Best place to buy talalay latex topper?
Apr 14, 2009 2:52 PM
Hi,

Two questions re: talalay latex toppers please.
1.  I am going to purchase a topper for a queen sized bed.  In other forums I've seen Sleep Like a Bear highly recommended for their service (Evelyn there is very helpful) and for selling Latex International product; they charge $339. for a 3" inch queen topper.  In other forums, however, Foam By Mail is often recommended; their queen topper is $239.  Does anyone know who manufactures the FBM latex?  Is the Latex International topper provided by Sleep Like a Bear worth the extra $100?

2. I would appreciate advice on what thickness and ILD topper to purchase to place on top of our too-firm Sterns & Foster mattress.  I'm 5'10" and weigh 145 lbs, my wife is 5'6" and weighs 125 lbs.   I have chronic sacroiliac pain and get pressure points.  We tried a 2" 32 ILD topper which I liked but which made my wife's otherwise healthy back sore, and returned it.  We then bought a 2" 4lb Aerus memory foam topper.  Other than being hot, that worked well for a few months until it started cratering.  We're now thinking of going with a softer Talalay topper.  Evelyn at Sleep Like a Bear recommended a 3" 19 ILD topper, given that we're both light-framed.  Any thoughts from the wise users out there on her recommendation?  Will 19 ILD provide inadequate back support for me?

Thanks for any comments on these questions.
Re: Best place to buy talalay latex topper?
Reply #1 Apr 15, 2009 3:08 AM
I think 3" will provide enough support and relieve pressure.

$339 is pretty darn good price for their latex. I think the actual quality is fairly similar. The difference being slightly higher quality control with latex international. The overall product is probably fairly close. You are paying for the brand name. For example clothes, some brand name clothes I buy really do last longer than cheap clothes, but sometimes....even nice brands fall apart/logo comes off, seams come loose.  Is it worth the extra $100. I don't know for sure. It's up to you.

All I can tell you for sure is 3" of 20/19ILD latex is SOOO comfortable. I really wish I had bought thicker than 1" 19ILD. Honestly I was scared of it being too soft after reading posts here. I should have just gone with my first instinct.  19ILD latex just has this plush but supportive feeling I can't even describe.
This message was modified Apr 15, 2009 by Phalse
Reply #2 Apr 15, 2009 4:20 PM
Dear Phalse,

Many thanks for your reply and helpful information.  I'm reassured by your comments.

EB
Reply #3 Apr 16, 2009 9:06 PM
eb53,

I can't tell you what will work for you and your wife (I don't think anyone can, since it's so personal). But if you found something that works well for you (you said a 2" 32 ILD topper did), then why not get a half-queen size piece for your side of the bed? Trying to get 1 person comfortable at a time is a lot easier than figuring out something that will work for both of you.
Reply #4 Apr 16, 2009 10:06 PM
Thanks for the good advice Aaron.  Makes sense.
Reply #5 Apr 24, 2009 4:47 PM
So the FBM and Latex International are both Talalay?, that would have a softer feel than Dunlop? I just ordered 3" 12-14 ILD dunlop to see. returnable with a small charge/shipping.
Reply #6 Apr 26, 2009 6:12 AM
FBM is a merchant selling latex. Latex International is a manufacturer that supplies latex to merchants. LI makes both Talalay and Dunlop latex. No one really knows where FBM gets their latex since they are rather cagey about telling you. All the same, people have been pretty happy with the quick turn-around and the latex they have bought from FBM on this forum, so I wouldn't have any qualms about ordering from them.

The general concensus is that Talalay feels softer than Dunlop at the same ILD. It's airier and less dense. But make no mistake. A piece of 44 ILD Talalay is by no means soft. Some people think the floor feels softer.

Reply #7 Apr 28, 2009 1:57 PM
mingus wrote:
So the FBM and Latex International are both Talalay?, that would have a softer feel than Dunlop? I just ordered 3" 12-14 ILD dunlop to see. returnable with a small charge/shipping.

Mingus - Who did you order the 12-14 dunlop from? Please post after you get it and let us know how you like it. I am currently sleeping on 20 ILD talalay and still want something softer so I am thinking of ordering 14 ILD foam from somewhere...
Reply #8 Apr 28, 2009 8:13 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
2" #22 ILD is the most popular and for good reason. It works well for anyone under 200lbs. Go all natural talalay if you have the option. It's a little more but well worth the money. Usually around $250
Reply #9 May 5, 2009 2:46 AM
st3v3k4hn wrote:
Mingus - Who did you order the 12-14 dunlop from? Please post after you get it and let us know how you like it. I am currently sleeping on 20 ILD talalay and still want something softer so I am thinking of ordering 14 ILD foam from somewhere...

I ordered it from Fibex and had to send it back - it was firmer than the 16-18 ILD i got from sleepwarehouse. they will charge 25% restock, plus the $60 shipping. Must not be 12-14 ILD..

sleeplikeabear sent me samples of  14/19/24 ILD Talalay. trying to decide which way to go. i do not want to sink through and feel the firmer bottom, but do want soft. $400 for a 3" queen piece on latex??

FBM sent me a 1" piece of their "soft" and it seems too firm to me.
This message was modified May 5, 2009 by mingus
Reply #10 May 8, 2009 11:27 AM
st3v3k4hn wrote:

Any luck? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Confused.
Reply #11 May 10, 2009 1:05 AM
I ordered my  Queen Sized 1" soft Talalay Latex Topper from Brylane Homes and I have been very happy with it. The <1" thick Queen topper from Overstock was too small for my Queen bed and started to fall apart after moving it so much when I was trying out the latex core layers. 
Reply #12 May 10, 2009 1:21 AM
Phalse wrote:
I think 3" will provide enough support and relieve pressure.

$339 is pretty darn good price for their latex. I think the actual quality is fairly similar. The difference being slightly higher quality control with latex international. The overall product is probably fairly close. You are paying for the brand name. For example clothes, some brand name clothes I buy really do last longer than cheap clothes, but sometimes....even nice brands fall apart/logo comes off, seams come loose.  Is it worth the extra $100. I don't know for sure. It's up to you.

All I can tell you for sure is 3" of 20/19ILD latex is SOOO comfortable. I really wish I had bought thicker than 1" 19ILD. Honestly I was scared of it being too soft after reading posts here. I should have just gone with my first instinct.  19ILD latex just has this plush but supportive feeling I can't even describe.

Where did you get your 19 ILD? how heavy are you and do you side sleep? 

Still looking for the best place to buy. ratings do vary greatly, and if they charge a restock fee and shipping both ways to try,  it can get quite expensive.

sleeplikeabear did send me three 3" samples: 14/19/24. the 24 is similar to what i have, maybe just a tad softer. the 19 is very soft, i'm tempted to try that, but think i may go through it to the hard bottom latex mattress.

FBM sample of their soft was harder than i though it would be.

What are the best vendors to use?
Reply #13 Jan 4, 2010 10:01 AM
19 ILD Talatech is pretty close, I think i need more like 5" tho, well see...

mingus = 6' average build 183lbs. side sleeper at times.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2010 by mingus

Recent Posts