new member 1st post
Oct 5, 2009 10:00 PM
Hello,
I stumbled upon this board last week looking for info
. I went looking for info because, a couple weeks ago my lower back started hurting really bad upon waking in the morning. I thought it was from work. I noticed that my wifes side of the bed felt better so I discovered that my side was worn. So I flipped the mattress and after sleeping that night I had almost no back pain the next day. I know that this wont last much longer so I decided I need a new mattress. The mattress I have now is from customcomfort here in socal. I bought one the most inexpensive ones they had in 2005 so it lasted a good 4 years it was around 300.00 It has
> Medium Coil
> Fiber Inner Body Padding
> Quilted Plush Top
Well after reading the many posts here I would like to go the DIY route, Im not knocking customcomfort, I just think I can get more for my money by DIY surgery.
I like jimsocal's idea as he has a coil mattress and put the sensus, latex, HR foam.
I see the sensus at overstock, the latex talalay at a few places sleeplikebear, sleepez, and foambymail huge difference in price, but I dont see the 1"HR foam could someone tell me where to purchase that.
If i go with FBM for the talalay and overstocks sensus that puts the cost at 220.00 not bad.
I'll post pics when I start this.
Re: new member 1st post
Reply #1 Oct 5, 2009 11:18 PM
FBM has a good and affordable selection of HR foam (under 'conventional foam')--the LUX-HQ and HD36-HQ are the best for base layers, and there's also eggcrate (convoluted foam) for mid/top-layers if you so desire.

FBM's other, wholesale site, Foamdistributing.com, has the same products (slightly different sizing, sometimes), for about 1/2 the price. If you have an electric knife you can cut it to fit your bed frame.
Reply #2 Oct 6, 2009 9:43 AM
I just bought my bed from Custom Comfort, after doing a few months of almost nonstop research into mattresses and into DIY projects.  You might want to go back and check out the Custom Comfort mattresses again.  They do have a mattress for every budget, and they are up front about the fact that their budget mattresses do not have a long life span.  However, they also make better quality mattresses that are built to properly support your back and are built to last.  Although I visited Custom Comfort with a latex bed in mind (and by the way, three nights of pain-free sleep and counting), I did take the time to try out all of their traditional mattresses and was very impressed with them.

Go back to their web site and view their videos on mattress construction.  They make their mattresses the old fashioned way, with quality springs and quality padding, no cheap foams or fillers at all.  Almost all of their mattresses are designed to be two way mattresses that can be flipped and rotated for durability.  Some of their traditional coil mattresses offer an option to have the comfortable latex layer on top.  All in all, my guess is that anything they build you *might* be more expensive if you go the quality route this time, but will probably last a lot longer than what you have in mind building for yourself.

For your DIY project, the first thing you might want to think about is whether the coils on your $300 Custom Comfort mattress are what you want to start with.  Keep in mind that you bought possibly the cheapest available mattress on the market, a bed that was only designed to last a few years.  Those coils are probably going to be a poor foundation to start your project..  You may need to scrap the entire bed and start with new coils, which is essentially what Jimsocal did.

Also, if your back is killing you, you might think about trying the pure latex route.  There are lots of DIY companies out there (e.g. Flobeds which everyone loves) but Custom Comfort has six models of latex beds you could try to see if they are something you would be interested in.  Three of the models are their own manufacture, and they are also the only California distributor of OMI Organic Latex Mattresses, a ridiculously overpriced line of latex mattresses that are made in a 100% organic environment.  If you like the feel of the latex beds, then you could turn to Flobeds or Sleepez or some other company to custom build your own.

Good luck and report back as your project continues!
Reply #3 Oct 7, 2009 4:23 PM
Since your mattress was made locally, by a reputable company, I'd call them first before cutting into the mattress.  Tell them what your issue is and ask if there is anything they could do to help you.  Perhaps they could so something as simple as a foam replacement or fluffing up the insides. 
Those of us who have done mattress surgery have performed it on beds that had layers and layers of cheap P/U foam, which was the problem.  If your bed doesn't have these layers, chances are you don't need to do surgery.
OTOH, if they feel that it is the springs that are your issue, then you need a new bed.  I see no reason why springs would fail after only three years, tho. 
I wouldn't feel too bad if your mattress does need replaced.  If I'd only spent $100/year on a comfy mattress then I'd be thousands richer right now.  Alas, my lengthly experiment has left a carnage behind me of way too much money in useless beds(useless to me, anyway).  Thank goodness for young adult offspring...they are always wanting our cast offs.
Kait
Reply #4 Oct 8, 2009 8:08 PM
thanks for the replies, I decided to go with a 2" sensus topper it just arrived today via ups , it stinks bad , unable to sleep on it so im airing it out in a different room. I ordered a 1" latex topper from sleeplikeabear on their ebay store 167.46 shipped, now I need the HR foam and a mattress cover. I understand the advice in your replies but I just dont have the $1000+ to spend on a mattress
Reply #5 Oct 8, 2009 8:51 PM
Well good luck with your project, please do report back when you have all your pieces assembled and let us know how it worked out!

Recent Posts