How to soften a latex mattress to improve shoulder pressure relief
Nov 4, 2013 4:15 PM
I have a latex mattress with a 6" Blended talalay core 32 ILD. On top of the latex core, I have tried a) 2" and b) 2" + 2" of all-natural latex ILD toppers (for clarity, two different configurations: 6" 32 ILD+ 2" 21 ILD.... or 6" 32 ILD + 2" 21 ILD + 2" 21 ILD). The cover is a stretch knit. No mattress protector yet.

From a hip / spinal support point of view, I find the 6" + 2" configuration too hard. With the 6" + 2" + 2" configuration, I find that hip / spinal support starts to suffer. Based on how these two configurations have felt, I suppose a 6" 32ILD + 3" 21 ILD configuration would probably be optimal in terms of hip / spinal support for me. 

But I have problems with how the mattress feels for my shoulders / arms. In both configurations, the mattress feels hard on my shoulders / arms. As a result, I toss and turn. I miss the pillowtop feeling of my former innerspring matters (although the support was poor for me).

Does anybody have recommendations for creating more of a "pillowtop" feeling for the latex mattress and improve pressure relief for shoulders / arms?

I have read that some of you have tried zoning and have experimented with memory foam and latex 14 ILD, over the other latex layers. Have you found those strategies to be effective?

Just FYI, I am an average body side sleeper. So shoulder / arm comfort is important in the mattress. Thanks very much.

Re: How to soften a latex mattress to improve shoulder pressure relief
Reply #25 Jun 20, 2014 11:20 AM
Toto wrote:

Thanks for all your comments.

My stats: male 5ft 10". 175lbs. Side sleeper. This is an update to share my current configuration and results (from top to bottom):

2" talalay 21 ILD

2" talalay zoned: 21 ILD in the shoulder area... 28 ILD below that (torso, hip, leg, feet area). I made this zoned layer by cutting latex that I had purchased

6" talalay core 32 ILD

I am sleeping better than I have had in many years. This mattress is an improvement over anything I have had before. However, I still experience some (but not much) shoulder pain (the upper, outside, part of the arm), which I attibute to pressure points. The hip support is on the edge of being sufficient. There is no lumbar pain in the morning, but in a perfect world, I would prefer a bit more support at the hips.

In earlier comments, Sandman described his configuration, which has 5" of soft material at the shoulder level (1" mem foam + 1" 24 ILD + 1" 19ILD + roughly 2" 17/19 ILD in the zoned layer) and higher average ILD (than mine) at the hip level (you can see Sandman's configuration and his comments earlier in this thread). Whenever I am ready to experiment again, I will attempt to get a bit closer to his configuration to get more pressure point relief in the shoulder zone, and a bit more support in the hip zone. Another potential path is to make the zoned layer 3" and increase the ILD of the core. Not sure yet. Fortunately, my current configuration is good enough that I can take my time to think the next move.

I am really impressed at the way people help each other in these forums. Some members have a lot knowledge and experience, and devote a lot of time to helping others. Sandman gave me very valuable advice. As did the host of the other forum. I want to thank them. They have made a difference in the quality of my sleep. 

Congratulations Toto!  Mattdud.

Recent Posts