Side sleeping, shoulder/hip pain. I need to switch...Suggestions??
Sep 7, 2009 12:53 AM
I purchased a queen "Vilamoura" mattress Mattress Warehouse several months ago. I'm not sure what it is labeled ass at other stores (maybe lukasa/lusaka?), but it is visco firm, has a very small pillow-ish looking top and has 900-something springs. I think it "listed" at $1,500-$1,600, but I got a slightly better deal b/c I don't need a box spring (platform bed). Anyway, it felt great in the store esp. and it didn't bother my problematic back (lumbar disk issue). However, now that I'm sleeping on it, I wake and toss and turn througout the night. I'm a side sleeper and my shoulder doesn't sink in. Thus, my upper body becomes contorted. Moreover, my hip is sore from contact all night. Unfortunately, it is too late to return and I think I need to revert to a softer mattress. Lesson learned...I hope. So here's my question (and I apologize for all of the quotes!):

Does anyone have experience with the Sealy Posturepedic "Natural Origins Series?" I tested few of the series' models at Mattress Discounters. I liked it's "Cascade Creek Plush" model which has a softer top and is $1099 on sale from $1499. It's "Running Stream" model has a "luxury" plush pillow top (seemed close to its "paradise valley pillow top" model which is part of it's "reserve collection." It is $1299 on sale from $1699. Apparently the Natural Origins Series is the higher end.

Help!
Re: Side sleeping, shoulder/hip pain. I need to switch...Suggestions??
Reply #1 Sep 7, 2009 10:28 AM
Cptab,

Your mistake is an exceptionally common one if it makes you feel any better. Here's why:

If you're replacing an old mattress because it hurts your back (especially because of it sags) your body will cry out for something firm, something hard to help your body heal. So, you'll go to the store where the beds have been broken in more than your new model and that firm will feel wonderful. You'll take it home and for your first several weeks to a month your back is in Heaven as it heals from the saggy old bed you had before. After awhile, however, your back is healed and the rest of your body begins to complain. As a side sleeper, you're extra sensitive to too hard of a mattress and you're feeling those coils pushing up into your hips and shoulders, cutting off the blood flow. Your body naturally turns away from this loss of blood flow as you sleep and you toss and turn.

For this reason if you're replacing a mattress because your current one sags and you feel like you need something firm you want to attempt to temper that feeling somewhat and get something that feels just a shade too soft in the store. Not to the point of discomfort, of course, just a shade. This is only if you're replacing because your current mattress sags.

Now, on to your question. Yes, I have a lot of experience with the Sealy Natural Origin series. It comes in two different flavors: 5 turn and 7 turn coils. The 5-turn is a "Posturpedic" coil and the 7-turn is a "Posturetech Plus" coil. Sealy Posturepedic as a whole uses an interlaced coil system where the coils are attached together via a helictical lace. In short this gives the beds a firmer feel than other designs. The two extra turns in the 7-turn, however, exist ABOVE and BELOW the lace and are therefore not connected to the coils next to them. This gives the Sealy more of a conforming feel and less of a deep firm.

The 7-turn pillowtop is VERY soft. Too soft for most. The 7-turn plush would be a good option. Ask the RSA how many turns are in the coil and what the name of it is. Not all NO beds are 7-turn. I would not recommend the 5-turn plush. The Natural Origins series is also bamboo topped (unique for this price range) which is good if you're a particularly hot sleeper.

Another good option around the same price range is the very early Stearns and Foster Estate series beds. The dual coil intellicoil design in a plush would actually be a superior solution for you if you can find it. You can get the most entry level one they have so long as it's Estate with Intellicoil.

If you and your bed partner are not particularly big people the indivividual coils of a Simmons World Class (not classic) pillowtop may also be a reasonable choice. The Simmons uses more memory foam than HD and Latex so it provides a slightly firmer feel even in a pillowtop. This should also be around the same price range.

Re: Side sleeping, shoulder/hip pain. I need to switch...Suggestions??
Reply #2 Sep 8, 2009 12:46 PM
You might try a cuddlebed topper or a poly-fill (they call them down-like)topper for the bed.  Mine was too firm at first and hurt my shoulders and hips and this type of topper made a huge difference.  I'm sleeping well now.
Kait

Recent Posts