Hot Flashes and New Mattress Search
May 27, 2011 9:49 AM
Been following the forum for some time as we have a decade old king 'S' brand that's ready for retirement.

The problem we face is the wife is on a cancer med for the next 3 years or so that give her hot flashes during the night, where she alternates between hot sweats and cold chills, which

interrupt her sleep, and usually mine too.  It's getting a little worse and this warm summer isn't looking too promising with I'm looking for any suggestions as to what route we could take to

make her sleep more comfortable as far as type of mattress, as well as topper or pad? So far, it seems memory foam is off the table because of the heat it retains.  We're in the metro DC

area.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Hot Flashes and New Mattress Search
Reply #1 May 27, 2011 4:02 PM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
Tim.... I'm no expert on the subject but can throw on my own 2 cents. My wife is at that point in life where the 'hot flashes' take over from time to time. We are a month removed from getting a new talalay latex bed after ditching the old Posturepedic. I asked her if she's noticed any change in the cold/hot flashes. Her reply was no change but she's sleeping a whole lot better due to the comfort level. As for me, I sleep better because I don't feel her getting up in the middle of the nigh any longer. So, it sounds like the latex is temperature-neutral.

Good luck to you guys

Reply #2 May 27, 2011 6:04 PM
First, I'm sorry to hear your wife has to go through the battle with cancer. I wish you both well.

I can add my husband experience on latex. He tends to sleep hot if a bed it a little too soft. I know his side is dunlop and firm, and he is sweating in it. I've read dunlop retains heat much more than talalay latex. 

SleepEZ and Flobeds have great return policy's if you decide to give latex a try. 

Good luck! 

Reply #3 May 28, 2011 4:14 PM
timothyg wrote:

Been following the forum for some time as we have a decade old king 'S' brand that's ready for retirement.

The problem we face is the wife is on a cancer med for the next 3 years or so that give her hot flashes during the night, where she alternates between hot sweats and cold chills, which

interrupt her sleep, and usually mine too.  It's getting a little worse and this warm summer isn't looking too promising with I'm looking for any suggestions as to what route we could take to

make her sleep more comfortable as far as type of mattress, as well as topper or pad? So far, it seems memory foam is off the table because of the heat it retains.  We're in the metro DC

area.

Thanks a lot in advance.

If you look back in the archives there was some discussion of this several times. Unfortunately I cannot remember what material it was that Budgy said sleeps very cool. Was it silk? Maybe he'll chime in.

I have heard that a wool topper is cool in summer and warm in winter. I have one and it seems to be that way to me. However someone told me that wool always sleeps warmer not cooler. I have not found that to be the case but it's all very subjective. If you read the web sites of those pushing wool, that is what they say: cooler in summer, warmer in winter. Makes sense to me. But who knows? I would say that some kind of topper should do the trick. Personally I think that while Talalay latex is cooler than Dunlop, both are rubber and to me rubber sleeps hotter than most materials except for memory foam. The problem is that memory foam causes you to sink in, and transfers heat from your body into the foam and vice-versa. Memory foam sleeps hotter than anything imho.

Talalay does not seem to sleep hot to me but I think someone with issues with sleeping hot might think otherwise.

So basically I'm a wealth of information none of which is that useful! All I can tell you for sure is to stay away from memory foam and maybe try wool as a topper. And ask Budgy what sleeps cool, I seem to recall him giving some good answers about this some time back.

Recent Posts