Best Organic Latex Mattress??
Jul 14, 2008 1:55 AM

Hi Everyone,

I think I over-researched and now am confused on which are the best natural latex beds (in my price-range). My ideal bed at this point is a triple-layered, 9” Dunlop set encased in a zippered organic wool & cotton cover. Below are some stores I've looked at along with some issues I have with them.  I think this list will help others who are searching, and I'm also hoping that anyone with latex bed experience will be able to offer their feedback and expertise.  Thank you!

1. Savvyrest: Seems like a great bed, but no return policy. Not with any of their vendors either. I can’t in good conscience drop that much money on a bed without the possibility of returning it. Also, their warranty only covers depressions that are 1 ½” deep or more. That seems like a lot to me, so I don’t have confidence in their beds.

2. Livefortomorrow.com: Seems to have all the organic qualities I like, but they use a 3” organic wool cover. 3 inches seems like a lot--won’t this take away from the benefits of Latex and potentially be way too soft?

3. Foamsweetfoam.com: Seems like a good business with all natural latex bed options. Good warranty (½“ depression minimum), exchange and return policy with good prices. However, wool and cotton cover is not organic. I’m wondering how important this really is. For eco and perceived health reasons, I prefer organic/no pesticides.

4 Flobeds.com: Also seems like a good business--similar to the above. But it’s Talalay latex and I wanted Dunlop. Mainly because I just can’t get around having a split mattress for my hubby and me. I mean…what eventually happens in the middle? Even with a thin layer on top, I feel like this is probably not the best way to go.

5. Cozypure.com: Not in my price range, but they brought up the issue of the layered “bedkits” not having a solid enough core of support. Cozy-pure’s beds always have a 7” core with layers on top of that. Is this a true concern? I would think three, 3-inch layers would offer good support, but is a 7” core better?

6. Greeensleep/Obasan/Sleeptek: Also seem like great beds, but they state a maintenance requirement of flipping/rotating the “inner plates” ever 4 months! I though the beauty of having a latex bed is that you don’t have to do this! This makes me concerned about the quality of their bed. Also raises that issue of a 7” core vs. thinner multiple layers. Are three, 3” layers of Dunlop or Talalay less durable than one 7” + 2”?

7. Natural Bed Store: Looks like a good bed but their wool is a washable wool bonded with silica or something….don’t’ know if this is bad, but I guess to be on the safe side I prefer pure wool.  More importantly, Like Saavyrest, their warranty is a 1 ½” depression minimum, which raises my eyebrows a bit. 

Thanks for your patience if you made it this far.  If anyone has any knowledge regarding any of my concerns or even just tips, your feedback is much appreciated!

This message was modified Jul 14, 2008 by azba
Re: Best Organic Latex Mattress??
Reply #13 Sep 27, 2009 8:40 PM
azba wrote:

3. Foamsweetfoam.com: Seems like a good business with all natural latex bed options. Good warranty (½“ depression minimum), exchange and return policy with good prices. However, wool and cotton cover is not organic. I’m wondering how important this really is. For eco and perceived health reasons, I prefer organic/no pesticides.

Caution again about "all natural"....my research discovered that blended latex can be called "natural", so ask ask ask!! 
I wouldn't expect Dunlop to impress over 1/2", but I'd still ask if this is a "typo" (how convenient for them if it is a typo!)
Do not buy a non-organic cotton/wool cover! There is fire retardant - usually boric acid powder. Don't let anyone tell you it's safe & they will! (one company told me they had to pay the government  tens of thousands of dollars to get certified to eliminate the fire-retardant. The government knows that putting a wool layer passes all testing for fire-retarding, but they still force even smaller companies to pay this, which they can't. It's a real shame.  Supposedly, a govt agent is sent to the plant & a flame test is done on the cotton/wool covered mattress, be it latex or innerspring.
Any company that is selling cotton/wool cover that isn't "organic" has flame retardant chemicals & is trying to pull the wool over your eyes! (pun intended!) The ONLY reason for the wool layer is for fire-retardancy, but the wool does offer added benefits re comfort, absorbancy etc. If I wanted 3" of extra cushioning, I'd get a separate cover or topper & there are many choices out there; cotton, wool, latex...all can be organic if not sold with the bed as it's covering.

If this company was really smart, they could possibly get around the "rules" by selling you the mattress components, and then shipping a chemical-free cotton/wool cover as a separate unit to anyone who is trying to avoid chemicals! (yes, a devious mind here, but that's why I'm a good researcher...I cover all angles in my head & questions shoot forth!)
Reply #14 Sep 27, 2009 8:44 PM
azba wrote:

4 Flobeds.com: Also seems like a good business--similar to the above. But it’s Talalay latex and I wanted Dunlop. Mainly because I just can’t get around having a split mattress for my hubby and me. I mean…what eventually happens in the middle? Even with a thin layer on top, I feel like this is probably not the best way to go.

Dunlop is far firmer. This is our issue too. Need the Dunlop firmess for our backs.
Look at some of the videos on split bed set-up. Latex is not the poly foam we are more familiar with that would easily separate. The density of latex and tight cover should keep it well in place. I have not read a bad review on this problem for the split mattress, but we have a king and don't sleep in the middle where this might occur anyway. Other activities on the center area could be a possible concern, but you could avoid the dead center possibly...lol
Reply #15 Sep 27, 2009 8:47 PM

5. Cozypure.com: Not in my price range, but they brought up the issue of the layered “bedkits” not having a solid enough core of support. Cozy-pure’s beds always have a 7” core with layers on top of that. Is this a true concern? I would think three, 3-inch layers would offer good support, but is a 7” core better?

I just can't reason this one way or the other. Three, 3" layers can't be that different.....can they?  We want a split bed, but if we didn't require this, I might lean towards a thicker core, but then you can't swap out the 3 layers as you may need to over time...
Reply #16 Sep 27, 2009 8:51 PM

6. Greeensleep/Obasan/Sleeptek: Also seem like great beds, but they state a maintenance requirement of flipping/rotating the “inner plates” ever 4 months! I though the beauty of having a latex bed is that you don’t have to do this! This makes me concerned about the quality of their bed. Also raises that issue of a 7” core vs. thinner multiple layers. Are three, 3” layers of Dunlop or Talalay less durable than one 7” + 2”?

NO WAY can anyone flip/rotate those layers every 4 months. However, we all need to check the fine print in the warranties for all of these latex mattresses. This little caveat might be in every one of them!
Something is wrong here...do they also sell innerspring mattresses? If yes, then they just copied innerspring info into their latex mattresses by mistake?

Let us know if you can find answer on durability of  three, 3" layers vs one 7" + 2" for dunlop or talalay
Reply #17 Sep 27, 2009 9:03 PM
azba wrote:

7. Natural Bed Store: Looks like a good bed but their wool is a washable wool bonded with silica or something….don’t’ know if this is bad, but I guess to be on the safe side I prefer pure wool.  More importantly, Like Saavyrest, their warranty is a 1 ½” depression minimum, which raises my eyebrows a bit. 

I didn't see that their wool is washable or bonded with silica, but haven't checked whole site yet. Washable wool sounds too good to be true and we all know how that ends....

again, don't worry about 1 1/2" impression if going with Dunlop. (we are doing Dunlop, Dunlop, with Talalay for top layer - now THAT might indeed be an issue for us to consider...thank you!

My biggest concern is that Dunlop might be too firm.....even with soft dunlop for top layer....but if we can find a company that sells both, we can always exchange & get a Talalay  top layer if the Dunlop proves to be too firm. (I already ordered a 32 IDL layer from foambymail as we were about to buy a tufted innerspring cotton/wool mattress set (Royal Pedic or Charles Beckley) & I knew I would need a latex topper as those beds are extremely firm. With a too firm Dunlop,  I can put that 32 layer between my soft dunlop top layer and my mattress pad! Therefore, no exchange issue perhaps.  Right before I ordered, I decided we might not enjoy the pressure points of those very firm mattresses at our advancing ages, even with bad backs....so we are going with latex with fingers and toes crossed!

LOL - just saw that this is post from a year ago! I wonder what you ended up with!?

For those just reading this forum for 1st time, like me, here's a review for the above-mentioned Natural Bed Store...not good but I called the Natural Bed store and they said they "think" they know who the person is who wrote the complaint below, and that she refuses to return the bed when they try to arrange pick-up. They feel she wants a free bed....So hard to tell who is telling the truth here. But if they wanted a free bed, why take the time to write the negative? Just "steal" the bed and keep your mouth shut I would think.... The fine print DOES say that foundations are not returnable...

Posted 6/18/09:
  "Hi here is a company that i would like to warn people about...The Natural Bed store....aka Land and Sky

we bought a organic latex bed from them..so excited.as iv been pondering this a whole year

I thought i had all my bases covered,ask a million what if questions ...we were told we had 90 days to return the bed if we didnt like it and that it would only cost $100 for shipping for mattress and 200 shipping for frame if we had to return it-we just didnt like how firm the bed was,latex just wasnt for us-

well after i told them i wanted to exchange or return the bed the staff got very hateful..started accusing me of wanting to keep bed(see we did the 3 month payment plan and still owed  money but we had already payed in over $1500)with out paying..which was ridiculous as we rather have our money back then a bed we dont like

they actually hung up on me!

so after the disrespect i just flat decided to return the bed. so advised by my lawyer i sent a cert. letter telling them that i was returning the bed and not to take anymore funds out of my acct.

then after i told them not to take the next payment out of my bank acct (which thankfully i cancled the card j/in case) they called me complaing my card didnt work :( i was sooo mad...since i already told them i was returning this bed..I called them on illegally trying to with draw funds with ou authorisation...they didnt comment back ,they just  switched the conversation to wanting to set  up a pick up date

i told them i wanted to make sure the shipment qoute as i am now not trusting themwell.....now there telling me i have to pay

$75 process fee and it will cost me add.$500 to ship the mattresses back and they wont take the bed frames back

which the sales person didnt tell me any of this as i was buying the bed( which i asked)

this company is not very honest and does not have good customer service...they may be cheaper but not worth it IMO

please go thur a more honest companyor be willing to either lose ALOT of money or be stuck with a bed you dont want

i hope iv helped someone...wish i knew this be4 i bought:(now im either out most of my money or stuck with a bed i dont want and probally a mark on my credit :(

anyone else been burned by this company?

i give this company a F-"

This message was modified Sep 29, 2009 by catlover
Reply #18 Sep 27, 2009 9:46 PM
eagle2 wrote:
After a very long and protracted ordeal I decided on Flobeds. The fact that they use only Talalay was one of my major concerns as well, as it would seem to me that Dunlop would give you a firmer feel.

I will know a lot more by Tuseday, as the mattresses is to arrive tomorrow.

One point I would like to make regarding nomenclature. The habitat website, which sells a very interesting mattress by the way, makes a very valid point about the word organic. Organic is just the wrong word to use as regards a full 100% natural latex product that is derived exclusively from the rubber tree. They say the proper word to use is "botanical" it makes sense to me that we need something to make it clear when a manufacturer is producing a latex product exclusively derived from the rubber tree.

It is amazing how even this niche market of latex bedding can fall into the same conventions as the big S. brands. In the sense that confusing the buying public about what is actually in the mattress. If a person wants a 100% botanically grown product they should have terminology that makes it easy for them to know this.

While I did not choose "habitat" because they have a very simplistic approach to latex mattresses that did not appeal to me, they do approach the subject in a very clear eyed and straightforward manner. Their website is one of the most informative out there. They have some good videos and a lot of good information. They use Dunlop as the foundation core. It is a 6 inch piece of Dunlop. They sell this piece of Dunlop as a mattress with a cover on it. They vacuum packet it and ship it to you. When you get it you unpack it, unseal it, and you have a bed. They also make the same six-inch Dunlop core with a 2 inch Talalay top. If this is not soft enough for you they make a third mattress with the same six-inch Dunlop core and a 3 inch Talalay top. This is all they sell. It's all glued together. If you don't like it, you can return it within six months and get your money back, minus $75 for return shipping. There is no exchange policy, only a return policy. That's the whole deal.

I wanted a lot more flexibility than this so I chose Flobeds.
Great post! Agree about Habitat & want split option for us.

Thank you and PLEASE let us know your opinion once received & slept on!

I private emailed you with my email as I really need to order soon as hubby has been sleeping on the bedroom floor for 5 weeks!
Reply #19 Sep 27, 2009 10:50 PM
Catlover: I have a thread started called "Just bought a FloBeds." I plan updating it every day recording my experience with my new mattress. I will probably start the update process Tuesday 9-28-09.

I did not receive any private email from you.
This message was modified Sep 27, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #20 Sep 29, 2009 6:50 PM
eagle2 wrote:
Catlover: I have a thread started called "Just bought a FloBeds." I plan updating it every day recording my experience with my new mattress. I will probably start the update process Tuesday 9-28-09.

I did not receive any private email from you.

I will be sure to bookmark your "Just bought a FloBeds"...!

I can't thank people like you, enough for taking the time to post on these blogs as it's so helpful to add to all the research I'm doing.

I will try to PM you again. Don't know why you didn't get it....
Reply #21 Feb 11, 2014 12:40 PM
To all, 

The original poster of the comment regarding flipping/rotating of the latex layers every 4 months is very incorrect in their statement. Obasan(manufactured by Sleeptek) do not recommend this, nor is it necessary. It is true that the beauty of natural rubber is that it is much more durable and will hold up far longer than regular polyeurethane foam cushioned beds.  However, rubber like all comfort materials will show some body impression as it ages and as such an individual may wish to flip their layers over from time to time.  The Obasan products are all made with smaller customizable pieces which are simple to access and easy to do.  If someone wanted to perform this maintenance (which again is not necessary or required by the manufacturer) then once every few years would be more than plenty.  As for the layering the commentor presumed there may a quality differnce in thicknesses of layers which there is not.  If you are using the same quality of rubber from top to bottom in a bed then there will be a difference in the durability because of the thickness of each layer.  To a point, multiple layers make it easier to customize a proper fit to an individuals body type, weight and sleeping position, all of which Obasan considers when formulating a proper configuration for a client needs.  

Remember if someone's comments don't seem to make sense, it's worth checking with the manufacturer of the product to get the facts.  All good companies will make is easy to contact them for information on materials, construction etc. 

Sleep Well, Live Well

Bob Kidd

Obasan

Reply #22 May 27, 2014 9:29 AM
I'd recommend checking out a different organic mattress product.
This message was modified May 27, 2014 by a moderator

Recent Posts