Essentia
Dec 16, 2009 10:36 PM
I'm new here. I've spent a few hours poking around but haven't found any information on the mattress I'm considering: the Classic 8 by a company called Essentia (www.myessentia.com). They are a Canadian company that makes what is billed as the world's only natural memory foam. Has anyone heard of them? Thanks for taking the time to answer. -Michelle
Re: Essentia
Reply #28 Jan 14, 2010 3:19 AM
I realize I might sound slightly biased as I am in the industry.  But I was wondering if Essentia might be able to answer a few questions since they do have an account on the forums.

http://www.myessentia.com/research/glues-toxic-components

This page lists that they use styrene butadiene in their foam.  Here is where I have some issues/concerns.

You claim that your product is petroleum free...however styrene butadiene is a petro chemical product.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene-butadiene

as a matter of fact, you also do NOT list this chemical under the content for synthetic latex.  Although synthetic latex quite literally IS styrene butadiene.  This is exactly what the abbreviation for synthetic rubber stands for...SBR (styrene-butadiene rubber).  You also for some wierd reason list this ingredient under "Natural Latex".  Although Natural latex (if you are not misleading people) quite literally means it would not be blended with synthetic latex (styrene butadiene).

The page goes on to explain:  "Waxes styrene-butadiene copolymer is used to add resistance and longevity to natural foams. This component has excellent abrasion resistance when properly blended. This component is most commonly used in blends of natural latex. This component is considered a thickening agent and gelling agent and contains vegetal based waxes." 

I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not blended latex (natural and synthetic rubber) is more durable than all natural latex (sans styrene butadiene).  However I find it very misleading to basically call natural latex a blend when basically every other latex manufacturer in the world is incredibly specific on what they are blending into the mix and are far more honest about what IS 100% Natural Rubber or what is a blend of natural and synthetic. 
Reply #29 Jan 27, 2010 9:42 AM

If you think the manufacturers of natural latex are honest when they say 100% natural, you're clearly not at the back end of the industry, and in fact probably in the front line (SALES).

All salespeople in the industry that I've met have a limited knowledge of contents that actually are in the components of a mattress. They pass on what they've been told by the mattress assembly company's marketing department, who passes on what he's been told by the component supplier's marketing department, who passes on what the foam manufacturer has told him based on European standards and industry regulations which indicates that 85% natural can be marketed as 100% natural, since 100% is not achievable.

I am curious to know, which branch of the mattress industry chain the writer is from, and who he works for. He should not be upset that we are transparent, he should take this opportunity to learn all he can from us, as we are actual latex foamers.

Reply #30 Jan 27, 2010 12:21 PM
im in the sales aspect of it but deal with companies that have something called 3rd party certification.  yes it is technically impossible to have 100% natural latex foam because there will always be residual vulcanizing agents and soaps.  however when something is certified 100% natural they are talking about the polymer content of the material.  the ratio of NR to SBR, this is why I ask about your styrene butadiene content.  I have actually seen the test sheets by Eco Institut of other latex foamers listing the polymer content, one of which I even posted on this site in another thread.  Adding styrene butadiene is hardly necessary and does reduce the natural content.  if you feel you are not being misleading by calling your product all natural when it is not as "all natural" as possible that is your decision to market the product as being so. 

if your argument is solely going to consist of declaring the obvious differences in pointing out that I am in sales and you are on the manufacturing end but not back up anything with facts then your point is really quite invalid.  I am asking legitimate questions.  And I am not so naive to believe every ones claim on 100% natural....precisely why I am questioning you all the same as any other person who has tried to sell me something they thought was natural but really isn't. 
This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by budgy
Reply #31 Jan 27, 2010 2:06 PM
budgy wrote:
im in the sales aspect of it but deal with companies that have something called 3rd party certification.  yes it is technically impossible to have 100% natural latex foam because there will always be residual vulcanizing agents and soaps.  however when something is certified 100% natural they are talking about the polymer content of the material.  the ratio of NR to SBR, this is why I ask about your styrene butadiene content.  I have actually seen the test sheets by Eco Institut of other latex foamers listing the polymer content, one of which I even posted on this site in another thread.  Adding styrene butadiene is hardly necessary and does reduce the natural content.  if you feel you are not being misleading by calling your product all natural when it is not as "all natural" as possible that is your decision to market the product as being so. 

if your argument is solely going to consist of declaring the obvious differences in pointing out that I am in sales and you are on the manufacturing end but not back up anything with facts then your point is really quite invalid.  I am asking legitimate questions.  And I am not so naive to believe every ones claim on 100% natural....precisely why I am questioning you all the same as any other person who has tried to sell me something they thought was natural but really isn't. 

hello budgy: what do u think of latex mattress from Costco that some bought? is it any good for people with low back pain.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by lowbacpain
Reply #32 Jan 27, 2010 4:58 PM

Our findings are based on some european eco certified latex foamers that we have worked with first hand in their labs and directly on their foaming departments, and know their content and certifications. We cannot comment on any other foamers since we have not worked directly with their product, which is the only true certification for us. Our disclosures are intended for in depth information and not a sales pitch. We would simply say 100% natural (like everyone else does), and not actually disclose that it is not all natural.

Reply #33 Jan 27, 2010 5:14 PM
I appreciate the list nonetheless.  But listing an ingredients list doesn't really tell us the quantities of anything either.  Which in the interest of full transparency and disclosure the amounts of those materials to some people (you can read all the other threads on this website and see that people are concerned greatly about the actual content) would be considered vital to back up your claims.

Kind of like how when a company says their latex is blended, lets say they claim 30% Natural content and 70% synthetic.  They are usually referring to the polymer content, because of residual agents left in the foam I agree that even saying the product 30% natural is some what off the mark, in reality it could be 20~25% natural.  Really kind of hard to tell without actually testing the product thoroughly, which no consumer has the ability to do.  But at least in this scenario we do know the ratio of the polymer content which is probably the most important aspect. 

What is the actual polymer content in your 'natural latex' cores, and your 'natural memory foam' top layers?  ie; how much actual Styrene Butadiene is used vs natural rubber content?  Because in contradiction to your last post you mention in several place on your website that your latex cores are 100% natural and yet list styrene butadiene as a component as well.
Reply #34 Jan 27, 2010 8:21 PM

Quantities is something you won’t find latex foamers disclosing as it’s the secret to their formulation. This is why  there are only a handful or so of us worldwide.

To label latex foam as 100% natural you need to have more than 85% natural content in your foam, which both our natural Dunlop latex and our natural memory foam do.

Let me know if anything.

Reply #35 Jan 27, 2010 8:50 PM
here is the beautiful thing about 3rd party certification.  http://greensleep.ca/pdf/rubber.pdf

this is an actual test sheet proving in this particular suppliers latex foam sample that there is zero styrene butadiene content.  and that based on their criteria for something to get certified as natural rubber would have to be less than 5% filler and 5% styrene butadiene.  in other words at least 90% puritiy, although in this case this company is really somewhere around 95%.  There is no 'secret' to the formula any of these companies use, they all use the same basic stabilization chemicals during transport (ammonia, sometimes naturally derived), and vulcanizing agents (ash, and zinc oxide).  This company fits my description of 100% natural rubber, primarily the absence of styrene butadiene, pending residual foaming agents this is the purest possible rubber you can get.

Please don't tell me you meant that there are only a handful of latex foam makers in the world in any literal way?  If by handful you mean like a dozen handfuls or more then sure, I agree with you.
Reply #36 Jan 27, 2010 10:57 PM
Hi All, Just want to let Mich know that I did get a chance to try the Essenia mattress at a Costco in Canada ... and while it was priced well ... I found it uncomfortable. At 6'5" and 210 lbs, I hit the bottom when sitting down into it and it didn't provide me with any support. My wife liked it ... but it wasn't a good choice for me. Of course, everyone needs to try a mattress and it is a very individualistic decision but it just didn't work for me. Too bad, I remember waiting until it came to the Costco closest to me and excited about trying it out. Here is a listing from Google.com when I typed in Essentia and Costco ... to back up my efforts. http://www.myessentia.com/blog/tag/memory-foam/
Reply #37 Jan 28, 2010 1:52 AM
Mitch, if the Essentia mattress is a viable choice for you based on your location, you might want to see what firmnesses they offer before you reject it out of hand.  The mattress you tried was undoubtably too soft.  You probably need a much firmer latex, and perhaps Essentia makes their mattresses in firmer variations.  I know I am tall and heavy, and my latex mattress is very firm - about 9" of 36 ILD with a 2" soft convoluted topper.  I do not bottom out on this mattress, and get the proper comfort and support.

Recent Posts