How do you know when its too soft or too firm
Feb 15, 2010 10:49 AM

I just purchased a Sleepez 13000 and followed Shawn’s recommendations on how I should configure my 4 layers. It’s only been 3 nights on the current configuration and will give it at least 4 more before I reconfigure. I just don’t know how to determine if the bed is too soft or too firm and any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This message was modified Feb 15, 2010 by Prowler
Re: How do you know when its too soft or too firm
Reply #1 Feb 15, 2010 11:52 AM
How well do you sleep?   Do you wake up with a sore back, sore hips, sore shoulders?   If it's too soft, your back may tell you in the morning.   If it's too firm, you may feel "pressure points" around the shoulder or hip areas.   Here is my personal rule of thumb---Do I look forward to climbing into bed at night and do I NOT want to get up in the morning?    If "yes" to both questions, the bed is doing it's job!    Assuming no pain also.    Give it a week or two for your body to adjust also.
This message was modified Feb 15, 2010 by markbnh1
Reply #2 Feb 15, 2010 12:05 PM
markbnh1 wrote:
How well do you sleep?   Do you wake up with a sore back, sore hips, sore shoulders?   If it's too soft, your back may tell you in the morning.   If it's too firm, you may feel "pressure points" around the shoulder or hip areas.   Here is my personal rule of thumb---Do I look forward to climbing into bed at night and do I NOT want to get up in the morning?    If "yes" to both questions, the bed is doing it's job!    Assuming no pain also.    Give it a week or two for your body to adjust also.

I am a side sleeper and  I do wake with a sore back, hip, and shoulder. Since it has only been 3 nights I will refrain from making changes but just trying to figure which way to adjust if/when the time comes. What is the diference between sore and pressure points?
Reply #3 Feb 15, 2010 12:24 PM
A side sleeper generally needs softer at the shoulders, and the top layer needs to be soft enough at the hips so no pain and pressure there.  Difference between the two points is that the hips need support(are heavier) and the shoulder needs more sinking in(softer layer there?).
Just my $0.02!
Kait
Reply #4 Feb 15, 2010 2:01 PM
If you aren't sure, then it is probably close to being right.  Too firm would feel like you are sleeping on a board.  It will usually feel hard on the hips and shoulders (for side sleeper) after lying on the mattress for a while.  If it is too soft you usually would have a feeling of sinking in too far, especially in hip area.  A feeling of not enough support. 

Pressure points is what you feel when you are lying on the bed, for example it feels hard on the hips.   Sore is what you feel after you get out of bed.  Sore back, sore neck,  etc.  That soreness might linger for a while, or in bad cases all the time.

If it is comfortable and you don't have any pain when you get out of bed, then stick with it.  Don't expect perfection though, since usually one variable will not be perfect.  Changing one thing will affect something else.

What layers do you have?  How does it feel?

This message was modified Feb 15, 2010 by sandman
Reply #5 Feb 15, 2010 2:41 PM
You should not feel sore in the morning unless you felt sore when you went to bed. (If you're older, maybe a little stiff in the a.m. but not sore.)

A sore lower back often means a too-soft mattress.

If you're sore in your shoulder area it could be a too hard mattress - or too hard in that area, if you're using zones, as in Flobeds.
Reply #6 Feb 15, 2010 2:51 PM
This is what I have been TRYING to ask in my previous postings.  It is difficult to tell from pressure point pain from to firm of latex, to too soft latex layers in the hip area.

I just hate to change it out because my shoulders are happy.  So I may have to zone the hip area.

Tell us what ILD's and thickness of the latex layers.  ALso tell us your weight and male or female. Makes a difference in decisions of layering.  Women are more shapely in the hips and shoulders.

I have decided to remove one layer, cringe, until I decide where and what ILD to get for my hip.  I still am not sure.

HELP.
Reply #7 Feb 15, 2010 3:15 PM
Leo3 wrote:
This is what I have been TRYING to ask in my previous postings.  It is difficult to tell from pressure point pain from to firm of latex, to too soft latex layers in the hip area.

I just hate to change it out because my shoulders are happy.  So I may have to zone the hip area.

Tell us what ILD's and thickness of the latex layers.  ALso tell us your weight and male or female. Makes a difference in decisions of layering.  Women are more shapely in the hips and shoulders.

I have decided to remove one layer, cringe, until I decide where and what ILD to get for my hip.  I still am not sure.

HELP.

I have 4 layers, soft,med,firm, extra firm. Im about 5'10 and about 215. I have started off on top with med, followed by firm, extrafirm, and then soft. Wake up with soreness in the low back and shoulders that I didnt have in before going to bed. I got the bed from Sleepez and its only been 3 nights so Im gunna suffer through this for the next 7 or so to see if things change. Then I am guessing if it continues to try firm on top then med, extra firm, soft. Guess only time will tell.

I would also like to say thank you to all that have already responded and are trying to help me,

Reply #8 Feb 15, 2010 4:49 PM
It is kind of unusual to have soft on the bottom, if I am reading you correctly.  Most are configured with a fairly firm base, and then softer on the top.

Sore back would tend to indicate too soft.  I am less sure about the shoulder soreness.   You did not say how it feels.  Feels too soft, too firm, comfortable, not comfortable? 

I would consider taking the soft layer of the bottom, and maybe try just 3 layers.  XF on bottom, F above and then soft or medium on top. 

What kind of latex is it, dunlop or talalay?

Reply #9 Feb 15, 2010 4:55 PM
Prowler wrote:
I have 4 layers, soft,med,firm, extra firm. Im about 5'10 and about 215. I have started off on top with med, followed by firm, extrafirm, and then soft. Wake up with soreness in the low back and shoulders that I didnt have in before going to bed. I got the bed from Sleepez and its only been 3 nights so Im gunna suffer through this for the next 7 or so to see if things change. Then I am guessing if it continues to try firm on top then med, extra firm, soft. Guess only time will tell.

I would also like to say thank you to all that have already responded and are trying to help me,

Okay does Sleepeze Soft, Med, firm, extra firm the same as Flobed's ILD's?

Soft 19-22 (natural=20-24) ILD
Medium 26-30 ILD
Firm 30-34 ILD
Extra Firm 34-38 ILD
Super Firm 42-46 ILD (Natural)

I agree with Sandman, move the soft layer up the ladder. though if medium  is 26-30 ILD that is pretty soft.  Are your latex layers labeled on the side?  Does it say LI, and does it say natural, or ?  Look and see if there are labels.  But if it is Dunlop or Natural latex it is firmer.  What is it?  Is it blended talalay?

If your shoulders hurt, it is too hard.  This much I know for sure.
Reply #10 Feb 15, 2010 4:59 PM
sandman wrote:
It is kind of unusual to have soft on the bottom, if I am reading you correctly.  Most are configured with a fairly firm base, and then softer on the top.

Sore back would tend to indicate too soft.  I am less sure about the shoulder soreness.   You did not say how it feels.  Feels too soft, too firm, comfortable, not comfortable? 

I would consider taking the soft layer of the bottom, and maybe try just 3 layers.  XF on bottom, F above and then soft or medium on top. 

What kind of latex is it, dunlop or talalay?

L.I. Talalay blend. When I discussed it with Sleepez  he explained that with soft being the 4th layer that it would not make any difference in the feel. When Im just laying on the mattress watching TV it feels good. I don't sink but it does not feel too firm either. It seems to be more of a problem when Im laying on it overnight. The firmness levels are medium (30-32 ILD), firm (38-40 ILD), extra firm (44 ILD), soft (22-24 ILD), and it is on an all wood slatted box frame.

Recent Posts