showroom, but I underestimated how important firmness was. I took it back and ordered the sultan edsele. Even though they are both "medium" or "firm" (instead of plush or most firm), the edsele is noticeably firmer. It also feels a bit more springy and resilient. It might feel firmer, but it still cradles you. The downside is that it doesn't have a removeable, washable cover (only cleaned with upholstery shampoo) and it's not reversible. Either way, it's a much more comfortable mattress for me. I would still recommend any of the Ikea latex offerings over a cheaper foam mattress. They're comfortable, more breatheable, they don't heat up, and they're way more affordable than those in other stores.

In any case, thank you, Jason, for recommending the slat upgrade. It was well worth it.

Reply #5 Dec 22, 2011 3:44 AM
 Good move.  The edsele/erfjord is the only one of the three that's not roll packed too.  The flexible slats will help it last longer.

Please keep us updated with how it holds up.

Reply #6 Dec 22, 2011 2:18 PM
marshmallow wrote:

Thanks for your advice. Just for closure, I thought I'd post the rest of the story.

It sounds really counterintuitive, but the more flexible (sultan laxeby) slats actually make the mattress "feel" firmer. When you apply pressure, the slats give a little, but the mattress deforms less. Upgrading to these slats turned an otherwise lifeless mattress into a springy, comfortable bed. I would recommend that anybody getting a decent mattress (especially latex) spend the extra money and get the birch slats. The pine ones are only really good for very firm mattresses, which won't flex much anyway.

While the new slats made a huge difference, the engenes was still a little on the soft side. It wasn't any different than in the showroom, but I underestimated how important firmness was. I took it back and ordered the sultan edsele. Even though they are both "medium" or "firm" (instead of plush or most firm), the edsele is noticeably firmer. It also feels a bit more springy and resilient. It might feel firmer, but it still cradles you. The downside is that it doesn't have a removeable, washable cover (only cleaned with upholstery shampoo) and it's not reversible. Either way, it's a much more comfortable mattress for me. I would still recommend any of the Ikea latex offerings over a cheaper foam mattress. They're comfortable, more breatheable, they don't heat up, and they're way more affordable than those in other stores.

In any case, thank you, Jason, for recommending the slat upgrade. It was well worth it.

Rather than washing the cover while it is still on the bed, try and find a waterproof cover, Protect-A-Bed, Malouf and GBS all make a really good product that shouldn;t change the feel of your mattress (especially since it is not a really soft one) and will eliminate the need to possibly damage the inside of your bed with liquids and detergents... online will provide a MUCH better price for your cover than in the retail shop....

Reply #7 Jan 23, 2012 12:23 AM
And then you suggest washing the cover down occasionally? Windex it or something? Not sure I understand that comment about the waterproof cover. I definitely would be buying a cover myself (for bedbugs), but once that cover is on it should never ever come off the bed. 

Recent Posts