Body Depressions - Latex vs. Coil Spring Bed
Feb 20, 2008 8:48 PM
Give the core material, will a latex bed show body depressions as fast, slower or none at all when compared to a coil spring bed ?

I've been looking at different beds out of them, I've narrowed it down to a S&F/Sealy Latex Matrress or a McRoskey.
Did not like the feel of any of the foams at all. 
Re: Body Depressions - Latex vs. Coil Spring Bed
Reply #1 Feb 20, 2008 10:46 PM
It's not really the coil system that contributes to body depressions you see on the mattresses made by the Big S companies. It's the the cheap foams and fillers they use that goes OVER the coils.

I have latex AND coils and I don't expect to see too much in the way of body depressions for a long time to come. Sure, the zippered, quilted cover has some poly fil in the padding. That will show some body depressions over time. But, not too much.

Again, you just need to check what type of foams and batting are being used inside any mattress, with or without coils. You can be sure that there are a lot of cheap materials out there that will show body depressions quicker than you can say "Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite".

pingable wrote:
Give the core material, will a latex bed show body depressions as fast, slower or none at all when compared to a coil spring bed ?<BR><BR>I've been looking at different beds out of them, I've narrowed it down to a S&amp;F/Sealy Latex Matrress or a McRoskey.<BR>Did not like the feel of any of the foams at all. 
Reply #2 Feb 21, 2008 9:40 PM
Beddybye, You have a coil and latex mattress...can I ask which one and do you like it? How long have you had it? THanks!
Reply #3 Feb 21, 2008 10:49 PM
See my thread on dissecting my Sealy to get an idea of the foams they put over the springs.

Within that thread is a link to another page where you can see what is inside various other mattresses.

The springs are important but what is more important is the foams they use over the springs - and they all use foams; and most use cheap crappy foams.

But a bed with the least amount of foam and then add your own topper(s) of high quality foam(s).

Reply #4 Feb 22, 2008 1:43 AM
Hi Sabra,

I bought it from a local mattress shop:

http://www.baybed.com/

I've had it a year and four months. Dan's website doesn't show my exact mattress, but he had several on display in his store with various zippered covers and configurations of latex and/or foam inside. Of course, you could customize it however you want. I happened to choose the Elegance Firm. But, after sleeping on it for a short time, I decided to exchange my pocketed coils for a LuraFlex coil system. He also gave me two 32 ILD layers of latex to try. I bought two XL Twins. My husband's side is a bit firmer.

Anyway, for now it seems to be working fine! I had experimented with various latex toppers and feather/fiberbeds which only caused lower back pain.

Sabra wrote:
Beddybye, You have a coil and latex mattress...can I ask which one and do you like it? How long have you had it? THanks!
This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #5 Feb 22, 2008 7:54 AM
Beddybye, I checked out his site and emailed him about shipping to NC! I'll see what he says. Thanks for the info.
Reply #6 Feb 23, 2008 4:11 AM
Wow--you do live some distance away! I wonder if they ship. I also wonder how much it would be. By the way, if you don't hear back via e-mail soon, you might try giving them a call and ask for the owner, Dan. He told me once that he doesn't get to his e-mail too often. Maybe with the website he does. Also, wouldn't you want to try out a mattress first? It could get kind of expensive with the shipping if it didn't work out. Let me know how it goes!

Sabra wrote:
Beddybye, I checked out his site and emailed him about shipping to NC! I'll see what he says. Thanks for the info.
Reply #7 Feb 23, 2008 9:08 AM
As I've opined before, that's how all coil mattresses should be made/offered. My guess is that basic support system decision possibly could be made based on weight/body type/sleep position preference (though original choice apparently wasn't firm enough for BB). Further adjustments/fine tuning probably could be done through comfort layers. Not as much of a crapshoot as sealed systems. Here's a link for another custom mattress manufacturer only one time zone away. They can use latex, but are sealed systems: http://www.antiquemattress.com/. But, since NC is/was the furniture capital of the U.S., there may be shops in your neck of the woods doing the same thing as BB's California shop. And again, once you have a good idea of the coil system that works for you, have a mattress made with almost zero padding (nothing which will permanently compress) and a basic, non-padded cover. Then construct your own separate mini-mattress to form the comfort system, building up the layers until you're happy, then buying the cover to contain it. Corner straps will hold it in place. [Don't have preconceived notions about topper thickness. 2"-3" may be OK, but my custom zoned topper for side sleeping is 5"-6"].
Reply #8 Feb 23, 2008 11:01 AM
Thanks for absolutely wonderful info Mccldwll. I will check out the site. It's also good to know about your preferred thickness because I too am a side sleeper and will get aches and toss if the mattress isn't cushioned enought. It's quite an adventure isn't it?

Recent Posts