Aerus "Natural" in other-than-4lb densities
Jun 18, 2010 12:39 PM
Ouch
Has anybody seen Aerus in anything other than 4lb density? According to the Foamex website, it is now available in 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8lb densities!!! 
http://www.foamex.com/html/04_home_bedding_aerus.php

"The evolution of the new open-cell, highly breathable Aerus Natural family now provides for an enhanced and expanded line that includes 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, and 8.0 pound density offerings."

I have been somewhat interested in trying Aerus, due to it's advertised cooler properties. But, the lower 4lb density kept me away. But, after reading the above, I am especially interested in the 6 and 8lb densities.

Has anybody seen any of that anywhere? (They have a plant near me in San Leandro. I wonder which foams they make there, and if they sell "samples" right there.)

Also, anybody have any experience with the 4lb?

Re: Aerus "Natural" in other-than-4lb densities
Reply #1 Jun 18, 2010 1:08 PM
I think the blue mem-cool and fake Venus at overstock might be the same the old Aerus (probably not the newer natural version).  It is okay, but lacks density and support vs. the Sensus.  I think it is cooler than the Sensus. 

I have seen 5 lb. Aerus on Amazon and Sam's club websites.  I think 2.5" though.  I have never seen the 6 or 8 lbs.  You may want to Google search.

If you search this board, I think someone tried the 5 lb. and thought it felt wierd.  I was close to buying that at one point, but did not really want 2.5".  Pretty expensive too, and was not sure of the return possibilty once used.

Reply #2 Jun 18, 2010 1:21 PM
Ouch
The thought also occurred to me that the blue so-called "Venus" at Overstock might actually be this 8lb Aerus I just read about on the Foamex site, as other retailers have stated that Foamex has ceased making Venus. (OTOH, the same Foamex page says they still make Venus and Sensus in addition to the Aerus densities.)

Also, if all of the Aerus densities are the same shade of blue, then the issues with density of the Overstock "Venus" could have actually been due to an honest mistake from their vendor.

I am now tempted to try a 1" sheet of 8lb "Venus" from OS. If it doesn't weigh what it should, I will complain, and get a refund. If it is genuine 8lb MF, then it is certainly worth $128 for a 1" king-size sheet, regardless if it's true Venus, 8lb Aerus, or some other 8lb US-made foam. The only concern is that it might be made-in-China, and contain who-knows-what-crap.

Reply #3 Jun 18, 2010 2:25 PM
garypen wrote:

The thought also occurred to me that the blue so-called "Venus" at Overstock might actually be this 8lb Aerus I just read about on the Foamex site, as other retailers have stated that Foamex has ceased making Venus. (OTOH, the same Foamex page says they still make Venus and Sensus in addition to the Aerus densities.)

Also, if all of the Aerus densities are the same shade of blue, then the issues with density of the Overstock "Venus" could have actually been due to an honest mistake from their vendor.

I am now tempted to try a 1" sheet of 8lb "Venus" from OS. If it doesn't weigh what it should, I will complain, and get a refund. If it is genuine 8lb MF, then it is certainly worth $128 for a 1" king-size sheet, regardless if it's true Venus, 8lb Aerus, or some other 8lb US-made foam. The only concern is that it might be made-in-China, and contain who-knows-what-crap.

People that have bought the "Venus" (what most of now refer to as fake Venus) found that the density is not 8 lbs, but really 4 lbs. (on multiple samples).   I would be surprised if you end up getting 8 lb. density foam, so you are taking a gamble.  Maybe you can return it, and hopefully they will reimburse your return shipping costs as well. 

Reply #4 Jun 18, 2010 4:16 PM
Ouch
SOME people have reported it wasn't 8lb density. Others have reported that their King piece weighed 29lbs, which would be about right for a 1" thick king size piece of 8lb foam.

So, it seems to me this may not be a case of 100% deliberate misinformation. It may have been a mistake, if this is 8lb Aerus, and all densities of Aerus are the same shade of blue.

Even so, as you say, it's still a gamble. But, if I buy this blue 8lb stuff, and it's not 8lb, they are indeed going to refund my money, and pay for return shipping, or I will be disputing the charge and keeping the foam. I have a low tolerance for BS.

This message was modified Jun 18, 2010 by garypen
Reply #5 Aug 14, 2010 11:37 AM
What's with the uber-cheap Aerus memory foam on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/NaturalTM-Eco-Friendly-Cooler-Memory-Mattress/dp/B001E972PC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281799664&sr=1-2

Other Aerus models on Amazon seem to tell me they only sell it in 3lb density.  Would prefer to have 4lb but that's probably why it's so cheap here.

I got my 6+3" of soft latex from FBM but I still miss that sinking in feeling on the top.  I'm going to try the Aerus linked above.  It's about a quarter of what RMM charges so if I don't like it no biggie.

Reply #6 Aug 15, 2010 11:37 AM
You could always call Essentia directly and see if they would do you a topper.  Got nothing to lose as long as you can take rejectioncheeky (1-888-764-4116).

Good luck.

Reply #7 Aug 16, 2010 5:38 PM
Thanks for the input, good to know.  Though I did end up ordering a featherbed topper from Costco, Pacific Coast Down on Top Feather Bed:

http://tinyurl.com/2csnl9r

All natural down and cotton for $90.  If I don't like it I may call Essentia after all.  Will let you know how it works out...

edit- the raw Costco link was screwing up on the forum, converted it to a tiny url

This message was modified Aug 16, 2010 by Relaxo
Reply #8 Aug 17, 2010 8:16 PM
Just in case someone searches in the future, Essentia does make toppers. They emailed me their prices for 2" models and they were downright pricey, probably because they are custom jobs.  In any case they're available if your budget allows (mine doesn't).

Recent Posts