How long does it take to "break in" a new mattress?
Aug 14, 2008 1:03 PM
Hello all!  I just bought a Sealy Ocean Cruise Backsaver after spending a year and a half on a horrible ultra-firm mattress that was killing me. 

The first night I got the Sealy (Sunday) I slept like a baby and woke up without my bones creaking.   (I should note that I am not old but the horrible rock-hard mattress I had previous led to me waking up with my joints cracking every morning.)   The second night, woke up a little sore in the lower back).   Same thing last night (little sore in the lower back). So it's only been 4 nights and I am already feeling better than before when I had the horrible (did I mention it stunk) rock-hard mattress. 

The issue I'm worried about is will the soreness continue?  The soreness is very light and nothing compared to what I experienced with the old mattress but I wasn't sure.   I have a 45 day return policy , so I did shop smart.  I also talked to a 'mattress expert' unconnected with the sale who told me that it usually takes 7-30 days for a body to adjust to a new mattress and that a litle soreness was okay in the beginning.  Especially from going from ultra-firm (which hurt) to a softer mattress (which supports me I do have to say)

So....what is the "breaking in" period for a new mattress anybody know?  Just making sure!

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long-winded post!

Recent Posts