Green Sleep Coil + Latex
Sep 9, 2010 11:01 PM
Opinions on their design of coil foundations with quilted latex/wool upper?  Was very impressed with the support and feel of their lower end Allegra set.

thanks

Re: Green Sleep Coil + Latex
Reply #4 Sep 10, 2010 2:51 AM
Please keep us posted terra3.  I have also checked out the Green Sleep Molena line at a local shop.  My impression is quite good.  I do have some reserve as this is their first coil mattress as I don't quite like buying the first version of new product.
Reply #5 Sep 18, 2010 1:41 AM
Where does one find information on these mattresses?  There isn't anything about a coil mattress on the GreenSleep website!  Am I missing it?  Thanks!
Reply #6 Sep 18, 2010 2:14 AM
GreenSleep's website is supposed to be re-launched fairly soon.  Not really sure what that means in terms of days, weeks or months though.  Some searching and you can find some good info from certain retailers on line if you want detailed specs
Reply #7 Sep 18, 2010 2:56 AM
Got it, thanks Budgy.
Reply #8 Oct 26, 2010 7:32 PM
An update on my original post . . . .

Received the Greensleep Allegra mattress set a couple days ago.  Incredible workmanship in both the mattress and the slat wood box set (and a nod to their packaging for shipment . . . impressive!).  Supplied with a St. Dormier washable wool mattress protector.  And using with my old down & feather pillows.

Fairly firm as had the floor model.  Settled in and I could feel my back adjusting to the change . . . at first the sense of the firmness, then a very comfortable and supportive posture.  Shifted onto my side (I'm about 50:50 back/side as much as I could tell), and very comfortable to me.  Back onto my back to see . . . .

Next thing I knew, my alarm clock was going off and it was time to get to work.  Woke up on my back with a smile developing that only got wider as I got up without the usual backache.  Seriously refreshing sleep.

It's interesting that I don't sense at all through feeling or even noise the inner coil springs that they use.

In all, an extraordinary two days of sleep.  We'll see how this goes, but I have nothing but happiness to share at finding what I was looking for.

The only negative (and this is relative to each) is that the set is what I'd consider expensive.  But then again, I've been criticized for living in the past.  And in hindsight now, I'd spend the same again if I had to do it over.

If any pointed questions, happy to oblige.

Reply #9 Oct 26, 2010 8:18 PM
Thanks for the update, and glad you are happy!   Do you know the firmness of the latex layer?

At some point I might want to try one of those.  I just saw that they have a retailer in my area, and I didn't think that was the case.  I would probably go for the pocketed coils, because I am finding I prefer a bit softer coil system.

I assume this is pretty firm and that is what you like?

Reply #10 Oct 26, 2010 8:23 PM
Yes, firmness is what I was after.  I don't know the measure of the firmness (Greensleep may provide their spec?).  But I find it comforting as well as supportive . . . . both very relative terms.  And the latex atop coil spring is something that just seems to work.  Time will tell.
Reply #11 Nov 11, 2010 1:44 PM
An update to my last post . . . .

Things took a turn for the worse.  My next night's sleep, I awoke middle of the night coughing and having problems breathing.  Awaking, I recognized a strong, sweet odour in the room.  Left, showered, but the odour persisted, including in my nose and a strong rubbery taste in my mouth.  Headed to the doc because it was so disturbing.  Prescribed 'puffer' to help with ibreathing, a suggestion that I may have developed an allergy to something in the mattress, and a further suggestion to 'get rid of the mattress' (if it was needed).

The supplier (decent folks, very happy with their attention to this) took the set back and are working to resolve.  The manufacturer (not very happy with them) were simply adamant that it was an allergy and that their product isn't to blame (should add: I've never actually heard this from them . . . despite queries to them, not a single answer to myself about my issue or concerns).

It took a bit over a week for the odour in the room to leave and multiple washings of the bedding that was in close contact with the mattress.  Ten days after and my breathing problems and odd taste are minimal . . . that is sooo welcomed.  May have been an allergic reaction, but honestly, I can't understand the strong odours.  In case folks are thinking it is in my head (?), the trucking firm that picked up the mattress was concerned about entering the room to pick up the mattress and indicated that they would use gloves because I had no idea just 'what' was in the mattress.

So now considering a more simple bedding arrangement, with a nod toward what may be an allergy (?) to latex or some other material (??) in the bed.  Looking now at a wool, wool/cotton mattres with or without innerspring.  A few varieties that are appealing and seem to have a broad based support (reminds me of the tough mattress of my youth).  That said, appreciate any/all input on this new direction.  Should add - despite no known allergies in my life, and the fact I had used latex in the course of my occupation - I am checking out materials for allergic response prior to any decision.  Should also add, for those interested and in the Edmonton area, there may be an excellent 'used' (two nights) Greensleep Allegra king mattress set available at discount from the $$ of original price.

Christ . . . . what a time . . . . .

Reply #12 Nov 11, 2010 6:05 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your experience .... wow!

I am curious for my own information so thought I'd ask ... it seems that allergies to latex foam are very rare since the proteins that are responsible for them are mostly removed in the making of the foam .... however I have also read that those very few who are allergic have often become sensitive through their exposure to latex in different forms that do have the proteins in them (rubber gloves etc).

What type and degree of exposure did you have in your past?

I sure hope that they (greensleep) will "support" giving you a complete refund considering your experience and the validation of your doctor.

The odour issue to that degree is really strange. Did you notice any odour in the first couple of nights or did it only start after a couple of days? I can't help but wonder if there was some kind of "defective" material in the mattress. Wierd.

Phoenix

Reply #13 Nov 11, 2010 6:40 PM
Just thought I would add to this thread that the 14 ILD Talatech topper that I purchased 4 months ago from SLAB still has a strong odor to it.  I will only sleep on that bed if we have company and every time I do the smell is quite strong (despite having a Dormeir and an extra layer of wool between it and me) and I wake up mildly congested with a headache.  The bed without this topper did not give me headaches, so it is definitely the latex.  I also had to return a topper to Essentia for the same reason.  I didn't return the SLAB topper because restocking and shipping fees from Canada made it almost a losing proposition.  As a veterinarian, I spent over 20 years wearing latex gloves daily so that may have sensitized me.  I have also reacted to the horsehair in Hastens and now have a strong allergy to cats which I never had when I first started my profession. 

What I find concerning about terra3's experience is the closed-mind attitude of the manufacturer (GreenSleep).  Thankfully, the retailer was more open-minded about it and is working to find terra3 a replacement mattress - I suspect the retailer is going to out some $ on this one if Green Sleep won't acknowledge the problem and he/she has to sell the Allegra at a reduced price.

Recent Posts