Green / Eco-friendly / All Natural Mattresses?
Sep 26, 2011 10:37 PM
Hi All,

Total longshot but anyone bought an environmentally friendly mattress? ie. ones that are generally all natural, no woll, no vaseline or basically harmfull chemicals and dyes, etc.  

Or even can anyone recommend the names of any companies manufacturing such mattressses? I've been doing some google searching and it seems that there are niche brands such as "Essentia" who are selling pretty much the ideal kind of eco-friendly mattress my girlfriend and I are looking for, unfortunately it's way way out of our price range.  We are looking for a King for $2000 or less, Essentia is mainly between $2000-5000 for a King.

On the other end of the scale is Sealy's Natural Origins.  is this Sealy potentially hoping on the green-friendly bandwagon with a mattress series such as this?.  Anyone heard anything about this brand (Sealy - Natural Origins).

Anyone with any experience in this field, it would be greatly appreciated.  We're only really looking for vendors who sell in North America (we're in Canada).

THANKS!

This message was modified Sep 26, 2011 by sianspheric
Re: Green / Eco-friendly / All Natural Mattresses?
Reply #11 Nov 26, 2011 12:36 AM
sianspheric,

Dave here at FloBeds.  If you don't find a what you're looking for north of the border, check out our Vegan Mattress: http://www.flobeds.com/VeganMattress.htm

We usually need a doctors prescription to ship a mattress without wool (or way of meeting US Fire Standards).  But I think we can ship without note to Canada (I'll have to check).  Shipping across the border adds a little to the UPS charges.  But the good news is you can order our clearance special on Seconds or our First quality.  Just put a note in the comments section as you check out.

DaveT

Reply #12 Nov 26, 2011 10:59 PM
Hi Sianspheric, 2000$ can design any kind of mattress as you think!   Of course it just depend on the market and country!

For example, people buy latex and memory foam mattress in USA may pay 600$ for king size, but in China it just cost 250$. 

Last time when we go to the 110th Canton Fair in China, there are a company show out a 899$ mattress, as they said all the material improt from foreign country. It just as you mentation, wool fabric, dumlop latex and memory foam with 5 zone pocket spring!

But the company is a new one and their reputation is not as good as Sealy, we are appricated to their technology and quality, it is a pity that we lose their name card, just because there are too many suppliers can be choised!

Maybe you can ask the forum moderator for help!

Regards

Derick

Reply #13 Dec 16, 2011 7:02 PM
sianspheric wrote:

bump.

it looks like we might go for a Sealy Natural Origins

for a few reasons:

1. it isn't made of wool, my girlfriend is a vegan and she would prefer the bed not be made of any animal products.  "Organic" wool might be something she would consider, but that's not something I am seeing advertised often, even with the "eco friendly" etc mattress companies

2. the natural origins line isn't the $4000 we would spend on an essentia. 

any other opinions, the real challenge for us is finding stores in Toronto (which isn't small city) that actually carries organic mattresses that are not made with wool and do not contain fire-retardant chemicals.

It has been awhile since I worked with the Natural Origins line-up from Sealy, but if I remember correctly, they actually (Sealy) carry 2 levels of latex beds... one being "greener" than the next. As you go greener in their Sealy line-ups, you definitely pay a higher price. If you are looking at their website (sealy.com) they actually show 2 different lines of latex (the Stearns is a coiled bed with a layer of zoned or "SMART" latex). The Sealy Brand and the Embody by Sealy in latex are the two... note that the one with more latex and benefits starts at $2000 in a Queen... I think the Natural Origins is the Sealy Brand (which is basically their generic way of describing what they will rename for specific retailers). Anyway, one of the ways to get some of what you want is by going with one of the other brands mentioned by some of the other posters in your thread. Anytime you are putting latex on a core (which is polyurethane or soy/polyurethane blend, typically) you are entering the petroleum arena.

There have been several posts by people who like the do it yourself style, which couldbe more work than you might enjoy, but this is just some background info to help you in your decision making...

Sleep Well "sianspheric"!

Reply #14 Dec 20, 2011 11:45 AM
thanks for all the tips and advice guys!

I fully agree on the point about wool, I'm not offended at all.  I honestly think if I presented the "sheep NEED to be shorn of their excess wool" argument to the vegan girlfriend, she could probably produce many articles about cruelty and unethical treatment of sheep.  So that's probably why she has that bias.  She's not extremely against Wool, but she would have to trust that the source sounds ethical (such as Flobeds).

Dave, flobeds sounds amazing, and definitely has the criteria we are interested in.  Unfortunately I am totally reluctant to buy a mattress without lying down on it.  All the youtube videos/testamonials/reviews would not convince me as much as lying down on one. 

Right now, I think we've given up on the Sealy line.

I tried out a Keetsa bed a few days ago and it was super comfy and very affordable, it's partially made of tea leaves (how "green", I know), so I think we are going to check out the Keetsa store here as they do carry a few beds that might fit enough criteria for our needs.

http://shop.keetsa.com/products/tea-leaf-classic

Reply #15 Apr 29, 2013 7:26 PM
Hi to sianspheric and anyone else looking for an eco friendly memory foam mattress alternative.  Here’s another eco friendly brand that I found.  The Eco Planet mattress is manufactured in the only eco-certified factory in China.  The foaming process is entirely contained in a pressurized chamber, eliminating chemicals from being released into the atmosphere.
This message was modified Apr 29, 2013 by a moderator
Reply #16 Apr 30, 2013 10:25 AM
I am sure I will get in some kind od trouble for posting all this info and I apologize for it but have no ill intention. We carry a Product made for us by a manufacturer which is all natural dunlop (6 customized inches and 3 soft on top) and is made without wool. It would be in the range you are looking for. It has NO foam, it uses a Rayon with a small amount of polyester to meet fire codes.
This message was modified Sep 19, 2013 by a moderator

Recent Posts