DIY Tempurpedic or which clone is best?
May 15, 2011 2:54 PM
I've been researching beds off and on for a while now, and am really ready to buy something but it is very confusing. Every time I think I have figured out what to buy I read something negative about my choice and feel like I'm back to square one. I know that most people on here seem to prefer latex but I really like memory foam and would like to either build my own Tempurpedic or buy one of the look-alikes already put together. I was looking at Restava and was going to go with one of theirs but then I read somewhere that they are some other company renamed, and evidently the other company had a lot of complaints. But on Facebook they look okay....so I don't know. I was even thinking of bedinabox.com but then read negative reviews about them and I'm suspicious of all their postive feedback, not sure it is real (probably not).

So then I thought well I'll make my own with some poly foam, maybe 6 inches, and then maybe 1 inch of latex and maybe 3 inches of memory foam (based on a post here). As far as the Tempur beds I have tried them in the store and I like the Deluxe but loved the Cloud Supreme and Cloud Luxe in the shop (but maybe too soft?), and thought maybe the best bet was the Allura.

So please, can anyone tell me if any of the knock-off companies that make similar beds to TP are any good? And if not, is my best bet the DIY route? I simpy don't want to pay $4000+ for a bed because I know there are much cheaper alternatives.

Thanks!

Re: DIY Tempurpedic or which clone is best?
Reply #2 May 16, 2011 4:05 PM
I am a mostly back sleeper/occasional side, and my husband is a side/back sleeper. I am 5'4" about 150 and hubby is 5'10", around 180. 

I am thinking of going with one of the Restava beds now just to get something. What I have is a very old spring mattress, Serta or something, has to be at least 10 years old or more, with a similarly old/maybe not quite as old 4-inch Overstock.com memory foam topper that has no memory left in it anymore. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that just about anything has to be better than my current setup. They seem to have good reviews on their Facebook page if they are real. 

Reply #3 May 17, 2011 7:05 PM
Join the club, Terrieb! My spring mattress is older than yours! Anyway, I don't know about the Restava reviews on Facebook (I'm one of only 2 people I know of in the USA who won't sign up) but I can tell you that the Restava reviews on this site appear to be plants. Check out the registrations, the instant rave reviews, and then nothing further from those posters. If they do it here, why not on Facebook, too, with all that additional free exposure?

Well, just a word to the wise from the increasingly sceptically yours,

Wee Willy Winky

Reply #4 May 17, 2011 7:28 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

Join the club, Terrieb! My spring mattress is older than yours! Anyway, I don't know about the Restava reviews on Facebook (I'm one of only 2 people I know of in the USA who won't sign up) but I can tell you that the Restava reviews on this site appear to be plants. Check out the registrations, the instant rave reviews, and then nothing further from those posters. If they do it here, why not on Facebook, too, with all that additional free exposure?

Wee Willy Winky

I agree that it is good to be sceptical of such reviews even on this forum.  I'm suspicious too.

Reply #5 May 18, 2011 12:25 AM
weewillywinky wrote:

Wee Willy Winky

I'm not on Facebook either, not really in any meaningful way, just an account that I made that I can use to log in with when necessary at different sites. I don't even know how to use Facebook actually, and I am not technically challenged at all. As a matter of fact I practically live online and even build my own websites, but I continue to resist Facebook! 

Well, anyway, I am skeptical of all reviews these days as I am well aware they can be bought and paid for with numerous accounts. I even just noticed that on Restava's website reviews, two of them share an exact same paragraph. So they are evidently fake. Does that mean their products are no good? No, but it does mean they are less than honest as a company. And not very detail oriented either to let that slip by. 

Oh, the dilemma. I guess I will head out to one of the local stores here tomorrow and check out mattresses. Maybe I will give latex a chance. I've always really liked memory foam but who knows! :o)

Reply #6 May 18, 2011 12:59 AM
Make sure you try out some innerspring mattresses as well.  I really liked the Tempur when I tried it.  But since then I have decided to try something different for the following reasons:

- Tempur is nasty chemicals and I'm not sure I want to breathe it for the next 20 years; you can purchase eco-friendly latex

- Tempur is expensive; latex is in the same price range

- Many people fine Tempur sleeps too hot (I already have issues with this and I don't have foam)

- With memory foam you sink in quite a bit.  I toss and turn ("rotisserie") and am worried how easy it is to "rotiss"

- latex will probably last as long as Tempur

I found the web sites for Tempur clones to be just as confusing and lacking in information as some of the no-name latex sites.

But in either case the story seems to be US produced foam products are superior to "cheap imports".

You don't mention your budget.  But if you like the feel of latex, there are good choices that are in the $2k range that are not DIY beds.  There was a post that had a long list of latex stores (online and B&M) in the past six months.  It's a good place to start.

Reply #7 May 18, 2011 1:45 AM
Yep, I've been reading just last night and today about the dangers of the chemicals in the memory foam. Probably not a good idea. I am looking to spend in between 1k and 2k probably. A little more if necessary. Once I figure out what I want (seems to be a common problem here).

The mattress store I'm going to try tomorrow has Pure Latex Bliss and also Scandinavian Sleep Systems, the usual "S" companies, and a few others. I hope the salespeople don't hover like car salespeople! 

Reply #8 May 18, 2011 8:13 AM
Sounds like your're one of the lucky ones who can test different mattresses at local stores; that is a good thing. Remember, what works for others may not neccessarily work for you. Some choose latex over memory foam, for their own reasons, and others choice memory foam over latex for their own reasons as well.
Reply #9 May 18, 2011 6:23 PM
The problem is that the inexpensive choices boil down to purchasing online and that's a crap shoot.  I'm not sure how exact the determination of ILD is.  There may be variation in foam from one vendor (or even one batch) to another.  And then there are other factors like how thick is the wool on top, what kind of boxspring, etc.  Mattress feel is very subjective and everyone has personal preference.  But you can still learn a lot from the people on this forum.

I found this site, /http://www.healthyfoundations.com/, which has knockoff memory foam.  But I don't know anything about the product they are selling.  Thave lots of reviews on shopping.com, but I'm not sure how easy those are to fake.

You'll find negative reviews about any company.  Even highly rated products on Amazon or Yelp have negative reivews.  It's the fraction of negative reviews and what people say that is important.

Good luck with your mattress shopping.

Reply #10 May 18, 2011 8:44 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

The problem is that the inexpensive choices boil down to purchasing online and that's a crap shoot.  I'm not sure how exact the determination of ILD is.  There may be variation in foam from one vendor (or even one batch) to another.  And then there are other factors like how thick is the wool on top, what kind of boxspring, etc.  Mattress feel is very subjective and everyone has personal preference.  But you can still learn a lot from the people on this forum.

I found this site, /http://www.healthyfoundations.com/, which has knockoff memory foam.  But I don't know anything about the product they are selling.  Thave lots of reviews on shopping.com, but I'm not sure how easy those are to fake.

You'll find negative reviews about any company.  Even highly rated products on Amazon or Yelp have negative reivews.  It's the fraction of negative reviews and what people say that is important.

Good luck with your mattress shopping.

Well put.

Reply #11 May 19, 2011 3:25 PM
Remember that Density has a huge impact on the quality of a memory foam mattress. I dont know if you all realize this but Tempur's new line which is the Cloud line and the newer technology in it has improved the problem with sleeping warm or hot. So now, you dont have to worry about sleeping warmer. I would stay away from knock off's of Tempur. Tempur offers a great warranty 20 year with 10 year fully replacement for year 11 thru 20 is pro-rated. Also, another memory foam mattress that is pretty awesome is Serta's new IComfort series. The new IComfort has 25 year warranty with 15 fully replacement. The IComfort is 70% memory foam with 30% Gel. Just my 2cents.

Recent Posts