DIY Tempurpedic or which clone is best?
May 15, 2011 2:54 PM
I've been researching beds off and on for a while now, and am really ready to buy something but it is very confusing. Every time I think I have figured out what to buy I read something negative about my choice and feel like I'm back to square one. I know that most people on here seem to prefer latex but I really like memory foam and would like to either build my own Tempurpedic or buy one of the look-alikes already put together. I was looking at Restava and was going to go with one of theirs but then I read somewhere that they are some other company renamed, and evidently the other company had a lot of complaints. But on Facebook they look okay....so I don't know. I was even thinking of bedinabox.com but then read negative reviews about them and I'm suspicious of all their postive feedback, not sure it is real (probably not).

So then I thought well I'll make my own with some poly foam, maybe 6 inches, and then maybe 1 inch of latex and maybe 3 inches of memory foam (based on a post here). As far as the Tempur beds I have tried them in the store and I like the Deluxe but loved the Cloud Supreme and Cloud Luxe in the shop (but maybe too soft?), and thought maybe the best bet was the Allura.

So please, can anyone tell me if any of the knock-off companies that make similar beds to TP are any good? And if not, is my best bet the DIY route? I simpy don't want to pay $4000+ for a bed because I know there are much cheaper alternatives.

Thanks!

Re: DIY Tempurpedic or which clone is best?
Reply #12 Apr 17, 2012 10:24 AM
It looks like a lot has changed since this thread was started: Restava's FB page is pretty active with new reviews. Did the OP end up buying one of their mattresses? Thoughts?
Reply #13 Aug 22, 2012 4:47 PM
Beware of Restava; it is a scam.  I bought one and now feel duty bound to warn others from purchasing from this company.

I was sucked in by their 4th of July sale and their comparison to Tempurpedic (expensive, high quality beds).  The 4th of July sale never ends.  It is now called any size - twin price sale.  You will notice that there are no prices on their site for twin or queen size beds.  That's because their sale isn't a sale at all.  It is just a scam to get people to rush to buy.  The sale deadline is extended every week.  Don't be fooled by their mattresses either.  They ARE NOT memory foam and other than being rectangles they are in no way similar to Tempurpedic mattresses.  They are the same foam as you find in a cheap couch cushion.  Your back will hurt and you will wake up sweaty severals times each night.

If you are foolish enough to buy a mattress from them at least don't buy the $400 foundation.  It is the cheapest, unsturdiest crap money can buy.  It and their frame are flimsy and rock back and forth whenever you move.  Avoid their memory foam pillows like the plague.  They aren't memory foam; in fact they are almost transparent.  They are made of the cheapest foam available and they reek of chemicals.  After a month (when I returned it)  the smell was still as strong as the first day.

They did return my money thankfully.  I bought a memory foam mattress and frame online from Sam's Club for half the price.  It is far, far better than the garbage Restava sent me.

Restava has a brillant yet dishonest business plan.  They polish their website and Facebook page and are quick to do damage control (on Facebook) to give you the impression that their product is actually similar to Tempurpedic.  I'm convinced that most of the reviews on their website, Facebook and other sites are written by the same Restava employee.  Look at the sentence structure and over zeal in every post.  They are pros at this game and must be making a killing on their low quality products.

Avoid the hassle of getting your money back and just purchase a real bed from just about any other vendor.

Reply #14 Aug 22, 2012 5:39 PM
Hi.. Listen to what everyone has to say and believe NOTHING...>>  all personal preference is what it adds up to be.. I caution you with memory foam it will fail you within a short time.. if you are looking for  support and don't mind sinking in and crawling out, and looking for that support they claim is in there all night,  then I guess it's the bed for you.. I have had every bed imaginable and have been taken for some outrageous amts. of money.. I am here to tell you that no matter what research you do you can come up with a bed that isn't worth the paper you signed your name on to buy it.   Memory verses Latex.. it is latex all the way, but a true latex, not one of these beds that they tell you has multiple layers of this and that and a cooling gel etc. etc.. I have been there done that.. talk about not getting your money's worth.. ugh!!!  Some of the good coil beds out there today have wonderful strong coils along with good durable latex on top..investigate these.. If you can get a really good solid latex that is really latex it would be your best bet.. however remember one thing.. this bed is a beast to turn and if they tell you that you never need to turn it.. laugh in their faces and walk out.. YOU do need to turn them especially in the beginning to condition them...1/4 turn is best. every month in the beginning.. however you will need 3 good strong men.. biggest mistake of our lives when we bought that one.. omg.. and then it was defective after 1 and 1/2 years..thats when I bought the worst bed ever.. memory foam.. beyond terrible.. and mine was a very expensive one, it sits in my guest room...now I have bought a cheaper mattress than all of them put together..and an inferior brand, and it is a coil // firm with some nice stitching and good cushioning on top, and knock on wood this was 1/4th the cost of any of the others has been a nice comfortable bed, especially for the money and my body at last..  Be a smart shopper because these beds are not cheap.. the salespeople will prey on you and will say anything it takes to make you open your check book...this is a major purchase that effects your body for a long time, take the time and talk to many people that you know.. not the internet to find out what they are sleeping on...evaluate your needs and your pocketbook to understand if you are stuck with it after you hate it can you live with that..!!!   I hate the mattress industry for what they have done to the consumer, they have confused us, demanded that we should only choose memory foam or latex, and they have the right to charge so much money for a terrible product.   Good luck and don't be taken to the cleaners, I have been there and it isn't any fun...Pleasant Dreams..
Reply #15 Aug 22, 2012 7:44 PM
Well, I truly feel sorry for some people.  Had every bed imaginable, and nothing still works.  I'm one of the lucky ones that shelled out the big bucks for an exspensive Tempurpedic that has worked out great.  It absolutely blows my previous latex mattress away in terms of pressure relief and support.  Sorry to be the one that goes against the pro latex crowd.  Nothing against latex, but the Tempur is superior in every way.  It is in like new condition after 4 years (or is it 3?).  It doesn't matter.  This mattress is not failing anytime soon.  However, I'm 150lbs.  I'm concerned about people's weight having to do with premature bed failure.

There are a lot of knockoff Tempurpedics.  Good luck.  By the time I figured out the the best simularities, I'm probably at the same price and a lot of time. My time is worth money.

Lying sales people.  Fortunately, I bought mine from a small local company with 15 years experience with them.  No lies.  Just realistic excpectations.  Something like; these aren't miracle beds; they won't cure cancer; they won't shed pounds; they won't take care of something that needs surgery; etc.  People expect miracles, then are dissapointed when they don't get them.  Get real.  

There have been people on here for years trying to mimic something or get the right combination of this or that. Better them than me I guess.  Maybe it's fun.  Not me.

Good luck.

This message was modified Aug 22, 2012 by Good_Sleep
Reply #16 Aug 23, 2012 2:27 PM
Good Sleep.. you are very lucky indeed.. I have some friends and others like me who had the memory foam and it took it's toll on our bodies..do you have one of the extra firm ones..I have a good friend that had paid 4500 + for hers.. and she had it replaced twice by Tempupedic for defects and then she finally gave up as she had more body pain and no good sleep at all.   I gave up on mine because of severe hip pain and mine was a med. firm.. it took me a few months to realize my bed was contributing to my pain, however once it was gone the pain subsided.  They are not for everyone and if we all liked the same beds the entire industry would be in big trouble.   I do honestly think the latex beds.. that is a true latex bed is better for support.   They just have so many out there for the consumer to make a good choice for their dollar it is virtually impossible unless you are lucky to have picked the right one.   I just became so frustrated with the return policies and the ignorant store salespeople who don't know their you know what from a hill of beans and yet they work there and give false information to consumers looking for answers to what is the right bed for them.   Trial and error with the amt. of money that you pay for a mattress today and then fall victim to the store for return or comfort exchange as they put it.. and they have nothing for you to choose from in that price range is just highway robbery.   The mattress manufacturer has now put most of it's return to the store owners and they have their own set of rules..so damn be the consumer..  Yes you are a lucky one to have had this mattress for x amt. of years and NO problems..I just feel to someone who asks about what is a good or bad choice they need to know there is much homework on their end before they open up their checkbook and make a purchase that they will not live to regret..  I do think there should be some regulations placed on this mattress industry to protect the consumer..primarily educate these sales people and owners of mattress companies that sell to the public.. sorry to say but there are a few idiots out there that trust these people to give them the righ info..a bed is your space for rest and sleep to make a happy you for the day to follow...given what I hear on these forums.. I swear it is ridiculous what lengths people go to for a good nights sleep.. I say keep looking and never buy a bed you didn't try out first .. Much luck to everyone out there searching for the perfect sleeper..!!!
Reply #17 Aug 23, 2012 2:52 PM
Yes, that's real odd about the number of bad Tempurpedics.  I know at least a dozen people (Some very big framed people at that) in which the Tempurpedic is the only bed that has held up for a very long time.  Some have had them going on 15 years; they say look and feel the same as they did when they first got them (Hard for me to believe, since I know they are firm when you get them). Mine will be the same.  I doubt it will just up and fail me all the sudden.

I have the Allura on the adjustable base.  So it does get a work out.  We use it for reading, laptop, etc.  My latex didn't hold up as well on the adjustable base.  It got real soft and sank in big time when in the sitting position.  

So yes, I scratch my head when I hear of Tempurpedic failing in short order.  I only hear about it on the internet.  I know of no one who has had it fail.  Even my local retailer says it is very, very uncommon.  And usually it's people assuming the conditioning of the mattress is mattress failure. Or improper foundation or frame. This usually is a result of a retailer not presenting expectations of these beds.

Reply #18 Aug 24, 2012 10:12 AM
Good Sleep.. I think you answered it right there.. the conditioning of the bed is different to each of us..the failure of mine and some other's that have kept them but keep getting new ones under warranty.. is the fact that once the body gets into the groove so to speak it no longer gives the support.. it's almost like it remembers where you sleep each night and the sinking keeps sinking much like quick sand to me.   I hated mine and once in a while when I have insomnia will leave the bed I am on and resort to the guest room where it is not to wake my husband with all my tossing and turning..but once on that bed it is a battle to even stay there a few hours.. back starts hurting, my neck feels out of sorts and then I finally give up to the sofa.. it isn't worth any of my time.. just turned out to be a money drain is all..  Good luck with yours.. I guess it's the luck of the draw.. Happy dreams..
Reply #19 Aug 30, 2012 9:14 PM
hmm 
This message was modified Aug 30, 2012 by joeb
Reply #20 Sep 23, 2012 2:31 AM
Just stopping by and I see that my old post from last year has been revived. No, I did not purchase a Restava bed, we ended up buying an Englander memory foam bed. I have honestly hated this bed since then, it was way too firm and has remained so. In the interim over the past year+ we have purchased a softer 2-1/2-inch memory foam topper and I have also added a featherbed from The Company Store, really all to no avail. This bed may be just fine for those who like a pretty firm bed, but it's not for me. Anyway I just placed an order for a Saatva mattress today because I really don't want any more 100% foam mattresses at the moment, whether memory or latex. So if anyone is interested, I will post my thoughts on it when it arrives. 

On a humorous note, my mom just bought a new mattress from the Original Mattress Factory. They informed her she now holds "the prize" for having the oldest mattresss. How long has she had her current innerspring mattress (made by Bassett)? 38 years. 

Reply #21 Oct 13, 2012 4:14 PM
JodyGardener,

Your claim that their mattresses don't contain memory foam can easily be refuted by checking with their supplier, Certipur. I don't see any cheap couch cushion manufacturers on the Certipur "find products containing" page. 

Your claim about the memory foam pillows are also false according to the Certipur supplier, who clearly states on their home page that their foam is low VOC.

Two false claims, plus a username meant to make people think you're a woman when the name you signed up under is Matt. You don't seem like a very trustworthy critic. Which mattress company do you work for?

This message was modified Oct 13, 2012 by RCB3

Recent Posts