How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Mar 1, 2008 4:09 PM
I ordered this Sealy as I plan to now put my own 3" latex or memory foam topper on top of the strong coil system
This one, according to the salesman, Sealy Posturepedic Wyrick is basically just the coil with some padding.

What I liked is this salesman understood what I was trying to do and didn't try to upsell me on more plush models since I planned to use my own comfort layers. Also they will give me one free total bed exchange if I don't like it...

http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=13753&SID=6

Was thinking of keeping the soft 2.9" layer from my SleepEz bed to use as the topper.

Thoughts?
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by novahelp
Re: How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Reply #24 Mar 10, 2008 1:53 AM
One of the problems is, in my experience, that the mattress they deliver to your house feels nothing like the one you tried in the store. Whether the floor model has been broken in by hundreds of people laying on it over months (or years), or whether they have a special floor model as a "bait and switch" -- I'm getting into conspiracy theories here ;-) -- who knows.

The second mattress we got in our comfort exchange (we ended up with a third after returning this one) was a plush firm Simmons World Class that felt like the perfect thing in the store, but felt like we were sleeping on the sidewalk on the one they delivered to the house. Even with a couple of toppers (and a ladder to get into bed) it was still as hard as a rock. I spent several nights on the couch until they came and took it away.

The sales person, said it just needed "breaking in", but it was going to break my back long before that ever happened. I really just wanted to cry at that point. We had spent SO much time trying out mattresses to make sure we wouldn't make a mistake, and it seemed that it was all for nothing if the bed we got wasn't going to feel anything like the one we picked out in the store.

I guess this isn't a whole lot of help to you at this point -- just commiseration... I hope you figure something out soon and can finally get a good night's sleep.
Reply #25 Mar 10, 2008 2:15 AM
Kimmcgov, I am so sorry you had so much problems also with mattresses. They used to make mattresses so comfortable years ago.  I am still sick and should not be up but I have been trying to work since I was not productive today until late afternoon.
Reply #26 Mar 10, 2008 5:02 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
One of the problems is, in my experience, that the mattress they deliver to your house feels nothing like the one you tried in the store. Whether the floor model has been broken in by hundreds of people laying on it over months (or years), or whether they have a special floor model as a "bait and switch" -- I'm getting into conspiracy theories here ;-) -- who knows.

I've suspected the same thing myself and I think there might be something to it. When I was mattress shopping I inspected the tags of the one I was considering and it said "Floor Model" right there. Why would it say that if it was no different from any other mattress? When I got mine delivered and lay down on it it felt softer in the center than the one I had tried out in the store for a good two hours! I don't think it was my imagination. I have to wonder if the floor models are made with HR foam rather than the cheap PU foam they put in the regular mattresses, just to make them feel more substantial and hold up better while customers test them out.
Reply #27 Mar 10, 2008 8:40 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I've suspected the same thing myself and I think there might be something to it. When I was mattress shopping I inspected the tags of the one I was considering and it said "Floor Model" right there. Why would it say that if it was no different from any other mattress? When I got mine delivered and lay down on it it felt softer in the center than the one I had tried out in the store for a good two hours! I don't think it was my imagination. I have to wonder if the floor models are made with HR foam rather than the cheap PU foam they put in the regular mattresses, just to make them feel more substantial and hold up better while customers test them out.

Some floor models are there for YEARS. When I was considering the W Hotel bed (Simmons beautyrest classic)  the sales guy said the bed had been there for two years and that is why it might be hammocking for me!   I was like, uh after two years it's already too soft that doesn't speak well for quality and decided to pass on it (even though it was a GREAT deal).

Recent Posts