Topic Thread

Return to Topic List
devil_youknow

How long does it take to "break in" a new mattress?
Original Message   Aug 14, 2008 1:03 pm
Quote Quote
Hello all!  I just bought a Sealy Ocean Cruise Backsaver after spending a year and a half on a horrible ultra-firm mattress that was killing me. 

The first night I got the Sealy (Sunday) I slept like a baby and woke up without my bones creaking.   (I should note that I am not old but the horrible rock-hard mattress I had previous led to me waking up with my joints cracking every morning.)   The second night, woke up a little sore in the lower back).   Same thing last night (little sore in the lower back). So it's only been 4 nights and I am already feeling better than before when I had the horrible (did I mention it stunk) rock-hard mattress. 

The issue I'm worried about is will the soreness continue?  The soreness is very light and nothing compared to what I experienced with the old mattress but I wasn't sure.   I have a 45 day return policy , so I did shop smart.  I also talked to a 'mattress expert' unconnected with the sale who told me that it usually takes 7-30 days for a body to adjust to a new mattress and that a litle soreness was okay in the beginning.  Especially from going from ultra-firm (which hurt) to a softer mattress (which supports me I do have to say)

So....what is the "breaking in" period for a new mattress anybody know?  Just making sure!

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long-winded post!

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
cloud9

Re: How long does it take to "break in" a new mattress?
Reply #1   Aug 15, 2008 5:43 am
Quote Quote
The right mattress should feel comfortable on the first night. There really isn't a breaking in period. Obviously the comfort level is going to feel different that what you're used to--and it seems like there really wasn't any comfort to speak of with your old mattress--but it shouldn't give you a back ache. Give it a week. If it persists or gets worse each night the mattress is not providing you with the correct support for your lumbar spine and you may need to go firmer. Often mattresses feel wonderful in the store when you are lying on them for just a few minutes. At home and after a full night they feel completely different.

If your new mattress is a pillowtop, think about exchanging it. Pillowtops are notorious for hammocking almost immediately and if you think you have a back ache now just wait! Your old mattress was way too firm for you and now you may have gone to the opposite extreme by getting one that's too soft. 

devil_youknow

Reply #2   Aug 15, 2008 9:26 am
Quote Quote
Thank you very much for your help!
cloud9

Reply #3   Aug 17, 2008 6:02 am
Quote Quote
No problem. Let us know how it works out.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
More Information
Help Help
Member List Member List
Moderator List Moderator List
Recent Posts
  • New mattress to replace Nature's Rest with Jordan's Half Moon Latex - ztravers95
    Yesterday 3:46 pm
  • Re: The Problem with Tempurpedic mattresses - tfoxla
    Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am
  • Re: Getting rid of a Hastens bed - jennywil2
    Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm
  • Re: Please help, I need some advice. - mattdud
    Jul 27, 2014 7:36 am
  • Re: Not completely happy with Tempurpedic Contour Allura after almost two months. Seems way too firm. - mattdud
    Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm
  • Re: Free Queen Latex Topper in NYC - mattdud
    Jul 25, 2014 3:49 pm
  • Re: Please help, I need some advice. - trish
    Jul 24, 2014 9:23 pm
  • Re: Any Advice on Second Choice - mattdud
    Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm
    Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forum    Reviews    About    Contact   
    Copyright ©1998-2014, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42