How to select a Tempurpedic?
May 26, 2010 4:27 PM
I am very very confused. How should I go about selecting the most suitable tempurpedic bed for myself.

My relevant Statistics:

weight = 210 pounds

height = 6 feet 2 inches

mode of sleeping = side sleeper

Re: How to select a Tempurpedic?
Reply #6 May 27, 2010 7:41 PM
My experience with the Classic is limited to trying to convince people to buying a DeluxeBed over it because I don't carry the Classic LOL.  So I am definitely biased.  The DeluxeBed has a little bit more of the Tempur Material so we expect it will be more durable and supportive...it might be a little firmer as well in comparison. 

Although the Classic is a great mattress as well...I think if you don't find the DeluxeBed to be more comfortable than the Classic could be a better personal option for you.

Reply #7 May 31, 2010 5:03 PM
I read that Rhapsody is the most popular model.

Anyone who bought this could you please tell about your experience. Thanks.

Reply #8 May 31, 2010 5:32 PM
it *was* there most popular.  it still is in my store I think (either that or the Allura).  The Cloud Supreme is now their most popular mattress so far as I have been told.

My parents took a Rhapsody home in a queen size...slept on it for two weeks and then thought the only thing they could do to make it better was get a king, so now they have two rhapsody's. 

Reply #9 Jun 5, 2010 5:42 PM
budgy wrote:

At over 200 lbs do not waste any of your time trying out a Cloud Series Mattress.  Start with something like a DeluxeBed....then maybe try a few of the higher priced HD models to see if they are more comfortable for you. 

It is very critical to take your time laying down on these mattresses as Garypen has already suggested.  Lay on them in your own natural sleep position's.  Sometimes the subtle differences between one model and another may not be immediately apparent to you.  So it is okay to go back and forth a few times between the models you liked.  If you do happen to enjoy any of the Tempur Pillows use the same one you like on each mattress you lie down on....if you don't like any of the pillows ask for one thats different and use it on each mattress as well. 

I think its reasonable that after being helped initially and introduced to the mattresses, politely ask the salesperson to give you some time alone so you can just try to relax and focus on your comfort. 

I am curious, what is the concern with the Cloud Supreme?  I am actually about the same weight and height as the poster and am torn between Rhapsody and Supreme. Salesman sales Cloud is better and out sales other TP's by 7 out of every 10 he sales.  He is offering a 100 day exchange or refund which is pretty good I think.

Reply #10 Jun 5, 2010 11:24 PM
When I tried the Cloud Supreme, it did not give me enough support under the ribcage for sidesleeping - I felt somewhat hammocked on it.  And I weigh only 105 lb.
Reply #11 Jun 6, 2010 12:36 AM
Steff3 wrote:

I am curious, what is the concern with the Cloud Supreme?  I am actually about the same weight and height as the poster and am torn between Rhapsody and Supreme. Salesman sales Cloud is better and out sales other TP's by 7 out of every 10 he sales.  He is offering a 100 day exchange or refund which is pretty good I think.

My wife and I checked out most of the TP line at Mattress World about six weeks ago and she LOVED the Cloud Supreme. I thought it was very comfortable, too... noticably softer than most if not all of their other offerings. So I read up on it (even looked into building my own "DIY Cloud Supreme" to save some $$$). What I discovered is that there are two layers of memory foam in the CS, with the top one being a density of approx. 4 lbs/cu ft. The layer below that is their normal MF, which is 5.3 lbs/cu ft density.

From everything I've read about MF, generally speaking the lower the density the shorter the life of the memory foam. So I got a little concerned about whether the CS would hold up as well as their other models over the long term. Plus, I've also read that memory foam does soften up over time. For instance, for one of the regulars on this board (jimsocal), MF works for just two or three days before it softens too much. This is extreme, but for others it seems to usually soften up noticably over the first several months or so.

So I became a bit concerned that if the Cloud Supreme felt so gloriously confortable in the store, it might actually end up too soft for us. I've also read many stories on this forum about people who bought plush or pillowtop S-company beds that were so soft and comfy in the store (that seems to be what sells these days) but after a year or two they become too soft and unsupportive, resulting in back pain. Finally, the more I read about memory foam vs. latex, the more I was drawn to latex. For me, I ended up going with latex.

BUT... while I've brought up several potential caveats, this is not to discourage you from the Cloud Supreme because I really have no experience with it in actual long-term use — nor does anyone, really, since it just came out in November 2009 (scroll to paragraph 10). For all I know, their 4-lb MF may last longer than most competitors' 5-lb. MF. And you may have no problem sleeping on a CS both before it softens and after it softens. Also, generally speaking side sleepers do better with a softer bed as compared with back sleepers and especially stomach sleepers. So the CS may be perfect for you. Only you can decide.

One last thing. If you buy a TP from a retail store, read the fine print! Don't just take the salesman at his or her word. It's not even that (s)he would intentionally be dishonest. It's just that some stores that sell TPs will throw in "freebies" like pillows, a mattress pad, a bed frame, etc. to sweeten the deal that the fine print may indicate are NOT returnable. When you return the bed expecting a full refund, they deduct the retail price of those items from your refund, costing you many hundreds of dollars you weren't expecting to be out. Again, read the fine print!

You could always buy only the mattress from them. Or buy directly from TP online, in which case you would have to pay the return shipping, which starts at $175 but surely must get a lot higher for the queens and kings and for the taller, more expensive beds. Interestingly, regarding returns TP's web site states "Shipping charges are quoted at time of return." If I were paying $2,699 for a King-sized Clod Supreme, I sure as heck would want to know before I ordered what the return shipping charges would be, should the 90 Night In-Home Tryout reveal the bed and I to be incompatible!)

Oh, by the way... the salesman at Mattress World told us something very similar to yours. He said the Cloud Supreme was outselling all other TP models combined at his store. I guess TP has a hit.

This message was modified Jun 6, 2010 by pianoman
Reply #12 Jun 6, 2010 2:05 AM
any salesperson who tries to convince you one bed is better than another simply by using a popularity contest as the standard is clearly ignoring your own personal needs. 

the Cloud Supreme is softer than any other Tempur....this could be good or bad depending on your needs.....generally for light people it might be a good option, but it is certainly no guarantee. 

Reply #13 Jun 6, 2010 2:31 AM
Ouch
Steff3 wrote:

During my online research, I noticed that the Cloud/Cloud Supreme have the most negative reviews of any TP models.

I also find it odd that the two models you are torn between are the very firm Rhapsody and the very soft Cloud Supreme, so very different from each other. Did you try the Deluxe or Bellafina at all? They both felt somewhere in between the Rhapsody and Cloud, to me.

Reply #14 Jun 6, 2010 7:50 PM
garypen wrote:

During my online research, I noticed that the Cloud/Cloud Supreme have the most negative reviews of any TP models.

I also find it odd that the two models you are torn between are the very firm Rhapsody and the very soft Cloud Supreme, so very different from each other. Did you try the Deluxe or Bellafina at all? They both felt somewhere in between the Rhapsody and Cloud, to me.

First off, thanks to all for their input to my query, I appreciate it a lot. I did try the Deluxe  but not the Belifina, they did not have it in any of the three stores I tried.  I thought the Deluxe was okay but wanted a bit more. As far as the difference between the CS and the Rhasp I found that when I laid on the CS it felt softer immediately and after 20 minutes I didn't notice any difference except that it sort of bottomed out right away, not that it was bad but it didn't seem to have any further to soften, but when I tried the Rhasp I found exactly what you are saying, that the initial feel was notably firmer but after a several minutes it continued to conform to my body and eventually softened to about the same degree as the CS.  My feeling is that the CS may not hold up as long as the Rhaps.  I think the Rhaps will better in the long run and I did get a 90 day trial with exchange or refund (in writing) so if I am wrong I can always goes another route.  I do realize if I exchange or return for a refund that I am responsible for the pillows, frame , pad, and sheet set but that is okay since I will use them anyway.  Now to try it for a month or so and see if I was hopefully correct.

Reply #15 Jun 6, 2010 8:01 PM
Steff3 wrote:

First off, thanks to all for their input to my query, I appreciate it a lot. I did try the Deluxe  but not the Belifina, they did not have it in any of the three stores I tried.  I thought the Deluxe was okay but wanted a bit more. As far as the difference between the CS and the Rhasp I found that when I laid on the CS it felt softer immediately and after 20 minutes I didn't notice any difference except that it sort of bottomed out right away, not that it was bad but it didn't seem to have any further to soften, but when I tried the Rhasp I found exactly what you are saying, that the initial feel was notably firmer but after a several minutes it continued to conform to my body and eventually softened to about the same degree as the CS.  My feeling is that the CS may not hold up as long as the Rhaps.  I think the Rhaps will better in the long run and I did get a 90 day trial with exchange or refund (in writing) so if I am wrong I can always goes another route.  I do realize if I exchange or return for a refund that I am responsible for the pillows, frame , pad, and sheet set but that is okay since I will use them anyway.  Now to try it for a month or so and see if I was hopefully correct.

What mattress set did you buy and from which place? Thanks.

Recent Posts