A few more questions about latex. Thickness differences & Euro slats?
Mar 20, 2010 11:47 AM
Thanks to all the helpful people here I'm learnijng a lot about latex beds. I have a few more questions before I decide.

One concerns foundations. I've learned here about Euro slats. It seems like a flexible option for me, comfort wise, and I can add legs now and put it on a frame or platform later if I choose to. Flobeds sells one and I'm leaning toward that. I've read on this forum that a thinner mattress is preferred for use with these. But how thin, does anyone know? 

My second question, I see that some companies offer a 6" thick latex in addition to or instead of multiple 3" layers. Beyond the doubling in weight for one piece and the flexibilty to custom make the bed (ease of shipping, moveability, etc...), what is the difference between, say,  one 6" firm and two 3" firms?

This message was modified Mar 20, 2010 by cynicaljones
Re: A few more questions about latex. Thickness differences & Euro slats?
Reply #3 Mar 24, 2010 3:22 PM
I didn't even see this thread, I too was inquiring about the Flobed Euro Flex Slat foundation. 

It sounds like a really good idea.  I would rule out the 11" thick mattress, since someone said they didn't even feel the flex foundation under that.  Too me even 9" would be too much, but that is all Flobed sells I believe.  I would think 6", but not sure how that would be accomplished do you???   Besides buy the layers seperatedly, then buying a cover to protect the latex.

Have you found any other sellers of the flex fondation?  I haven't really found anyone else.

Reply #4 Mar 24, 2010 3:45 PM
I would think any more than 8" on this type of base would be a waste.  Some mattresses that use this type of system only use 4" of latex, and the most is about 8". 
Reply #5 Mar 24, 2010 4:14 PM
Thanks Budgy, you're the best smiley

Now I read (somewhere) that firm might not be the best for the flex system.  I am sorry, but I read so darn much I forget where.  What ILD do you recommend?  Do you sell these?  I did PM you.

Reply #6 Mar 24, 2010 5:15 PM
because of the spacing its actually always best to have a high ILD layer directly on the slats, probably a 2" layer of the very highest ILD possible would be fine.  because of the elasticity of latex this should not effect the slats ability to perform their intended function.  after that initial layer I am sure with the rest of the 6" of latex on top you can do enough different combinations to make it work. 
This message was modified Mar 24, 2010 by budgy
Reply #7 Mar 24, 2010 8:38 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Have you found any other sellers of the flex fondation?  I haven't really found anyone else.

I have found a couple very expensive ones online and Ikea. I believe Ikea's offerings are also motorized to be adjustable.

This message was modified Mar 24, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #8 Mar 24, 2010 8:40 PM
budgy wrote:

I would think any more than 8" on this type of base would be a waste.  Some mattresses that use this type of system only use 4" of latex, and the most is about 8". 

Thanks for your help, budgy. Dp you have an opinion regarding which is better: The Euro slats and a less foam or regular slats & more foam? I really, really only want to buy this bed once and the more I read the more confused I become.

Reply #9 Mar 24, 2010 8:42 PM
Just to give you an idea of how much latex weighs, a 3" Firm or Extra Firm Queen size topper weighs about 50 lbs.
Reply #10 Mar 24, 2010 10:49 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Thanks for your help, budgy. Dp you have an opinion regarding which is better: The Euro slats and a less foam or regular slats & more foam? I really, really only want to buy this bed once and the more I read the more confused I become.

its preference really at the end of the day...I personally find the slats give more flexibility in the ergonomics than just more layers of foam on a solid base.

Reply #11 Mar 24, 2010 11:49 PM
Thank you, budgy. That's the way I was leaning, so I'm glad I was on the right track.
Reply #12 Mar 25, 2010 3:57 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

I have been researching this for over a year now, so how confused can I be now?  Even more, surprise

What is really perplexing is why some people love their latex, and others can't stand it.  The other factor after using blended talalay (pretty sure anyway) is it is now softer than it use to be.  Some pieces are over 1 year old, others are several months old.  So I hit bottom on my spring mattress, and that is with 5" of latex!  So I am confused frown

This subject has been talked about before, but does the natural latex break down and get softer?  I can't be imaging my latex breaking down can I?  Though I have never been able to side sleep for longer than 2 hours without waking in pain.  I am afraid to take the plunge of buying an all latex mattress if I can't get this too work.  But contributing factor is my O-stock latex did not list ILD.  So I have for sure a Brylane topper that is blended talalay of proably 20ILD, not listed of course.  A marked 24ILD of blended talalay.  The rest is unidentifiable, other than my judgment of it being firmer than 32 but that is all I can guess.

Recent Posts