Cut open my Sealy and now its sleeping pretty darn good!
Aug 28, 2008 11:31 PM

My wife and I have been sleeping on a Sealy king mattress that we bought about 6 years ago.  It's nothing fancy, just a firm, non-pillowtop, flippable mattress (but IIRC it was promoted as flipping "optional").  Though I spent $1000 for this no-frills mattress, I thought I was making an investment in something that would last for 10 years, just like the 'warranty' said.  We flipped it a few times a year whenever we'd think about it, just to be on the safe side.  For probably at least a year now we haven't been sleeping all that well.  The usual: waking up, tossing, shifting positions often, arise in the morning with minor aches etc.  My wife's been really having it worse.  We thought it was due to her working as a dental hygienist and her pregnancy last year.

So, about a month ago we each had the opportunity to sleep alone in the bed, due to each of us traveling on separate occasions.  We came to the conclusion that sleeping in the middle was a huge improvement.  We never really thought much about the body impressions before.  After all, I'm 165 lbs and she is 125... not exactly your average overweight folks.  So I ended up ordering a 3" memory foam topper from Overstock.com for about $135.  I think its supposed to be 4# foam.  We got the foam, and its pretty decent memory foam I guess.  We put it on and then put the fitted sheet over it and went to bed.  Neither of us liked the feel of the memory foam right underneath us, but we gave it a few days.  Then, I put a mattress pad (the kind with polyfill and an elastic skirt all the way around) on top of the memory foam then the fitted sheet on that.  That was better.  However, after about a week of this we came to the conclusion that this made the hammocking worse.  This dashed my hopes of the topper hiding the body impressions.  After the initial novelty of the memory foam had worn off, we think we were actually sleeping worse.  But yet again, sleeping in the middle wasn't bad at all.

So, in disgust and desperation I started scouring the internet.  I guess when I poured over the mattress warranty I knew I was doomed.  I used a long straight edge to measure the body impressions and they were only about 1/2" so I was out of luck -- 1.5" minimum.  My search led me to this forum, which I've spent the last few weeks searching and reading.  Fantastic information.  So convinced I had nothing to lose and armed with courage obtained from reading other's forum posts, I cut the stitching off of 3 sides of the mattress, and opened that sucker up.  On top was about a 3/4" polyurethane (PU) foam eggcrate (convoluted) layer, then beneath that was a super thin 1/2" solid PU layer, then pressed shredded fiber looking blanket over the box springs.  I removed all of the PU foam and checked it out.  I was a little disappointed -- it didn't look as bad as I expected.  I was hoping to see a complete pancake at the butt and back spots.  There is a tinge of an impression, but not much.  So, just to experiment, I put the 3" memory foam over the fiber blanket and folded the mattress ticking back over it.  Since the 3" memory foam was considerably thicker, I had to coax the ticking back on.  I ended up stitching it with thread in a few spots to keep it in place.  I put the mattress pad over that, and then the fitted sheet.  OK!  Now we were getting somewhere.  This was a definite improvement.  We slept on that for about a week.  My wife went from "we must buy a new mattress this weekend!" to "the mattress is pretty good now".  In fact, her complaint now is that she can't get out of bed in the morning.

However, there was still a definite firmness difference between the center and my side, and I was still waking up a few times having to shift positions and move around because my back was stiff.  So, it looks like the inner springs are shot.  At one point before cutting open the mattress we pulled it off the box springs and put it directly on the floor to see if the hammocking improved.  It didn't, so I concluded that the mattress itself was sagging and it wasn't a boxspring problem.  This amazes me with our weight that we wore out a 10 year rated innerspring in about 5 years.

So the other night I got a wild idea and pulled a burlap-like Mexican-style blanket we have out of the closet and folded it a few times lengthwise.  I then placed the blanket underneath the mattress but on top of the box springs in the approximate area where I lay and where the body impression is most pronounced.  I got in bed, laid there for a bit, then adjusted the blanket.  After about 3 iterations it felt like the bed wasn't hammocking.  So, I went to sleep.  PERFECT!  I woke up feeling like a million bucks.  I've had 2 nights of sleep on this configuration and I am extremely happy.

Though I'm happy with how the mattress is sleeping right now with my jury-rigged configuration, I've been bitten by the bug and now I intend to build my own foam mattress.  I'm planning on using FoamByMail (FMB).  We are thinking about using latex for the upper layers.  So far this forum hasn't steered me wrong, and now I'm feeling more adventurous.  The quest begins!  I'll probably stitch up the mattress at some point, shouldn't be too bad, and put it in the guest room as an upgrade over the queen that's in there.

So to anyone out there even remotely considering cutting open the mattress -- I say GO FOR IT!  It's not a big freakin' deal and I think you have a very high chance of improving the comfort, even if its just with a cheap topper from Overstock to replace the compacted PU foam. 

This message was modified Aug 28, 2008 by LatencyMachine
Re: Cut open my Sealy and now its sleeping pretty darn good!
Reply #14 Sep 11, 2008 3:29 PM
I do believe that is exactly what I need to do!  I do NOT want to buy another bed and trash this one.  I've returned TWO Restonics and gave away a 3 1/2 month old  Stearns and Foster in the last year alone.  Before that I gave away a nearly new latex mattress and a Select Comfort(to the kids, at least).  Ridiculous.  I'm at a point that if somebody sells me another new, expensive mattress that doesn't work, I'm going to see red! 
I just looked up your bedmaker...I used to live in Santa Cruz!   How fun!  Figures that a really good bedmaker would be there, LOL!  I'll have to take a road trip.
The reason I think it is the springs is that is the only part of this bed I haven't changed out.  Also, I have had good nights sleep on spring mattresses when I've been out of town.  In Colorado recently I slept on a Sealy Crown Jewel mattress which healed my back in two nights.  That mattress was five years old!  Lately I slept on another Sealy(or possibly Serta, one of the S's) mattress with springss, and box springs also with springs...my husband and I both liked the feel.  I checked the labels and the mattress was '05 and the box springs was '04, so not new.   I think that whatever springs they use are the best for me! 
Thanks for your help.
Kait
This message was modified Sep 11, 2008 by Kait
Reply #15 Sep 12, 2008 6:21 AM
You're on the right track. No doubt the problem is the pocket coil spring unit. Pocket coils contour to your body and provide a support level similar to latex. And that didn't work for you either. Your back will probably improve on an innerspring unit that provides rigid support to your hips and lumbar region. This is why you felt better after a few nights on an other kind of innerspring mattress.

Bonnel springs are the oldest form of innerspring. Luraflex is a more modern adaptation. Both units will provide good rigid support for your problem areas. For those of us with certain kinds of back issues nothing is better than a good old fashion innerspring mattress--with the addition of individually customized toppers. Just remember, the less foam of any kind you can put over the springs and still be comfortable the better for your back. The more foam you put over the springs the more you compromise the quality of support.

Reply #16 Sep 13, 2008 4:56 PM
Amen to that.   I make saddles and saddle pads, and have learned a great deal about foam in the last ten years.  One thing  I learned early on was that foam dies.  It may look perfect, and feel fine to the hand, but it loses its rebound effect.  Every time foam is compressed some of the little air bubbles inside break and the foam loses some of its life.  It is very important to saddle pads... and beds!
When I got down to the springs(Marshall unit) and just the 2" of PU foam over it and I was still sore in my lumbar area...and my hips hurt....that was when I realized that foam was only part of the problem(difficult to figure out exactly how much of what to use...not cheap for a CA King!) and the springs weren't supportive enough.
The thing that makes me hesitate about getting a new bed(but my daughter is first in line for this one....she's 21 and sleeps just fine on it) is that the most local bed maker uses Bonnell springs, which according to a study done by the Utah State University  the Bonnell springs are the cheapest.  Does that mean not quality?  Not sure.
What I want to do is figure out what springs are in the beds that I've used and liked, and find a NEW bed with those, limited foam on top, zippered cover, and get that.  I liked  the Sealy Crown Jewel(made about 5 years ago)which healed my back pain in two nights when I slept on it in Denver.  I wonder what springs that had?
My bed guy and my husband both said that tempering steel makes it more brittle and last less time.  So much information seems to contradict itself.    My local bedmaker uses non-tempered Bonnell springs(made in Germany, if that makes any difference).  Oh, AND a new King is about $1900. 
Still wading through the info...any other info your bed guy has to shed light on this?  I called day before yesterday and spoke with a guy who worked there.  He seemed somewhat disinterested in answering my questions, told me to call back yesterday and speak to the owner, but I had no time then.
Kait
Reply #17 Sep 14, 2008 5:07 AM
I tend to think you're right since I had that similar issue with the Marshall coils I slept on. My lower back is what bothered me the most. I felt like the springs were just not holding me up. My mattress guy tried a couple of other things to no avail, until he decided it just had to be the springs. He was right. LuraFlex still helps with decreased motion as do the pocketed coils. But they just feel stronger and more supportive under my back. Even when I took off my latex/foam layers and put my hands on the coils, they just seem to "give" too much. The wire gauge is just too thin for me.

One thing though. I slept one on a Westin Heavenly Bed which is a Simmons Beautyrest with those pocketed coils and LOVED IT! Now I'm not sure because it was just one night, or if the bedding was nicer than some hotels. Or it could have been that I was just exhausted from walking all over Seattle! :) Either way, I was never tempted to buy one of those mattresses.

Funny that you used to live in Santa Cruz! I was born and raised here. The mattress guy has lived here almost all his life. I hope he keeps his store open for a long time to come! Take that road trip and come and check out their beds!

Kait wrote:
I do believe that is exactly what I need to do! I do NOT want to buy another bed and trash this one. I've returned TWO Restonics and gave away a 3 1/2 month old Stearns and Foster in the last year alone. Before that I gave away a nearly new latex mattress and a Select Comfort(to the kids, at least). Ridiculous. I'm at a point that if somebody sells me another new, expensive mattress that doesn't work, I'm going to see red!
I just looked up your bedmaker...I used to live in Santa Cruz! How fun! Figures that a really good bedmaker would be there, LOL! I'll have to take a road trip.
The reason I think it is the springs is that is the only part of this bed I haven't changed out. Also, I have had good nights sleep on spring mattresses when I've been out of town. In Colorado recently I slept on a Sealy Crown Jewel mattress which healed my back in two nights. That mattress was five years old! Lately I slept on another Sealy(or possibly Serta, one of the S's) mattress with springss, and box springs also with springs...my husband and I both liked the feel. I checked the labels and the mattress was '05 and the box springs was '04, so not new. I think that whatever springs they use are the best for me!
Thanks for your help.
Kait
This message was modified Sep 14, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #18 Sep 30, 2008 10:34 AM
I recently bought 2 sealy beds for my home and sleeping has become my number one hobby.... No seriously, they are the very essence of comfort and I recommend all to choose sealy beds for their next purchase....

This message was modified Sep 30, 2008 by Wiseness
Reply #19 Sep 30, 2008 7:13 PM
I'm glad they're working out for you. But, I, personally, wouldn't recommend that all of us go out and purchase one for their next mattress choice. My last one was a Sealy before this and the cheap foams inside began to sag and cause lower back pain. I had a SUPER firm Sealy years ago and had to get rid of it because it was so painfully hard. I'm just glad I bought the mattress I now have. I love being able to unzip it.

Good luck with your Sealy. I hope you don't have a lot of built-in padding.

Wiseness wrote:
I recently bought 2 sealy beds for my home and sleeping has become my number one hobby.... No seriously, they are the very essence of comfort and I recommend all to choose sealy beds for their next purchase....<BR><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" width="180" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 135pt;"><col width="180" style="width: 135pt;"></col><tbody><tr height="20" style="height: 15pt;"> <td height="20" width="180" style="height: 15pt; width: 135pt;"><br type="_moz"/></td> </tr></tbody></table>
Reply #20 Sep 30, 2008 7:23 PM
Beddy Bye,

What type of bed are you sleeping on?

I live in Toronto, Ontario and most of the latex mattresses built/made in Canada or USA are very expensive .... I have been looking into ordering something from SleepEZ as a lot of people on this site have had great success with ordering split mattresses ...

Thanks.

Recent Posts