frustrated at this whole mattress shopping experience
Aug 10, 2011 2:02 AM
Hey guys,

I've been sleeping on a futon mattress for the past 8 years and I went to a chiropractor recently and found out I really need to get a good mattress. I went to Sit n Sleep and I found some pretty good mattresses. However, all of them felt great compared to the bad futon mattress. What made this mattress shopping absolutely horrifying and frustrating are the reviews I read, mainly on this site.

I can't remember the exact model or style, but the ones the store manager recommended were: simmons beautyrest black (around 2200 for queen), sleep to live (around 1700 for queen), serta icomfort (around 1200 for full XL).

For those three, I have found mainly bad reviews for various reasons and since this is not a cheap purchase, it really scares me.

I guess what scares me the most are

1. craters
2. defects
3. customer service and warranty

I've read some reviews saying most of the mattresses will have a indentation/crater within like 3-4 months of purchase and simmons's customer service is either not helpful or will do anything to get out of their warranty.

I'm sorry this thread isn't very organized. I am very very frustrated (not at you guys of course). Maybe you guys can give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Wynn

Re: frustrated at this whole mattress shopping experience
Reply #5 Aug 10, 2011 7:21 PM
wynnsayz wrote:

thanks! thats a great read!

does beautyrest black use pocketed coil like jim mentioned? or the pocketed coil used in black is better than the ones in other beautyrest line

Beautyrest Black coils are made from twisted pairs of coil.  The rods are twisted together in a spiral, then made into a coil.

Posturepedic advertises titanium coils.

This message was modified Aug 10, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #6 Aug 10, 2011 7:48 PM
Hate to scare you, but if you think just shopping for a mattress is a hassle ... wait until you purchase a  set and maybe find out it isn't all that for you....

I've been through it 3 times ... so far since May this year - 1 mattress and 2 mattress sets (w/ foundations).

This message was modified Aug 10, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #7 Aug 10, 2011 8:14 PM
Ya, so is the coil in beautyrest black better than other lines of beautyrest?
Reply #8 Aug 10, 2011 8:15 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Beautyrest Black coils are made from twisted pairs of coil.  The rods are twisted together in a spiral, then made into a coil.

Posturepedic advertises titanium coils.

makes me wonder why, steel is used instead of copper and aluminum because it is much more elastic and therefore able to return to its shape much quicker and without losing as much strength over time. chromoly steel is even more elastic than regular steel and is typically used for springs in race car applications. the whole point of a spring is to absorb energy and then return to its original shape, hence elasticity of the material chosen is the single most important quality.  titanium is a very low elasticity metal, it is just stronger than steel pound for pound...it is more corrosion resistant.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_773.html

Recent Posts