Green / Eco-friendly / All Natural Mattresses?
Sep 26, 2011 10:37 PM
Hi All,

Total longshot but anyone bought an environmentally friendly mattress? ie. ones that are generally all natural, no woll, no vaseline or basically harmfull chemicals and dyes, etc.  

Or even can anyone recommend the names of any companies manufacturing such mattressses? I've been doing some google searching and it seems that there are niche brands such as "Essentia" who are selling pretty much the ideal kind of eco-friendly mattress my girlfriend and I are looking for, unfortunately it's way way out of our price range.  We are looking for a King for $2000 or less, Essentia is mainly between $2000-5000 for a King.

On the other end of the scale is Sealy's Natural Origins.  is this Sealy potentially hoping on the green-friendly bandwagon with a mattress series such as this?.  Anyone heard anything about this brand (Sealy - Natural Origins).

Anyone with any experience in this field, it would be greatly appreciated.  We're only really looking for vendors who sell in North America (we're in Canada).

THANKS!

This message was modified Sep 26, 2011 by sianspheric
Re: Green / Eco-friendly / All Natural Mattresses?
Reply #1 Sep 27, 2011 12:37 PM
Essentia is making a lot of exaggerated claims and false promises (some petroleum being used, in unknown quantities, but labelling it an organic mattress), but it is a lot greener than the Natural Origins line from Sealy (mostly petroleum).

Look at SleepTek, Natura (organic line only)  or GreenSleep for Canadian made truly natural product.  Unfortunately below the $2000 range the closest to natural you are going to get is realistically only 30%~40% natural.  Blended latex with polyurethane foam cores for the most part is about as natural as you can do. When for about $3000ish you could do 100% natural and also get a product that would like last twice as long as the beds below 2k because of a lack of polyrethane foam.  

Reply #2 Sep 27, 2011 12:56 PM
thank you very much, that is very useful info to know

if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to contribute.

Reply #3 Sep 27, 2011 4:53 PM
budgy wrote:

Essentia is making a lot of exaggerated claims and false promises (some petroleum being used, in unknown quantities, but labelling it an organic mattress), but it is a lot greener than the Natural Origins line from Sealy (mostly petroleum).

Look at SleepTek, Natura (organic line only)  or GreenSleep for Canadian made truly natural product.  Unfortunately below the $2000 range the closest to natural you are going to get is realistically only 30%~40% natural.  Blended latex with polyurethane foam cores for the most part is about as natural as you can do. When for about $3000ish you could do 100% natural and also get a product that would like last twice as long as the beds below 2k because of a lack of polyrethane foam.  

A SleepEZ 8500 'all natural' dunlop and / or talalay all latex is $2150 shipped for a King mattress.  Blended is $1750 for King.  That would seem better than a poly core.  

This message was modified Sep 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #4 Sep 29, 2011 8:42 PM
2150 without shipping and brokerage into Canada...but yeah that is a good deal regardless :)
Reply #5 Sep 29, 2011 11:15 PM
Natura also has a new line of beds coming available within the next couple months, called the 'sleek line'.  Not technically 100% natural because the covers are bamboo viscose (bamboo thread/yarn is not really natural), but the rubber cores are 100% natural, pricing looks good, maybe there will be a dealer near you that will bring them in.  It is always best to lay down on a bed in person if it is possible, shame there are not many dealers that carry the really good stuff.
Reply #6 Oct 1, 2011 4:26 PM
sianspheric wrote:

Hi All,

Total longshot but anyone bought an environmentally friendly mattress? ie. ones that are generally all natural, no woll, no vaseline or basically harmfull chemicals and dyes, etc.  

Or even can anyone recommend the names of any companies manufacturing such mattressses? I've been doing some google searching and it seems that there are niche brands such as "Essentia" who are selling pretty much the ideal kind of eco-friendly mattress my girlfriend and I are looking for, unfortunately it's way way out of our price range.  We are looking for a King for $2000 or less, Essentia is mainly between $2000-5000 for a King.

On the other end of the scale is Sealy's Natural Origins.  is this Sealy potentially hoping on the green-friendly bandwagon with a mattress series such as this?.  Anyone heard anything about this brand (Sealy - Natural Origins).

Anyone with any experience in this field, it would be greatly appreciated.  We're only really looking for vendors who sell in North America (we're in Canada).

THANKS!

Latex is pretty natural - depends on if you get "blended" or not.  they often come with organic wool covers.  We're looking at natural dunlop, with organic cotton and wool.   Can't get more "green" than that!

Good luck!

This message was modified Oct 1, 2011 by Iris
Reply #7 Nov 25, 2011 12:11 PM
bump.

it looks like we might go for a Sealy Natural Origins

for a few reasons:

1. it isn't made of wool, my girlfriend is a vegan and she would prefer the bed not be made of any animal products.  "Organic" wool might be something she would consider, but that's not something I am seeing advertised often, even with the "eco friendly" etc mattress companies

2. the natural origins line isn't the $4000 we would spend on an essentia. 

any other opinions, the real challenge for us is finding stores in Toronto (which isn't small city) that actually carries organic mattresses that are not made with wool and do not contain fire-retardant chemicals.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2011 by sianspheric
Reply #8 Nov 25, 2011 4:58 PM
I hope this doesn't come across as abrasive.  But does your girlfriend know that shearing wool off of sheep is the equivalent of giving a human being a hair cut? It actually makes the animal more comfortable. The alternative to using sheeps wool as a fire retardant layer is using petroleum based products....if you don't think using oil based products in a bed is animal cruelty just tell her to go look at pictures of the gulf oil spill.  

I am sorry if this sounds rude of me to say, I don't mean to offend.  But I guess I am just saying that there is perhaps no perfect solution, the benefits of sleeping with sheeps wool are vast. It is one of the only materials proven to help people actually sleep deeper/better as it helps to steady your heart rate.  Rest comes easier and is more efficient.

Reply #9 Nov 25, 2011 6:48 PM
I would check out the flobeds sale.  50% off 100% natural latex (with some blemishes).  Organic cotton and wool cover. I think sale ends Monday though. 
Reply #10 Nov 25, 2011 8:07 PM
"..shearing wool off of sheep is the equivalent of giving a human being a hair cut?"

I was thinking the same thing. I personally won't use any products that involves cruelty in any form, but domestic sheep must be shorn in the spring, or they would suffer terribly. They're not killed for their wool, and live to grow another thick coat.

Not sure what you mean by ".."Organic" wool might be something she would consider.." Real wool comes from sheep, so it's all organic.

Not being critical, just not understanding your meaning.

Recent Posts