Brainstorm - Mattress for Murphy Bed
Dec 26, 2012 12:49 PM
Greetings all,

I need to configure a mattress for a king size murphy bed (76"x80"). The mattress can weigh no more than 90 pounds and must be less than 10" thick. I love foam mattresses, but they tend towards the heavy side. One formulation that just squeaks by is:

Base 4", 2.8 lb HD36-HQ Foam - 40 lbs 

Topper 3", 5lb Memory Foam - 53 lbs

Would this be too thin? Bases seem to be a minimum of 5" thick. Should I scrap the full foam and look for innerspring/foam mix? Any suggestions on a brand?

Best,

P

Re: Brainstorm - Mattress for Murphy Bed
Reply #1 Dec 26, 2012 12:52 PM
Oh, another issue with foam and murphy beds that I read in the forum is that since they have no structure, they tend to sag in the upright position. Any thoughts on how to avoid that? Special Mattress case?
Reply #2 Oct 1, 2014 9:07 AM
For Murphy Bed you always have to use proper Mattress.
This message was modified Oct 1, 2014 by a moderator
Reply #3 Oct 2, 2014 3:54 PM
pleistocene.  Very old post here so you probably have it figured out.  If you are hemmed in by weight but love foam your configuration looks good to me.  4" vs 5" for the base should not be noticeable.  mattdud

Quote:

Greetings all,

I need to configure a mattress for a king size murphy bed (76"x80"). The mattress can weigh no more than 90 pounds and must be less than 10" thick. I love foam mattresses, but they tend towards the heavy side. One formulation that just squeaks by is:

Base 4", 2.8 lb HD36-HQ Foam - 40 lbs 

Topper 3", 5lb Memory Foam - 53 lbs

Would this be too thin? Bases seem to be a minimum of 5" thick. Should I scrap the full foam and look for innerspring/foam mix? Any suggestions on a brand?

Best,

P

Recent Posts