Has anyone bought a NexGel Mattress?
Jan 7, 2010 6:22 AM
I tried this mattress at the store and I have to say it is wonderfully comfortable and supportive in the right places. At least for me.
The single layer of honeycomb gel is for people of average weight. Heavier folks can purchase two layers of the gel.

I want to buy one, but I have no idea how it holds up. The honeycomb gel is supposed to be a long lasting material.

But the inner parts of the bed are optional latex or regular foam.

Has anyone bought this mattress? And if so, how has it held up? Does it sag after a while?

Thank you,

SH

This message was modified Jan 7, 2010 by sleepyhead
Re: Has anyone bought a NexGel Mattress?
Reply #8 Jan 16, 2010 7:12 PM
From what I've been told by a mattress industry professional, here's what the deal is between IntelliBED and Nexgel.

IntelliBED holds the exclusive rights to sell mattresses containing IntelliGel for the US and Canada. 

NexGel mattresses contain a form of the gel that has to have a certain minimum percentage of air contained within the gel, so that they could circumvent the patent license held by Intellibed.  This gel is not as strong as the real Intelligel, and may not be as durable in the long run.  I've been told that mattresses containing real intelligel has been proven to be very durable.

I don't believe that the nexgel can be as durable, considering it has air bubbles in it... It's not proven in the marketplace.
Reply #9 Jan 16, 2010 7:21 PM
I totally believe there must be a difference because you can definitely feel it.  But of course "Intelligel" is exclusive to Intellibed, it is just their name for it.  Its kind of like saying Beautyrest pocket coils are exclusive to Simmons, and they are, because its their name for the product. Even if they were the exact same material NexGel would be calling their product NexGel and not "Intelligel". 
Reply #10 Jan 16, 2010 8:05 PM
Years ago I think I bought a pillow for $100 (wasted money) that had gel squares.  I didn't like it all.  I was thinking about getting the mattress and tried the pillow.  I am glad I only lost $100.  That store closed here, I thought they went out of business.  If this is the same stuff....
Reply #11 Jan 17, 2010 10:59 PM
In my opinion, NexGel is not the same as IntelliGEL.  Air bubbles weaken the gel, and it has the potential to not last as long.
Reply #12 Jan 18, 2010 9:15 AM
Our local store still has models, I like them and have tried all of them over a 2 week period. I would go everyday after work and pick another bed for 10 minutes. I can't afford to make another mistake. I weigh 300lbs and have been sitting on a pad of this in my car, it has not broken down in the three years I have had it. The gel  stuff is made from mineral oil, I am told.

The company is changing hands and price will go up but I bet the public thinks this is a gimick. I switched back to air and I think I will stick to it, it continues to work for me. I am sending the latex back to Costco today. I'm a nurse and we always put people on air, I've never seen one of these gel beds in the hospitals. I called around, just for the hell of it and nope, no one had heard of the "gel" bed! The way they advertise this bed you'd think every doc in America wants you to have one!??  

Reply #13 Jan 18, 2010 12:18 PM
if clinical/medical backing was the #1 thing though, then everyone would sleep on a Tempur-Pedic.  Followed by wool topped mattresses.
Reply #14 Jan 18, 2010 11:45 PM
budgy wrote:
if clinical/medical backing was the #1 thing though, then everyone would sleep on a Tempur-Pedic.  Followed by wool topped mattresses.

We've replaced a lot of tempurpedic mattresses with an IntelliBED, and almost always end up with a satisfied client.

In the US, there's a lot of marketing money that ends up in the hands of doctors promoting a product... It's not evidence that doctors believe that it's superior.
Reply #15 Jan 19, 2010 2:36 AM
i wasn't exactly endorsing a Tempur-Pedic for everyone either.  just merely playing devils advocate because it is actually used in hospitals around the globe. 
Reply #16 Jan 19, 2010 8:16 AM
I took care of a "para" for years, she had a $10,000 air bed from Sweden. Now that was a fancy bed with a small generator so it never loses power. We have been having quite the storm here in Calif with lots more on the way, power was out for 12 hours yesterday.

My hat is off to the people who take the time to write here. I've taken printouts of this site to every mattress store in my area. I'm a friendly kinda gal, this keeps me sharp!

Thanks,

Alice 

Reply #17 Jan 29, 2010 8:10 PM
I have a Nexgel bed and it sleeps wonderful.  I have had it now for about a month and I have my choice of beds to sleep on.  I was skeptical that the bed could stack up against some of the other beds that I have slept on.  don't get caught up in the hype over Intelligel and orthogel...they were invented by the same company.  I don't think that a polymer will break down even with the harshest use in less than 20 years.  I also use the Roll N Go seat cushion when I am at work.

Recent Posts