Bed in a Box ... looking for some clarification
Sep 16, 2007 12:25 AM
I was following the thread on the old forum and saw one I don't understand. Has some information surfaced and been posted that I have missed? I was considering one of their beds but now i am concerned about the company. Has anyone purchased form them?
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by midfla1
Re: Bed in a Box ... looking for some clarification
Reply #1 Sep 16, 2007 1:15 AM
Foam Nerd
I searched and searched and found a grand total of two references to the mattress from actual users - all the other posts were the same "advertisement."

Technically speaking, I believe their mattress will be of very reasonable quality, albeit on the soft side. [1] They use an HR core (high resilience polyurethane) of 2.4 lb density, which is quite impressive for a mattress at this price point. Their memory foam is a new foam from BASF called Pluracel Vx, manufactured by North Carolina Foam Industries. To my knowledge BedinaBox is the first company to use it in a mattress application. Up till now I had only seen it used in furniture. I know very little about it except that it's a 3 lb density and claimed to be non-temperature sensitive from 40 to 100 degrees. I suspect it's a decent quality foam...for a 3 lb memory foam.

Their assertion that they have the "the absolute best memory foam mattress...in America" is amusing. When a company makes such a patently silly statement, what is one to make of it, and how credible does it make their other claims?
  • Their 3 lb memory foam is "the most advanced memory foam on the market" ?
  • "3 lb. memory foam is the ideal density" ?
  • "Comparing our advanced , next generation 3 lb. Pluracel Vx foam with other companies, including Tempur-Pedic™, is like comparing apples to bananas or a paper airplane to a Boeing 767."
This is a shame because their website is filled with a lot of great information. The trouble is, where does the good information end and the hype machine begin?

I'm anxious for someone to actually buy one of their mattresses and write a review here. Until then, we only know what they tell us.

[1] The high resilience core has an ILD of 32. The 3 lb memory foam has an ILD of 10. You will find this information here.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #2 Sep 16, 2007 2:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to their website and they have alot of reviews under a few of the mattress pages but then there is a box to "add a review" and I guess you just have to trust these are real people raving about it. I am going to e-mail them also and see if I get a response.
Reply #3 Oct 3, 2007 7:57 PM
I just saw a comment on the Consumer Reports mattress forum from someone who purchased one.

They had slept on it for three days at the time of the comment and were giving it a thumbs up (one person did experience some of the heat problems others comment about with foam mattresses, but not the other).

I asked them to post another comment at the one-month seal-of-approval mark, since I am interested in purchasing one -- will let you know if I hear back.

Reply #4 Oct 26, 2007 2:22 AM
Foam Nerd
Any new feedback on this company's product?

Edit:

A lot of new testimonials have been added since I Iast visited their website. I am rarely impressed by testimonials on a manufacturers website, but they list names and cities. If these weren't real, wouldn't this be all too easy to confirm? But riddle me this: Why is there not a single review on epinions.com?

Pacbed Original Plus King by BedinaBox.com  (link to epinions.com)
This message was modified Oct 27, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #5 Dec 4, 2007 10:49 AM
I've ordered their

PacDown Plus™
11" Mattress
(with down cover)

Queen.

And it should be here tomorrow judging by the Fedex tracking number given. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT* Ship weight reads 98lbs.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2007 by Agizor
Reply #6 Dec 4, 2007 3:27 PM
Foam Nerd
Super. Someone who will actually own one! I've certainly been anxious to know just how good the best mattress in the world is. :-)
Reply #7 Dec 5, 2007 1:28 AM
Haha, me too. Will see how this turns out. Honestly... A little scared, heh... Buuuuut will see how this goes.

*crosses fingers*

I'll check back tomorrow after it arrives.

Reply #8 Dec 5, 2007 8:11 AM
FWIW, the information on their website seems to make a lot of sense.  Having owned a older high density memory foam/ cheap pu foam bed, it seems like they addressed the issues I had.
Reply #9 Dec 5, 2007 5:05 PM
Foam Nerd
Their website is outstanding, and very informative.
Reply #10 Dec 5, 2007 7:17 PM
Alright - Got it in around 2:30. Came is a pretty nice "Bed in a Box" ... well, box. :) sealed, naturally.

The 11 inch thick mattress was only about 3-4 inches when rolled up, but quickly expanded once the vacuum was broken.

First impressions? I think it feels great so far. Sadly my word isn't too much of value as this is my first memory foam mattress, though I say it feels very similar to the Tempur ones i've very breifly tried in the mall. The goose down cover is also a nice touch thus far...

I won't know for sure though till I try it tonight ;) I've heard going from a normal to foam can be a rough transition for some. Anywho, i'm happy with it so far. I'll check back later tomorrow and report the first night. :P

Also, if there is anything I should be looking for in particular that you guys are curious to know, and its something I can observe of it, let me know. *shrugs*

This message was modified Dec 5, 2007 by Agizor

Recent Posts