Fire retardant mattress covers
Jun 29, 2011 4:56 PM
I've been wondering about something ever since I cut the pillowtop out of my Sealy. Sealy has this to say about their fire protection "FlameGuard, a silk/wool blend, is completely non-toxic technology that utilizes a fiber combination of current Sealy fibers with Visil, a Rayon-based fiber that does not affect the breathability or feel of the mattresses. Visil fiber remains neutral until it is touched by flames. At that point, Visil fibers crinkle, shrink, and bond together to form a fire barrier."   I think that's pretty neat actually, and much better than spraying with chemicals.  My questions relate to the fact that, now that I've cut the cover, this barrier would seem to be compromised.  Does anyone know if the foams inside would also be treated for fire retardancy?  Also, I've seen that you can buy "fire retardant mattress covers" but since those are made of cotton or similar, I'm assuming they are simply sprayed with fire retardant chemicals - does anyone know if that is true?  Or, does anyone know of anywhere you can purchase a barrier type fabric mattress cover, rather than something with chemicals on it?

Thanks for any info!

Re: Fire retardant mattress covers
Reply #1 Feb 9, 2012 9:57 PM
Hi Susan, first of all- fire retardants are terrible for your health. Almost every single one on the market is either carcinogenic or has severe irritants, with the exception of pure wool. If you see a "fire retardant" cover, it is guarenteed to be chemically treated (and not what you want next to your skin!) Avoid these like the plague. Also understand, that you do not need this material ALL the way around the mattress. Unless you are elderly, you will get out of bed and out of the situation is there is a fire, and especially before it ignited your mattress. What a wool topper will do, will make it burn MUCH slower, rather than igniting it into a fireball, and provide a comfort layer.

Beyond that, there are other measures I would consider before a wool topper. You don't want your warning to be when your mattress is on fire, that should be the ABSOLUTE LAST warning of a fire.  The bedroom is one of the more important rooms to be prepared for. Some people are deep sleepers and will sleep until the fire is right outside their door, or the smoke will consume the oxygen levels and the victims will choke in their sleep. I lost a friend to a house fire, and I have 2 firefighters in my family, so experience speaks.

This message was modified Aug 21, 2015 by a moderator
Re: Fire retardant mattress covers
Reply #2 Dec 26, 2015 2:31 PM
Hi Susan, I think only the pillow top is fire retardant. Visil is not available in the inner foam. There are other inherently flame retardant fibers in the market like Nomex, Lenzing FR (http://filadora.com/term/Lenzing-FR), etc. They are not harmful but it's not likely to find them in home textiles.

Recent Posts