How to make a firm latex mattress soft?
Mar 30, 2009 8:49 PM
It's a long story... bottom line ended up with 2-piece latex mattress. Bottom piece is from a Land and Sky Heaven and Earth and is 9"  in 2 parts firm/medium-firm. Top is 3" sleepwarehouse 16-18 ILD Dunlop by Latex Green. Top is rated as "Med-Soft", and it's too firm for me. Support is ok, just doesn't feel cozy.

Latex has that Analytical feel to it - for lack of a better term, not too cozy really.

I'm thinking about a 2 or 3" Wool topper at this point. Tried a featherbed and didn't care for that really. I'd also be willing to replace the top latex with softer, just hard buying online.

Strange - going by most of the ILD ratings 16-18 ILD should be pretty soft.

I prefer to sink in a bit i guess. I'm 185lbs average build.

Thanks for any ideas.
Re: How to make a firm latex mattress soft?
Reply #7 Apr 28, 2009 8:04 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
16 ILD is mush. I would recommend around a 22 for optimum comfort and durability.
Reply #8 Apr 29, 2009 6:11 AM
You really can't tell the difference between 20 and 22 ILD. Generally you need to go 4 points in either direction before you can. Actually my personal favorite is 24 ILD. Not too soft, not too firm for a comfort layer. Unfortunately most merchants only carry a limited range of firmnesses to choose from so you usually have to compromise. I don't even know where you're getting that 14 ILD foam from. Most merchants don't sell it any more because it compresses in a very short time. 
Reply #9 May 5, 2009 11:33 AM
FBM sent me a 1" sample of thier soft latex (20 ILD?) and it seems about the same as the 16-18 ILD i got from sleepwarehouse. hard to tell with a 1" piece. the ILD ratings really vary from place to place.

waiting on a partial refund from Fibex and trying to decide what to do.

Recommendations on a new bed please?
Reply #10 May 10, 2009 1:03 AM
chriscummings83 wrote:
A wool topper always made my bed feel hard to the touch.  So are you looking for hard to touch, or are you looking for soft to the touch.

I use a nit 1" wool topper and then I have a 2" 22 ILD topper,  perfect.

"nit 1" wool"? yeah my 2" wool topper is sort of hard, i'm still using it for some reason. I do want to try a much thinner wool topper, can you recommend one?

I'm also thinking about adding a 2" soft talalay on top of my medium-soft dunlop. need softer!

Recent Posts