How long does it take to "break in" a new mattress?
Aug 14, 2008 1:03 PM
Hello all!  I just bought a Sealy Ocean Cruise Backsaver after spending a year and a half on a horrible ultra-firm mattress that was killing me. 

The first night I got the Sealy (Sunday) I slept like a baby and woke up without my bones creaking.   (I should note that I am not old but the horrible rock-hard mattress I had previous led to me waking up with my joints cracking every morning.)   The second night, woke up a little sore in the lower back).   Same thing last night (little sore in the lower back). So it's only been 4 nights and I am already feeling better than before when I had the horrible (did I mention it stunk) rock-hard mattress. 

The issue I'm worried about is will the soreness continue?  The soreness is very light and nothing compared to what I experienced with the old mattress but I wasn't sure.   I have a 45 day return policy , so I did shop smart.  I also talked to a 'mattress expert' unconnected with the sale who told me that it usually takes 7-30 days for a body to adjust to a new mattress and that a litle soreness was okay in the beginning.  Especially from going from ultra-firm (which hurt) to a softer mattress (which supports me I do have to say)

So....what is the "breaking in" period for a new mattress anybody know?  Just making sure!

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long-winded post!

Re: How long does it take to "break in" a new mattress?
Reply #1 Aug 15, 2008 5:43 AM
The right mattress should feel comfortable on the first night. There really isn't a breaking in period. Obviously the comfort level is going to feel different that what you're used to--and it seems like there really wasn't any comfort to speak of with your old mattress--but it shouldn't give you a back ache. Give it a week. If it persists or gets worse each night the mattress is not providing you with the correct support for your lumbar spine and you may need to go firmer. Often mattresses feel wonderful in the store when you are lying on them for just a few minutes. At home and after a full night they feel completely different.

If your new mattress is a pillowtop, think about exchanging it. Pillowtops are notorious for hammocking almost immediately and if you think you have a back ache now just wait! Your old mattress was way too firm for you and now you may have gone to the opposite extreme by getting one that's too soft. 

Reply #2 Aug 15, 2008 9:26 AM
Thank you very much for your help!
Reply #3 Aug 17, 2008 6:02 AM
No problem. Let us know how it works out.

Recent Posts