help! new mattress too hard. How do I soften it up?
Oct 21, 2009 10:56 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a new latex mattress + latex/wool topper. But the mattress is too hard, and is giving my husband a sore back at night due to pressure points.
Any suggestion on how to soften it up? Would a topper work? I'm a bit anti-memory foam (smell!) - anyone tried anything else that worked?
A cuddle bed? A wool topper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

Re: help! new mattress too hard. How do I soften it up?
Reply #1 Oct 21, 2009 2:50 PM
It sounds like your bed needs breaking in a bit, if it feels harder than the one in the store.  One topper to try meanwhile might be just a cheapie p/u foam one from Target.  I've used them in the past over a Select Comfort bed and it softened it nicely.  Worst part about that stuff is that it works fine and then in the middle of the night somewhere down the line it just stops working.  So if it works for you, try keeping a backup in the closet for that time.  Meanwhile, your bed should soften with use.
Kait
Reply #2 Oct 21, 2009 3:15 PM
How long does it take to break in? We've had ours for over a month now, and if anything, it feels harder. hmmmmm. I think the trouble might
be because the topper has an ild of 26-32. The store I bought through from said they would switch it out for an ild of 20-22. We did buy
a MF topper from costco just to try, but so far I can't sleep on it because of the smell. I don't like the idea of sleeping on foam, but I am willing
to try anything at this point.
This message was modified Oct 21, 2009 by arg0
Reply #3 Oct 21, 2009 4:27 PM
arg0 wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a new latex mattress + latex/wool topper. But the mattress is too hard, and is giving my husband a sore back at night due to pressure points.
Any suggestion on how to soften it up? Would a topper work? I'm a bit anti-memory foam (smell!) - anyone tried anything else that worked?
A cuddle bed? A wool topper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

I take it you cannot return the mattress? Having a mattress that doesn't work for you is really a bummer. I know.
The only way to soften it up is with a lower ILD latex topper or a memory foam topper, or as Kait said, just regular pu topper. But I don't recommend that option, personally.

FBM - I think - (that's foambymail.com) sells a very low ILD latex topper. Not sure what they sell, but my advice would be to buy whatever you buy in 1" increments. That is, for example, a 1" Sensus memory foam topper from overstock.com and a 1" low ild latex topper from FBM. The only problem is you may spend more money and it STILL may not work for you. But what is your option? If you can't take the mattress back then your only other option is to try to make it work. And the only way you can change a latex mattress is to add some topper(s).

But let me get this straight:
This IS a 100% latex mattress, right? Not an S brand or something with PU foam inside that they CALL a "latex" mattress? Because if it has PU foam inside then you could try taking it apart and replacing the pu foam with latex of various ild.
Reply #4 Oct 21, 2009 5:20 PM
jimsocal wrote:

But let me get this straight:
This IS a 100% latex mattress, right? Not an S brand or something with PU foam inside that they CALL a "latex" mattress? Because if it has PU foam inside then you could try taking it apart and replacing the pu foam with latex of various ild.

Yes, the original mattress is 100% latex. No PU foam at all. I'm not going to change anything with the original mattress. The topper is 2" latex (26-32 ild) and 2" wool. I'm thinking that the latex topper is closer to the 32 ild rather than the 26 (at least I'm hoping that is the case....who can really tell unless you have a piece to compare it to?).  I can switch it out for 20-22ild (which scares me as it might be too soft especially for my husband who is 6'4" and 190 lbs) or 23-25 ild.

Recent Posts