Another foam factory bed (foamdistributing.com)
Jun 29, 2009 8:29 PM
The saga begins.  I bought the foam from Foam Factory, www.foamdistributing.com.  I had seen mixed reviews on this site, but the price was right.  Thank you for your help.

I ordered last monday (6-22-09), it arrived today, 7 days after the order.  Based on things I saw on this forum this weekend, I weighed the boxes before opening.

Here's what I ordered, top to bottom, with my calculated estimate what the weight should be:

$145  76x80x2" Memory Foam 4.5 lb King  31.6 lb
$252  76x80x3" Memory Foam 5.5 lb King, 58 lb 
$  50  80"x76"x2.5" Lux-R egg crate, 8.1 lb.  (I assume a 2.5" egg crate is 50% air, 50% foam)
$163  80"x76"x4" Lux HQ foam, 40.4 lb.

OK, great.  The shipping memo said total ship weight was 142 lb, I calculated 138 lb, we're happy.

Today the foam arrived, and I weighed them.  Flipping the bed upside down, I will start with the bottom layer first.  My happiness drops as I go up in the foam.

Weight of the boxes, as calculated, printed on the boxes, and weighed, then calculated density from the measured weight

Layer                 calc wt           Ship wt     Actual wt             Density
4" Lux-HQ:          40.4 lb          42 lb           39 lb                  2.70 lb/cf   OK< nominally 2.8 but I can deal.
2.5" egg crate      8.1 lb            13 lb            8 lb                  1.78 lb/cf   note this is the only one that was not in the box when weighed.  Nominally 1.8, OK.
5.5 lb memory    58 lb              56 lb         48 lb                   4.54 lb/cf   So the 5.5 lb foam is really 4.5?  Not what I ordered.
4.5 lb memory    31 lb              31 lb         13 lb                   1.84 lb/cf  NOT A TYPO!  And still in the box.  It felt the same weight as the egg crate but it's much bigger.

Customer support opens at 10 AM EDT tomorrow; I will be phoning.  I have opened the base and egg crate, they are airing out.  They are keepers.  The memory foam layers are still in their boxes so I can return them easily.

Their "5.5" lb foam was 4.5 lb; their "4.5" was 1.8!!  I will report how well their customer support responds.

Thanks for all the help you already gave me, this site is a wonderful resource.
Re: Another foam factory bed (foamdistributing.com)
Reply #1 Jun 30, 2009 9:25 AM
Good luck, and let us know what happens.  It will be interesting to hear what they tell you.
Reply #2 Jun 30, 2009 6:41 PM
The end of Round 2:  They found my order in their system, and I explained that two of the pieces were OK, but while I had not opened the other two, they could not possibly be what I ordered or they would weigh more.  They would actually weigh what the listed shipping weight indicated.  I was told "I'll have to pass this to a manager, I don't understand the concepts you are describing."  I was told a manager would call me today, or no later than first thing tomorrow.  No phone call yet.  That was 11:30, they closed at 5 PM an hour and a half ago. 
Reply #3 Jul 1, 2009 6:18 PM
They are having UPS pick up the two incorrect pieces of foam, probably either Thursday or Friday, and "we'll try to determine what happened."  I expect it will take a week to get the correct foam delivered.

Meanwhile, I've been evaluating the design; I always figured this base configuration would be too soft for me; right now I'm sleeping on it with a comforter under a mattress pad from Overstock.  The 4" ~ 50 ILD foam plus the egg crate was an overly firm bed, but it was always meant to be just a firm base, not the whole bed.  My wife is a side sleeper with sciatica, and we're hoping the 5" of memory foam over a firm base will work for her.  I may well be slicing and dicing to get "his side" and "her side" to work.  But that's a topic for after we've gotten the correct foam, and then slept on it enough to have a useful opinion.

Further updates coming as events warrant.

- Mike
Reply #4 Jul 13, 2009 6:47 PM
OK, a brief update.  The foam arrived two weeks ago today, should have been shipped back 10 days ago but I was in the back yard when UPS came by.  Then they lost track of it.  So they picked it up last tuesday, it got back to the factory on thursday 7/9/09, and they should ship the foam out "midweek" and will send tracking info when it ships.  UPS agreed the 13 lb box weighed 13 lbs, but they though the box that I said weighed 48 lbs, only weighed 43 lbs. 

The next update will be when the new foam arrives, here's hoping it weighs what it should.
Reply #5 Jul 26, 2009 7:43 PM
OK, another update.

On July 13th, the replied to my email asking what the status was, and said they should reship by midweek.  On July 20, they shipped the 4.5# topper, the box said 34 lb, when I weighed it it was 32 (well within the variance of my bathroom scale, with two 2x4 spacers and a piece of plywood to hold the box).  Great.  They said they should ship the 5.5# topper "by midweek" and it has not shipped yet.

I've nailed down the root cause, however.  They do not manufacture memory foam.  I've seen comments here about getting memory foam toppers from Overstock that were phenomenally underweight; well they have the same problem.  They apparently use the shipping weight their manufacturer puts on the label (unconfirmed, just my supposition) and say they are having to individually weigh packages to meet my weight requirements.  It seems to be SOP when a customer complains he didn't get what he paid for.

Of course, the dark side is that my weight requirements are merely their published foam specifications, so while they may be unwilling accomplices to selling underweight foams they are certainly not unknowing accomplices.

Anyway, I have the top 2", and the bottom 7", I'm just missing the middle 3".  Personally I've been sleeping on, and loving, the 5" PU and 2.5" egg crate, but my wife is a side sleeper with sciatica and she's been sleeping on our old mattress because what we have is too firm without the toppers.  I've been airing out the 4.5# and haven't put it on the mattress yet.
Reply #6 Jul 28, 2009 6:01 PM
DR_Mike,  Thanks for this contribution and sharing all of the gory details.  I think you are on to something regarding the density Quality Control issues being "passed along" to the end-customer -- even if its being done unknowingly.  Perhaps this story will encourage other customers to call FBM and request that their package is weighed before shipping out. 

That 4.5# coming in so low is crazy.  It almost makes me wonder if it was really 1" (and slightly under density).  Regardless, I'm glad to hear FBM is working to make this right.

I get the impression that MF has the most density QC problems.

PS.  You can't go wrong with a slab of Lux-HQ!

Reply #7 Jul 29, 2009 2:34 AM
Mike,

why did you decide to get the LUX Egg Crate? I'm not very familiar with Egg Crate or its purpose/feel...

And, do you think the 5 or so inches of memory foam is too much? I feel like I've seen 2 or 3 inches of it on top of mattresses, but not 5".

thanks! I hope you're sleeping well...
Reply #8 Jul 30, 2009 6:44 PM
OK, I have the last of the foam.

The 3" 5.5 showed up today, the box was labeled 56 lbs, I weighed it as 55, well within the accuracy of my setup.

They are airing out; I'm glad things showed up because I leave for vacation tomorrow morning.  Results from sleeping on it will have to wait.

FYI, the foam is, from top to bottom:

2" 4.5# memory - Pink
3" 5.5# memory - light peach?  Salmon?  beige-pink?  call it what you will.
2.5" 1.8# egg crate - light blue
5" 2.8# lux HR - blue.

This is held together with an Overstock mattress cover, basically a fitted sheet with a 1/4-1/2" thick top.

Now when we get back we'll see how we like sleeping on it...
Reply #9 Jul 30, 2009 6:58 PM
Electracat -

The theory on the egg crate is as follows:

First, I put the order in either just before or just after I found this page, so I knew a lot less than now.  A prior link I found claimed to be very similar to the Sealy Tempurpedic Celebrity with this recipe.  So I bought it, on the grounds that it was a $600 experiment to duplicate a $4500 mattress, and I would cheerfully start hacking it apart if I felt the need.  Given that just buying hating and returning the Sealy would cost $500 it was an easy gamble.

Second, when we tried the Celebrity in the store, it claimed about 5" of memory, and we liked it.  I expect I will need some better pad on top to not sleep too hot, but my wife loved it and I liked it.  So it was a good starting point, and I expect to ask for help in the next few months.  They had a lower model with 2-3" that the sales lady said Oprah owns, we found it less comfortable.

Third, Sealy's diagram at the store showed the egg crate as a "cooling channel" allowing airflow through the mattress.  This is supposed to help the mattress stay cool.  Yeah, unforced air cooling on the far side of 5" of high density foam (the Dr refers to a physics degree, not an MD, does it show?), I don't expect a major cooling effect but the added cost was minimal and if nothing else it should let the mattress innards breathe.

Personally I've been sleeping well on the 5" of Lux-HR and the egg crate, but my wife is a side sleeper and says she bottomed out on that.

Pleasant dreams, I'll be on an air mattress for the next week and a half.
Reply #10 Aug 11, 2009 7:37 PM
Well, we're back.

Last night was just the foam with a sheet on top; we didn't want to do more work after getting back.  Temps were about 90 F so we put the air conditioner on.  I can certainly see where sleeping hot could be an issue but a mere turn of the knob fixed that for the night.  Today I trim the lower layers with an electric carving knife and put the Overstock topper on.  It's minimal padding and should be what we need to cool of the top layers a bit.  The weather breaks tomorrow, we may try it sans A/C then.

I may well find this to be too soft for me, but my better half loves it.  Since she has back problems, solving her mattress issues takes priority.  I've decided that I won't make a yea/nay decision for a month, at which point I may decide to change layers, maybe only changing my side.  Again, the electric knife is your friend.  If she has problems then I'll probably start by just pulling the 2" 4.5 top layer.  If I'm the one with problems I may have to get creative.  I need to remember that being allowed to be creative is not reason to invent problems...

Again, the difference between hating this and hating the purchased model from the store is:  if I hate this, I'm out $660 (including the Overstock topper), I have a pile of foam, a knife, and I can order more foam.  If I hate the store version I'm out $500 and I still am out $4,000 to store credit in a store where I hated their flagship product.

Upon reflection I can say I am quite happy with foamdistributing.com.  From what they have told me, they are as much a hostage to MF quality as I am, only if I buy from them they will cull through their supply to get me the correct weight.  If I buy a topper from Overstock and it's light then I'm out of luck.  If I turn out to be unhappy with the mattress, well, they sold me what I asked for.  It's my fault not theirs.

Recent Posts