Flobed Natural Latex: 9" or 12"?
Jan 13, 2010 10:01 PM
I've settled on a flobed natural latex mattress but am unsure if the 9" posture select or 12" posture deluxe would be better. I'm inclined to the 9" for both budget and aesthetic reasons (I'd rather not have such a high mattress), but would go with the 12" if it will be significantly more comfortable or offer better support. I'm 6' 2" and 190 pounds, my wife is 5' 4" and 125 pounds. Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated!
Re: Flobed Natural Latex: 9" or 12"?
Reply #1 Jan 14, 2010 12:08 AM
unovis wrote:
I've settled on a flobed natural latex mattress but am unsure if the 9" posture select or 12" posture deluxe would be better. I'm inclined to the 9" for both budget and aesthetic reasons (I'd rather not have such a high mattress), but would go with the 12" if it will be significantly more comfortable or offer better support. I'm 6' 2" and 190 pounds, my wife is 5' 4" and 125 pounds. Any thoughts or advice are much appreciated!

I see that FlowBeds is having a sale on their all natural mattresses at this time. The posture select has a $100 discount, and the posture deluxe has a $200 discount.

I purchased the posture deluxe 100% natural and have been very pleased with it. I am 6' 2" and 210 pounds. Being 20 pounds lighter you might get by with the posture select and save $350. But here's the thing about the posture deluxe. You have an extra layer to play around with to try and get the perfect sleeping experience.

Since I first set the bed up I have never changed the bottom split layers of extra firm. So I really can't tell you what this change would do as far as comfort is concerned. But I can tell you that the second layer definitely makes a difference in how the bed feels. David Turner at FloBeds is excellent to work with. You could try out the posture select and if it is not comfortable enough for you I'm sure he would exchange it for the more expensive model once you pay the extra money.

But keep this in mind. Moving these layers around is not an easy proposition. Unpacking, installing and then adjusting just the two top layers ( keep in mind these are split layers for my California King so we're talking four separate pieces of latex) can become quite taxing. If you do not like the posture select and want to trade it for an upgrade to the posture deluxe, then all the pieces have to be repackaged, have all the air sucked out of the packaging, and everything put back in the boxes and reshipped to FloBeds.

By the time you're done adjusting you may wish you had spent the extra $350 to begin with. Although they have a very reasonable shipping charge for returning items it can still add up the more pieces you exchange.

If it were me, I would do again what I did originally, purchase the natural deluxe three layer plus convoluted 2 inch top layer mattress. I have not been sorry! You can read my entire adventure in the thread, "Just bought a new FloBeds"

I believe you have chosen a good company to work with.

Good luck.
This message was modified Jan 14, 2010 by eagle2
Re: Flobed Natural Latex: 9" or 12"?
Reply #2 Jan 14, 2010 12:38 AM
I have the 12" mattress that I also like for moving the latex pieces around to get the perfect comfort level. I also liked how it fits with my fitted sheets best since it is not so thick like some of the newer mattressers are and all my fitted sheets fit it nicely.  I bought the pine slat frame and just like the way the thicker mattress looks. I have clients that have the 9" latex mattress that they put on their bedroom set's slat bed frame and they are happy with that also.

The closer you are to the frame, the firmer the bed will be but I preferred the extra layer since I was investing in a good night's sleep.  It really is up to you.  I think the big mattresses in the stores are going at 18" to 22" thick and are much too thick to me.

Recent Posts