Are there any good quality FLAT pillows out there?
Dec 17, 2011 8:22 PM
Now that my bed is perfect I need a perfect pillow. I sleep on my stomach (bad I know, but I simply cannot fall asleep any other way.) All the good quality pillows I've had are  too thick causing hyperextension in my neck, and flat pillows are very cheap chopped foam that become lumpy and must be changed constantly. I do not want feathers.

Any suggestions?

This message was modified Dec 17, 2011 by DoreenA
Re: Are there any good quality FLAT pillows out there?
Reply #1 Dec 17, 2011 11:13 PM
I ordered a "My Pillow" from a TV Infomecial. It has its own web site. I really like this pillow. I goes great with my new latex mattress.
Reply #2 Dec 18, 2011 1:09 AM
Have you tried any low profile pillows made out of latex or memory foam?  Here is an example at Amazon.  You can probably find other fill materials as well.

I have an adjustable shredded latex pillow where I can take foam out to get the right height.  Latex foam last pretty long, although shredded ones do have to be fluffed every now and then as well.    I would try to stick with 100% natural latex, since the smell is less chemical.

You can also buy a 1" toppper and cut it into pieces and make a stack of the right height for you and put it in a pillow cover.

Reply #3 Dec 18, 2011 11:18 AM
I never thought about latex (I thought it might be too firm or bouncy) or about ordering a pillow online without feeling it in person, but after checking out your link Sandman I then went to Overstock and found what sounds to be pretty perfect.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Authentic-Talatech-230-Thread-Count-Latex-Foam-Soft-Density-Pillow/5542482/product.html

The fact that the only complaints seem to be that it's too soft for anything but stomach sleeping make it sound like what I need and the price is right.

Reply #4 Dec 18, 2011 3:00 PM
DoreenA wrote:

I never thought about latex (I thought it might be too firm or bouncy) or about ordering a pillow online without feeling it in person, but after checking out your link Sandman I then went to Overstock and found what sounds to be pretty perfect.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Authentic-Talatech-230-Thread-Count-Latex-Foam-Soft-Density-Pillow/5542482/product.html

The fact that the only complaints seem to be that it's too soft for anything but stomach sleeping make it sound like what I need and the price is right.

I think the solid latex pillows (like the overstock one) are more bouncy than the shredded ones.  Also, talatech is a blended latex, so the smell to me is a bit more chemical than 100% natural latex.  100% natural also has a bit of smell (reduced when I use a pillow cover + pillow case), but I don't find it unpleasant.    Latex is firmer than feather or other non-foam fills.  It keeps it shape, and you don't keep sinking in so much during the night.  So the key is getting the right height.

The shredded can shift around more in the covering, so that is a plus or minus depending on how you want to use it. Having tried both, I prefer the adjustable100% natural shredded, but hard to say which you will like better without trying.   That is an issue buying online.  However, I think I have returned something to overstock before (out shipping costs), so it was not a total loss.

Reply #5 Dec 18, 2011 8:09 PM
Thanks for the info, especially about the smell of the blended latex. Shredded sounds better for me.  I guess I'll continue my search!
Reply #6 Dec 19, 2011 10:46 AM
You can get a solid latex pillow that is very soft and has no bounce. I too am a stomach sleeper. I bought a solid latex pillow from the Latexco showroom in Lavonia, GA. They had a bunch of "samples" that had been sitting out for a while. As a result, there was absolutely no smell, probably because it had been airing out for a while. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what latex is in the pillow. This Latexco location manufactures only Dunlop, so I'm pretty sure that it is very low ILD Dunlop with lots of air holes. All the other latex pillows they had were much firmer and bouncier, and also varied the presence or spacing of relief holes, thereby varying the firmness.

The bottom line is that this pillow is ideal for me as a stomach sleeper, as it compresses to almost nothing, but still provides cushioning whether I'm on my stomach, back, or side. Latexco obviously makes these pillows for some companies, so they are available out there. I had the luxury of feeling it before buying, but you should be able to find a soft solid latex pillow.

Reply #7 Dec 19, 2011 10:51 AM
DoreenA wrote:

Thanks for the info, especially about the smell of the blended latex. Shredded sounds better for me.  I guess I'll continue my search!

You probably have to try each to see which variety you prefer.  The shredded seems more like a traditonal pillow, in that you can scrunch it up.  The solid keeps it shape better, so that is a plus.  Some people are bothered by the smell and some aren't.   Unfortunately, no real easy way to try them out and some places do not allow returns of pillows.

Reply #8 Dec 20, 2011 8:57 AM
Inexpensive shredded latex pillows are available here:

http://www.pillowflex.com/wholesalelatex.html

I have one. It is stuffed pretty full, and it doesn't have a zippered cover for adjusting the amount of latex, but you could easily open a seam partway, remove some latex to adjust the pillow, and then sew the seam back up or just put the whole thing inside a zippered pillow cover.

There are plusher, more expensive, and more finely shredded latex pillows on the market -- some with wool batting, I think -- but this would be an inexpensive option.

(On second thought: You might find this pillow to be too lumpy, even after adjusting it. For a flat pillow, it might be better to get one with more finely shredded latex.)

This message was modified Dec 20, 2011 by Catherine
Reply #9 Dec 20, 2011 6:10 PM
I visited the recommended sites. While the prices are fine, the shipping costs are more than the item to send to Canada. I hesitate to do this without ever trying out the pillows.
Reply #10 Dec 22, 2011 3:20 PM
Just something to remember... the pillow will feel very different (than trying them in a store) if the mattress you test the pillow with is unlike your mattress at home. A very basic example is a 3" thick soft pillow will feel like three inches of softness (and you love it) on a very firm mattress... put that same pillow on a super thick and plush pillow top and it will feel excessively thick for the person who love it while on the firm mattress.

Solution: test the pillows on a bed that feels similar to yours. If you cannot do this, only purchase from someone with a return policy on these accessories.

Recent Posts