Has anyone had any experience with...
Aug 9, 2009 10:05 PM
...Lady Americana mattresses...pillowtops...especially the Backmaster line?
I am looking at the Macedonia model sold out of the Kansas area...
I have also looked at the Milos model in the Backmaster line.

Also - if we are looking at pillowtop mattresses - is there reason to consider a double-sided mattress...does the ability
to flip the pillowtop mattress actually help?

Newbie here...we haven't looked at mattresses in over 15 years...and just started the process by visiting a few stores and
reading through some of the posts here...at this point I think we are looking at pillowtops with pocketed coils or zoned continuous coils..that what we felt most comfortable with in the stores.

Appreciate any help...thanks.
Re: Has anyone had any experience with...
Reply #1 Sep 9, 2009 11:31 PM
I use to work for a company that bought Lady Americana's Backmaster for a high end Golf resort in Michigan. I always heard good things about them. My personally exiperience has been a good one too. I'm actually considering buying one for myself. They are a little more money but I definately say you are getting your money's worth.
Re: Has anyone had any experience with...
Reply #2 Sep 10, 2009 11:13 AM
Hello Maars,

Lady Americana is a regional brand owned by the Mathis Brothers company. They approached me some years ago about carrying their product in my shop. The coils they use are one of two kinds - Bonnell or Marshal. Bonnell coils are great for spare bedrooms, kid's bedrooms, or short-term solutions but not suitable, in most cases, for two adults every night for ten years. Especially two heavier adults. If you're spending enough to get into the portion of their line that uses the Marshal coil, there are two major manufacturers I've had positive experience with that use the coil or a variation - Simmons or Stearns and Foster Core.

Regarding double pillowtops, you have to do some backpacking to find them now but they do exist. The industry as a whole moved away from them around 2005. All in all, it was a positive move. The double pillowtop (or double-sided any mattress for that matter) didn't really provide enough benefit to outweigh the lack of proper support for the springs and the requirement that the springs be symmetrical around the central axis.

I can help direct you to something you may like if you can answer a few questions for me:

- Do you currently sleep with back pain?

- What kind of mattress do you have and approximately how old is it?

- Give me a rough idea of your size and shape and that of your partner.

- Are you or your partner a hot sleeper?

- Have you had any back or hip surgery?

- Are you a back, stomach, or side sleeper?

-Alex

Recent Posts