help make my sofabed more comfortable please
Jul 4, 2012 4:01 PM
I recently bought this sofabed, 2nd hand, gently used. http://www.furniturenyc.net/product/wing-deluxe-ifelt-dark-grey-sofa-bed-innovation-usa/ I love the mechanism on it. It is much easier than a futon; one person can move it up and down easily. It has pocket springs and foam in it. It is pretty comfortable, but very very firm. I'd like to get a topper to make it more comfortable for my mom, who has back problems, and other visitors. Let's say the typical guest might be ~5'10 and ~140-170lbs. Would you recommend a latex topper, a featherbed, or something else? I think the featherbed would be easiest to store and make the bed, but I also want what is most comfortable. Love this forum. I am taking notes for my next mattress purchase too!
This message was modified Jul 4, 2012 by backtosleep
Re: help make my sofabed more comfortable please
Reply #1 Jul 5, 2012 11:08 AM
Given a very very firm 43x79", you could call that the core and top it with this 3x38x79.5" plush/19 or firm/28 LI Talalay Latex topper in a nice stretchy cover that will protect it and allow the Latex to contour to the sleeper.  I'd go plush if the core is very firm... the core is probably very firm to support sitting on it.  You should expect to be careful moving and storing the Latex since it can tear... it would be good to have place where you could slip it gently into storage... flat or loosely rolled.  This Latex has pinholes that help it to ventilate... top it with a wool pad for optimum ventilation comfort.  Talaly is less dense/lighter than Dunlop.

Memory and other foams would offer less ventilation (and comfort, imo).  Feathers would probably be cheaper but not as effective and would downclass the overall design,,, imo.

Talk it over with the vendor first... they have more experience.

GK

This message was modified Jul 5, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #2 Jul 5, 2012 7:49 PM
If you're going to having visitors fairly often and needing to remove and store the topper regularly to revert from bed to sofa and back again, latex may not be the best solution. Some people are allergic to feathers, so the easiest solution might be a good, well-filled sythentic topper. Easy to remove, put back and roll up to store.
Reply #3 Jul 5, 2012 8:04 PM
DoreenA wrote:

If you're going to having visitors fairly often and needing to remove and store the topper regularly to revert from bed to sofa and back again, latex may not be the best solution. Some people are allergic to feathers, so the easiest solution might be a good, well-filled sythentic topper. Easy to remove, put back and roll up to store.

Good points.  Latex would be a sweet solution if not frequent and you can handle and store it.  I'm skeptical that anything less than significant foam will improve a very firm seating surface for comfortable sleeping.

GK

Reply #4 Jul 6, 2012 6:49 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

Good points.  Latex would be a sweet solution if not frequent and you can handle and store it.  I'm skeptical that anything less than significant foam will improve a very firm seating surface for comfortable sleeping.

GK

I  was skeptical too. I got a new bed last year that was so hard and firm it made my shoulders hurt and my arms numb. Due to a lack of places around here to try out latex in person I decided to go the synthetic route for a topper until I could do a personal test of latex. I'm so comfortable that I have no intention of changing out toppers for now, and I do have a back problem that sent me to physiotherapy.

I do think that for a sofa bed that gets used once in awhile, this may be the most practical answer. A cheap eggcrate foam layer could be added for extra  softness and still be very light and easy to remove and replace.

It depends on the OP's priorities. If it's durability and comfort and overnight guests are rare, then latex or memory foam might be best. If the priority is ease of use and storage for frequent guests, then those probably aren't the best choice.

Reply #5 Jul 9, 2012 1:11 AM
Thanks for the helpful responses. Yes, the "base" is super-firm. I have slept on it. I like a firm mattress, so with my comforter under me, I can sleep, but I move around more than usual.

Reflecting on what you've said, I think the top priorities are durabilty and comfort. Convenience, appearance, and allergies are less important. Durability is a priority both for budget and ecosystem. So latex is not the right option if it is likely to tear under this usage. Synthetics also weren't durable in my experience, but I'm willing to be convinced. 

Featherbed:

- A quality featherbed is over $200, so the same ballpark as latex.  

- I do worry about they geese they get these from, wonder how that works...  No problem with allergies that I know of. 

Latex:

- Is there any type of latex where tearing is less likely?

- I will need to store the topper.  If I get a twin size piece, I can store it without folding or rolling it.

- I can be careful, but if it is likely to tear anyway when being moved so much and used by guests, then it is not a good choice.  

Synthetics:

- I'm not sure how cushy synthetic fill toppers are. I have a syntethic duvet and it completely compresses if you lie on it. I suspect memory foam or egg crate might be more comfortable than this.

- I'm concerned about foam drying out too soon. Our home gets very dry and warm in the summer. The last foam topper I bought (several years ago, for grandma's house but similar conditions) was dried out and falling apart within 4 years. Not acceptable. Perhaps we didn't have it under the right kind of pad? Or buy the right brand? (I think it was from Overstock)

Other options ???

Going really out of the box.... 

Doublewide camppad:

Will declass the experience for sure, but I don't mind too much.

-- either an open-cell solid foam camp pad like this

--or a self-inflating airmattress with open cell foam like this.   

- Pro: can use it camping too. Most of our current camp gear is light-weight (read: less comfortable) for backpacking, so this would be a welcome comfort for car camping.

Thanks again for all your feedback. Welcome more input about durability & experience, but you all have been so helpful already. At this point, I'm still thinking featherbed ... or camppad .. but willing to consider other ideas / experiences. I really wanted to get latex as sort of a preview on redoing our own bed in the future. 

This message was modified Jul 9, 2012 by backtosleep
Reply #6 Jul 18, 2012 3:10 PM
So, I bought a featherbed for the sofabed. 95% waterfowl feathers and 5% down, bafflebox construction, 2.5-3" of loft. 

Pros:

• It helps. More comfortable than sleeping on top of my comforter.
  • My guest slept OK, a bit fitfully. No back problems.

Cons:

• Not a plush, sink-in feeling that I have seen others report about featherbeds.
  • It compresses a lot. 
  • Bulky. Perhaps there are featherbeds that are even more plush, but then they will be even bulkier.

My recent guest has gone. Next time, I will try something else. Maybe an open-cell foam air-mattress. 

This message was modified Jul 18, 2012 by backtosleep
Reply #7 Jul 27, 2012 3:30 PM
Reliability and comfort are main factors for bedroom furniture. I guess you must go for adjustable sofabeds. I also purchased one set of them online. But i am confused about from where to buy mattresses because i am not getting the right one for which i am looking for.

Recent Posts