Recommendation for latex bed and cover
Mar 28, 2015 11:33 PM
I am looking to buy a new twin mattress for my 6 year old son. I want something that is comfortable and non-toxic. There is a good chance that this will be his mattress until he leaves home so I would like something that will last and be comfortable when he is larger.

I went to three stores but am overwhelmed by the choices. :) The stores focused on Dunlop latex and recommended 6" mattresses, with the suggestion of buying a topper when my son is older. Is this the best option?

Assuming yes, I think I have it narrowed down to three mattress options and would love your assistance picking. My son says every mattress is comfortable (and he tried a lot!). The three options (with prices including tax) are:
1. Sleeptek kids 100% organic natural latex mattress ($979)
2. Obasan Fundy ($1119)
3. Arpico 6" ($631 in medium, $672 in firm)

We tried options 1 and 3. We are in Vancouver and there is no store that carries option 2. I assume that option 2 is similar to option 1 but understand that Obasan is the luxury version of Sleeptek and the Fundy's cover is removable (don't know if that's better).

The Arpico seemed comfortable (it was medium density) and was much cheaper. I was told it is also 100% natural Dunlop latex. I would say it has an inferior cover since it is a thin piece of organic cotton versus a thicker cotton and wool quilted cover on the Sleeptek.

Can you please explain the difference between the beds? If the main difference is the cover then it seems like the Arpico is a bargain.

If I should be buying a thicker mattress, please explain the benefit.

Also, what type of cover is recommended? We have Sleeptek's wool puddle pads for our younger son's crib mattress and love the thinness and waterproof ability but I'm not sure the cost ($189 for a twin) is justified here as my older son is unlikely to have any bedtime accidents. I saw a wool/cotton overlay by Snugsheep at one store ($119) and it looked nice and am interested in the St. Dormier mattress protector which I can order online but haven't seen in person so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks so much in advance!
Re: Recommendation for latex bed and cover
Reply #1 Apr 2, 2015 3:41 PM
Vangirl.  You have done your homework.  Since you've tried out 1 and 3 and liked them both you should not take the risk on 2 unless you give that a try as well.  It is nice having the option of removing the cover from the mattress(Fundy) but since you are not certain it is exactly the same as #1 it is not worth the risk.  

If the beds feel good to you and your son and are the same density then cheaper would be my choice.  It sounds like you are going to place a mattress pad on any bed you get so the thickness of #3's cover is irrelevant.  

You will also be grateful that you are selecting a 6" bed now in that you will be able to add softer or harder toppers when your son's preferences change.  Mattdud

This message was modified Apr 6, 2015 by a moderator
Reply #2 Apr 3, 2015 7:31 PM
A 6" Latex mattress is a good fit for Children and Adults. It is thick enough to support your weight and thin enough to be easily moved. The Dunlop latex is a little more firmer than Talalay Latex. Talalay tends to be softer because the manufacturing process mixes the latex and cools it first to make sure it is uniform before heating the latex. The Dunlop process does not cool the mixture and the some of the minerals settle to the bottom making it a firmer choice. A good terry cloth or wool cover is a good choice. Wool does tend to keep you cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter. Most any good quality Latex mattress will do the job. Hope this helps.
This message was modified Apr 6, 2015 by a moderator
Reply #3 Apr 23, 2015 5:31 PM
thank for your information. Anw u can check in DreamFoam latex. I think it very good
Reply #4 May 13, 2015 6:21 AM
Nice post. Thanks for the tips about bed covers. I will surely check it out and make sure that I will be able to buy the right mattress.
Reply #5 Jul 27, 2015 11:01 AM
You can check urban mattress. I really like them

Recent Posts