foambymail latex - who owns it?
Sep 30, 2007 2:44 PM
I am hoping to order a latex mattress in the near future and am strongly leaning towards foambymail as their prices fit my budget best.  I know about the ongoing debate over where foambymail gets their latex from, but I'm willing to accept that. 

Any feedback from users who have ordered a latex mattress or topper from foambymail would be much appreciated.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2007 by jiffy524
Re: foambymail latex - who owns it?
Reply #5 Oct 2, 2007 12:17 PM
Foam Nerd
How about the SULTAN LILLÅKER ? This offers the adjustable support that I think is the secret to the flexible slat foundation.

These prices are amazing. Literally a FRACTION of anything else I have seen.
Reply #6 Oct 2, 2007 2:13 PM
haysdb - This looks like a great find.  Too bad more or all of the slats aren't adjustable.  Note that we are getting off topic here.
This message was modified Oct 2, 2007 by kbell
Reply #7 Oct 2, 2007 4:20 PM
Foam Nerd
kbell wrote:
haysdb - This looks like a great find.  Too bad more or all of the slats aren't adjustable.  Note that we are getting off topic here.

Agreed. There is a thread on adjustable slat foundations. This topic would fit in perfectly there.

Since this foundation is user-assembled, I wonder if the positions of the adjustable slats are fixed? On mine I firmed up the three pairs of slats in my hips area and that's all.

Reply #8 Oct 2, 2007 9:09 PM
haysbd, I agree with you on Foambymail's ability to be very  hazy in their answers as to the manufacturer of their foam.  It really seems to serve no purpose, if you are looking to buy LI latex, then you probably have done your research and are going know that you are not getting LI latex.  Let me know what you determine when you receive your topper.  Thanks for the information about slat foundations, I will have to look into it.  I am thinking that I might have to add a couple more inches of latex just that there is no way possible that I am getting through all of the layers. 

Jiffy524, I am 250lbs, so at 100lbs lighter, I think that you should be ok with 6", if you start with the 6" and are happy then you saved money, if not, you can easily add layers to it.

WOW, look at those slatted bed prices, does this thing just lay on the floor or do you need a foundation for it?
This message was modified Oct 2, 2007 by schippec
Reply #9 Oct 2, 2007 11:11 PM
Foam Nerd
schippec wrote:
WOW, look at those slatted bed prices, does this thing just lay on the floor or do you need a foundation for it?

They wouldn't work properly without some space below the slats because under load the slats can flex downward by a couple of inches. But I honestly don't know what the frame requirements are. Anything suitable for conventional slats I suppose.
Reply #10 Oct 3, 2007 8:11 PM
That is what I was thinking, but thought that it was odd that they would sell the wood slats but not the frame that it would go into.  I wonder if it is meant to fit into a metal mattress frame.  I would rather have a in a platform type bed frame, but I have never seen those being sold with the ability to mount a wood slat insert in it.  If anyone has any ides, let me know.
Reply #11 Oct 4, 2007 9:54 AM
Ikea sells bed frames, that are meant for their slatted bases.  I'm not sure who else makes a bed that requires a separate slatted base, so you could purchase their frame and Ikea's base.
Reply #12 Oct 4, 2007 12:01 PM
Foam Nerd
Wouldn't most frames accommodate slats? As long as it has rails along the side?
Reply #13 Oct 4, 2007 12:30 PM
In theory, yes, the only issue I am aware of is that with most IKEA frame comes a HAMAR (their name) midbeam, which runs from the headboard to the footboard to provide center support.  I am only familiar with them in name, as I haven't bought my bed yet.  Metal frames, I do know, offer their support width wise, from left to right, not headboard to footboard.  I think that could interfere with the flexible slat foundation.  I believe I have also seen metal full bed frames which do not have any width-wise supports, but I don't know if that HAMAR midbeam would work with that.
Reply #14 Oct 4, 2007 3:45 PM
Foam Nerd
You would actually need midbeam support for a king, since those foundations are split, but I don't think the Queen slat foundations are split (?), so it would cause a problem there.

Recent Posts