Aerus Natural 5lb. Impressions
Oct 14, 2010 11:56 AM
I received the Aerus on Tuesday, and after one day airing out I tried it last night.  Sam's club shipped it one day after I ordered it and it took 6 days (including the weekend) to get here from Indiana.  I believe it was dropped shipped directly from Foamex.

I weighed it in the plastic bag it came in at 35 lb.s.  So, slightly more than 5lb. density based on my calculation.  Sizing seems pretty good (I did not measure), a little smaller than 1 of my pieces of latex.

Initial hand feel is that the surface seems slightly rougher than the Sensus, and it springs back a little quicker.   The bamboo cover is 60% polyester and 40% bamboo rayon.

There are some of the usual off gassing issues.  Probably less than other memory foams I have purchased.  Maybe due to the "natural" process.

To test, I took off 3" of other foam (2" MF, 1" 19ILD latex) and my Natura mattress pad.  So, I had the Aerus over 3" of latex (2" 32, 1" 24) on the Sealy coils with the 1" wool topper on top of it.

Initial feel was pretty good.  Reasonably firm, but soft and plush.  After warming up it definitely molded to body shape.   I felt less pressure points than I normally do.  I never felt overly hot (and this was with less wool than I often use), but it does warm up like any other foam does.  So, I would say that it does indeed seem to breath better than the Sensus.

The possible negative I would say is that I might prefer it slightly firmer or thinner.  Maybe a bit too much sinking in after fully warmed up, but perhaps I need to go even firmer underneath it.   We will have to see on this.  In terms of firmness I would say it is softer than Sensus or normal Tempur 5.3 (maybe more like the cloud material - never tried so can't really say).   Maybe this is somewhat a tradeoff to making memory foam more open and breathable?

It seems firmer than the 4lb mem-cool and the 4lb gel infused Costco (Novaform?).

So, somewhere in the middle overall.  I think the 4lb. Aerus would definitely be too soft for me, so I am glad I did not go with that.  To be fair, most of these I have not tried in 2.5" in the same exact conditions, so my estimates of firmness are fairly subjective.

I think I will add the Natura wool mattress pad tonight (which I normally use) to add a bit more firmness.   My first impression lying on it that way seems pretty good.   Only a nights sleep will tell for sure.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2010 by sandman
Re: Aerus Natural 5lb. First Impressions
Reply #2 Oct 14, 2010 2:56 PM
the cover on that aerus looks nice..............
Reply #3 Oct 14, 2010 5:37 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

Looks good, Sandman.   I hope you find a combination that works for you.   I assume this topper is 2.5 inches thick?    I wonder if SAMS stocks it in their stores?   Maybe I'll check on Friday when I'm there, but so far I'm happy with my 1 inch Sensus and doubt I'll get anything else very soon.    I LOVE the cat photos!   We too are a cat family at my house.

Yes Mark, it is 2.5".   That is the only thickness I have ever seen in the 5lb.  I don't go to their stores, so not sure if they stock them.

I probably would have gone for 2" if available, but maybe this will be right.   With your current situation, I think this would be too soft for you as a replacement for the Sensus. 

Foamex does not seem to know how to distribute their products.  I don't know why don't they have more options (1",2",3") and possibly 6lb or other densities that supposedly they can make.

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by sandman
Reply #4 Oct 14, 2010 10:11 PM
I was about to buy this from amazon myself but the off-gassing of these chemical-based memory foams always throws me off. :(

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PPPZSU8GAADG/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001E972JI&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Have any input here?  My nose/lungs are fairly sensitive, and I have a personal bias against chemicals in the bed after suffering miserably with a cheap mem foam topper from China.  I wish Essentia's prices were a bit more comparable to the competition!

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by Relaxo
Reply #5 Oct 14, 2010 11:22 PM
At one point I bought a memory foam topper from Costco and it was awful. I'm not normally sensitive to stuff but the offgassing was awful and I actually developed respiratory problems. Even after a few weeks when the smell had dissipated, I was still suffering. My SO has a very keen sense of smell and she was having difficulties as well. Returned it with no problems and the respiratory problems disappeared within 48 hours. Haven't had the same problem with other memory foam products. I have a hard time believing that the Foamex Aerus was as bad as the reviewer was making out but sandman is the expert here since he has a new one.

I also don't get why Foamex doesn't make it more readily available in the higher weights and thicknesses. I saw some places in Canada that still use the Venus 8lb in some of their products but they were mostly medical type applications.

I still suspect that Essentia is using a foam like NuForm and not making their own. I have seen no evidence that they have a factory anywhere.

And talking about Nuform, I just saw that there are toppers available here http://www.mattresses.net/3-inch-rejuvenite-talalay-latex-mattress-topper.html although based on the feedback I had from Sandman when I was asking about it I'm not sure I would use it as a topper.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Oct 15, 2010 7:31 AM
I have not noticed any off gassing or smell of any kind from my new Sensus memory foam.   I only let it air out for an hour or two then put it right onto the

bed.  Haven't noticed a thing except better sleep.   Of course it is only 1 inch thick.  

Reply #7 Oct 15, 2010 11:16 AM
Phoenix wrote:

At one point I bought a memory foam topper from Costco and it was awful. I'm not normally sensitive to stuff but the offgassing was awful and I actually developed respiratory problems. Even after a few weeks when the smell had dissipated, I was still suffering. My SO has a very keen sense of smell and she was having difficulties as well. Returned it with no problems and the respiratory problems disappeared within 48 hours. Haven't had the same problem with other memory foam products. I have a hard time believing that the Foamex Aerus was as bad as the reviewer was making out but sandman is the expert here since he has a new one.

I also don't get why Foamex doesn't make it more readily available in the higher weights and thicknesses. I saw some places in Canada that still use the Venus 8lb in some of their products but they were mostly medical type applications.

I still suspect that Essentia is using a foam like NuForm and not making their own. I have seen no evidence that they have a factory anywhere.

And talking about Nuform, I just saw that there are toppers available here http://www.mattresses.net/3-inch-rejuvenite-talalay-latex-mattress-topper.html although based on the feedback I had from Sandman when I was asking about it I'm not sure I would use it as a topper.

Phoenix

Based on the description, I think these are just Talatech (blended) latex toppers.  I don't see an reference to Nuform?

Reply #8 Oct 15, 2010 11:26 AM
Relaxo wrote:

I was about to buy this from amazon myself but the off-gassing of these chemical-based memory foams always throws me off. :(

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PPPZSU8GAADG/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001E972JI&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Have any input here?  My nose/lungs are fairly sensitive, and I have a personal bias against chemicals in the bed after suffering miserably with a cheap mem foam topper from China.  I wish Essentia's prices were a bit more comparable to the competition!

Every new piece of memory foam I have tried has some off gassing, this included.  I think this is a little better than average, but still there.   The worst was the gel infused Novaform Costco topper.

Usually it dissipates a fair amount after a few days or weeks and I don't notice it.  However, if you are highly sensitive then it might be an issue. 

I think every memory foam is going to have chemicals, so that is another issue for you.

Reply #9 Oct 15, 2010 12:30 PM
Rejuvenite is their trade name for Nuform pillows. They (Latex International) call it "ultra premium" talalay and market it as a "step up". They also say it's "all natural".

I guess there's nothing to stop them from putting regular talalay latex in the Rejuvenite pillow or brand but up to now rejuvenite has been Nuform.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Oct 15, 2010 1:48 PM
Well I just had a long conversation with Ken (the owner) which I must say was very interesting.

He just got them in and he believes that the topper is blended talalay but he read through all the information he had been given with me and none of it said for sure. He said that it did not feel like "slow recovery" latex. The information did use the same wording as the Nuform information but it didn't say anything about what was in it. They call it a "body pillow" (which is probably why it is under the rejuvenite brand). He is sending an email to Latex International to find out. He is carrying this topper because he says it is very nice and has a very nice cover. He usually deals with Radium and has had some problems over the years with LI but he thought this was well worth carrying.

He will email me when he gets his reply.

He shared some other interesting stuff with me as well which I will get to when the opportunity presents itself ... particularly about "organic" mattresses.

I'll post here when he confirms what is in it.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #11 Oct 15, 2010 2:14 PM
Their description says:  "Latex International delivers their all new 3" Talatech latex mattress topper".

Talatech is theire flagship blended latex.  However, it is possible that the website is wrong.   I don't see any mention of Rejuvenite toppers on the Latex International website.  So, maybe a new product. 

My guess is that it is just the blended latex in a cover.

Recent Posts